2006 VTX 1300 Vibrations? - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

2006 VTX 1300 Vibrations?

Tried to post this earlier to no avail but it seems to be working now. Anyhoo...

So I'm fairly new to riding and definitely new to a vtwin. Bought this bike off a navy seal friend of mine. Very well cared for with only 16k miles on it. Runs great, starts up in the morning with little effort and in warm weather doesn't even need the choke really. Warms up pretty quick. Engine is fairly smooth but...

At around what I believe to be around 2000ish rpms (no tach so impossible to really tell) I get some fairly mean vibration. Once I hit that "sweet spot" it lasts for maybe 500-700 rpms or so. When cruising with a light hand on the throttle the vibes aren't that noticeable really but they are certainly there. But once I go wide open throttle from a lower rpm range (which I know is lugging it a bit, but I don't want to cruise at 3500+ rpms at all times) the vibes get pretty intense. Mostly felt in the saddle. Its not intensely uncomfortable or anything but I am a bit paranoid about "less than smooth" engine characteristics and I'm not used to a v twin so I want to make sure I catch problems early before they become big problems.

This very well may be the characteristic of the bike. Its got some loud pipes and for all I know the vibes I'm feeling may just be the sound reverberating on the chassis. The mirrors rattle enough to make distant cars indistinguishable for their model when the vibes are at their worst but still plenty visible. Nothing I don't think one would come to expect from a motorcycle with a v twin rumbling. Its just those intense vibes in the seat in that very specific rpm range that has me paranoid.

So my question is this. Is this normal? Am I just being over critical or should this thing be as smooth as a car through all the rpm ranges? How much vibration is normal and what is considered "too much"? I'm more than comfortable with the feeling of what's going on. I just want to know it's normal so I can be at peace with it. And if it's not, what I need to do to fix it.

I've already put a wrench to all the motor mounts and everything was tight and the engine is snug to the frame as you would expect it to be. When revving up in neutral while sitting in my garage the motor doesn't visibly shake or act weird or anything. Only mod the bike has performance wise is a kuryakyn hypercharger with jets and all that, and I dunno what's going on with the exhaust but it's beastly loud and the videos I've seen of these stock seem to be quieter so he may have done something with the exhaust. I recently changed all the lube and swapped out the spark plugs. Idles like a machine gun. Steady and with gusto.

Can anyone elaborate here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and I'm 6'6" and about 380. Pushing the limits of 2 up riding as a single rider. Not sure if this info is pertinent to anything but I figure id put that out there in case people notice more vibes when pushing the motor harder riding heavy 2 up.
steveroy60 likes this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:53 PM

Garage
1300 has some unique vibrations.
First check vacuum hoses. OEM hoses crack/split on the inside. Hypercharger hoses have broken and fell off.
A had a set of JC Whitney mufflers on once, a very strong vibe at 52 MPH.
My post from July 2017 >Metzler me888 rear tire creates a weird harmonic on de-cel between 30 to 27 mph that causes shock Covers to vibrate.
My Michelin Commander 2 seems to have some vibes at various RPMs.
Pull the clutch to isolate the engine from the drive train, wheels/tires at peak vibration.

Find out if you have another VTX rider out there to see what they think...Location???

Certain times I have seen the tank do some rocking, always wanted to video that.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,635 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 07-17-2019 at 12:01 AM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

No this is strictly an engine vibration. Engine runs great and has plenty of power and the issue is only in that very specific rpm range. Any rpm outside of that its no more vibratious than my lawnmower. If I pull the clutch its gone. Definitely engine related. In general, if I'm in neutral in the garage and I slowly bring the idle up the vibes come with it. Just not as pronounced. It's definitely a byproduct of putting it under load within that rpm range
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

And the more I lug it and wide open throttle it in that range, the heavier the vibration. Almost feels like a mild air hammer hitting the frame or something. Just vibrates my ass up a bit.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:02 AM

Garage
What gear and MPH are you lugging it?
Check those vacuum hoses?
Check carb and manifold clamps.
I can cruise at 45 MPH in 5th on flat ground but I do not accelerate from that speed. Downshift to accelerate.
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/7-vtx-1...ing-101-a.html

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,635 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 07-17-2019 at 08:10 AM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

It was working before Gunslinger but as a new member your first 5 posts must be seen and approved by a site moderator before they will show up on the public board. I now see at least 3 of this same thread waiting to be approved. Please, go to the New Member Welcome board and read the Sticky thread there that explains the rules of this board, thanks

AMA Life Member 721314
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger1776 View Post
Can anyone elaborate here?
All I have to add is my