New Member, need some advice - VTXOA
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

New Member, need some advice

I recently picked up a low miles (11,000) 2003 VTX1300. It wasn't run much last year. Maybe 100 miles. I know it was stored with stablil, as I personally went over there and put some in the bike when he put it away.

It'll run with the choke out approx 1/4".It's not perfect, it'll hesitate a small amount off the line, but it runs "okay". With the choke in, all the way, I can adjust the black A/F mixture knob and get it to idle (it's approx 2.5 turns out), but it hesitates and bogs significantly with small throttle inputs. I think she's idling a bit low, but I didn't have my timing light with built in tach to measure.

It does pop a little on decel, mostly when off the throttle and coasting. So I'm thinking lean?

I started by running some fuel injector type cleaner through the first tank. Didn't really notice a difference. After some research I leaned about the choke and how running the bike with the choke on fouls plugs. I removed those today, and looked at them. Left side plugs looked a little lean, the right side plugs were clearly rich and sooty. I sprayed them, cleaned them, and put them back in. No real change in the dynamics of the bike. ( I took pictres I can upload tomorrow). I don;t have a problem replacing the plugs, but I'm guessing they aren't the problem here.

I did look inside the carb while it was running (through the airbox) and when I open the throttle, the diaphragm piston(the black piston that moves up and down with throttle input) seems to erratically move up and down. Not sure if this is normal or not. I took the cover of the vacuum chamber off and looked inside, it's not torn or ripped. Opening the throttle gas quirts out of the accelerator pump nozzle just fine.

I did put Hard Chrome pipes on it(came with the bike). I've read a lot of people don't change the jets out just for pipes and don't have a problem. The bike ran the same before the pipes. Supposedly when the Previous Owner put the factory pipes back on, the dealership rejetted the carb to factory state. I'm guessing that's BS because a lot of clips/clamps have been replaced, but everything on the carb is the original style. Who knows if the carb was ever rejetted when the Hard Chrome pipes were first put on.

Besides taking the carb off, removing the bowl and looking at the floats/main and slow jet/ for obvious corrosion or problems, What else should I investigate? the top of the carb is off, so I'll remove the carb of the bike this weekend, take the bowl out and see what we have. Maybe I'll be lucky and it'll be an obvious clogged jet.

I obviously have the tank off, and I've checked the lines and removed the fuel filter (to replace). Nothing obviously out of place.

Is the pair valve notorious for causing issues? Haven't gotten that far either.Downloading the manual/printing off relevant sections to investigate the pair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:59 PM

Replace all your vacuum hoses. 16 yo hoses probably have a leak somewhere. Cheap and hopefully easy fix. I would also drop the bowl and remove and clean the slow jet. Those tiny holes can get gunked up easily after sitting for so long.

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:12 PM

Garage
Welcome from Sunny So Calif.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:27 PM

Location: I live in the UK in South Yorkshire in a town called Rotherham
Once you get her sorted run her as much as you possibly can. If you have to leave her for a while make sure you run her every week until she is thoroughly warmed through. That will help immensely. All engines (but especially Bike engines) are meant to be run REGULARLY. Usually, the more you ride the more reliable they will be. welcome from Mad England
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:09 AM

Cool

Welcome from Daytona Beach, enjoy and ride safely.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:06 PM

Seafoam
RBS and ecornwell like this.

2003 VTX1300S
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got it all buttoned up back together last night, and it still won't run without the choke. It had to crank quite a bit before it would even try and fire.
I've been playing with it today, and the bike seems to immediately die when it starts.

What I've Done:

Removed and Cleaned/regapped to .031 all spark plugs

New Gas with Fuel System Cleaner

Removed Carb from Bike, cleaned out bowl, both jets, bowl drain screw, floats. Confirmed float allows gas(or carb cleaner) to flow into bowl by gently manually actuating the float and needle. The jets all soaked for 24 hours in carb cleaner, were soft wire brushed clean, resprayed, and compressed air blasted.

New Fuel Filter (bike is 2003) and I've confirmed the arrow on the fuel filter is going into the bike. There is no screen in the main line to the carburetor on the 2003.

Visually inspected all removed hoses for cracks/breaks, etc. Replaced as needed.

I checked the diapgram in the dark with a LED flashlight, no cracks or pin holes seen.

Accelerator pump circuit was cleaned.

I removed the A/F screw, spring, washer and o-ring. Cleaned and replaced. Screwed it until gently snug, then backed out 2 1/4 turns.

The Idle Speed has been adjusted so that the CAM is raised approx 1/4". So it's ballpark in the right place for approx 900rpms.

I ended up not doing the SCAR mod, only because the bike is stock except the Hard Chrome exhaust, and should run fine.

So it's now worse after having cleaned everything out. The bike won't stay running. I followed this thread over on vtxcafe because it was about the closest issue I found that explained how to do stuff, etc. I had almost identical initial issues, except my bike would only run with the choke out about 1/4 of the way.
https://www.vtxcafe.com/threads/only...hoke-in.64314/

From start to finish, besides replacing the jets with the FP kit, it looks like I've done everything he did. I did confirm the O-ring on the A/F mixture screw he was missing was in place and in good shape.

Also, my main spring ( the one in the diapram) is only about 7.5" long. I've read in a few places there are short 5" springs in the re-jet kids, or the stock one is 9" long... Anyone got any ideas on this? Maybe I have the correct, factory spring.

I'm guessing something isn't plugged in correctly.

This happens with or without the choke on. No different. Runs the same 1/2 second before shutting off.

Is there something silly i forgot to plug back in? I'm was wondering if the diagram isn't seated correctly in the groove for the piston, but I took it off and its perfectly in the groove.

if I keep rolling on and off the throttle quickly, the bike will stay running, but won't idle. I've tried adjusting the idle speed up a few turns, and back down to no avail, no difference at all.

I didn't have any "extra" parts when I put it all back together, so there must be something connected wrong. If I run the bike without the air cleaner and I put my hand over the stock intake hole, the engine seems to straighten out for a second before it dies. So I'm guessing there is a big vacuum leak somewhere, but I can't Identify where. Both of the hoses are connected on the back of the intake, nothing seems to be out of place.

The gasket is in place between the intake and in the carb. The hose clamps on the carb to the manifold are tight. Maybe the bowl gasket didn't seat correctly? I'm sort of out of ideas of where to look.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick update, I can get the bike to run on the choke, about 1/3 of the way out. It'll idle and rev in neutral,but when I give it throttle smooth and slow and bucks and wants to die. Quick snaps of the throttle seem okay. I'm thinking the accelerator pump is working fine, but maybe the slow jet is stuck? If I pull the choke all the way out, it dies. If I push it all the way in, it dies.

I cleaned everything out when I took them apart.

Removed and Cleaned/regapped to .031 all spark plugs
New Gas with Fuel System Cleaner
Removed Carb from Bike, cleaned out bowl, both jets, bowl drain screw, floats. Confirmed float allows gas(or carb cleaners) to flow into bowl by gently manually actuating the float and needle. The jets all soaked for 24 hours in carb cleaner, were soft wire brushed clean, resprayed, and compressed air blasted.
New Fuel Filter (bike is 2003) and I've confirmed the arrow on the fuel filter is going into the bike. There is no screen in the main line to the carburetor on the 2003.
Visually inspected all removed hoses for cracks/breaks, etc. Replaced as needed.
I checked the diapgram in the dark with a LED flashlight, no cracks or pin holes seen.
Accelerator pump circuit was cleaned.
I removed the A/F screw, spring, washer and o-ring. Cleaned and put back. Screwed it until gently snug, then backed out 2 1/4 turns.
The Idle Speed has been adjusted so that the CAM is raised approx 1/4". So it's ballpark in the right place, at least according to the other thread.

The jets, they just screw back in, right? It's not like I could have installed them wrong, I looked at the manual diagram.

It runs similarly to how it would before I took the carb apart, when I would run without a choke, but now at 1/3 choke.

It seems like a vacuum leak is going on somewhere, but I cant find anything out of place, everything seems like its connected properly.

I'm wondering if there was something stupid I just forgot to put back in and didn't even notice.

The jets, both slow and main just screw back in until snug, right?
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 04:19 PM
bdm

I use Seafoam
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:02 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Don't ride any bike with the choke on, ever. You're just causing more things to be fixed, now your plugs will be fouled up so until those are cleaned or changed, you won't get a true feeling for how the engine is running and you'll be chasing your tail
nate6966 likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page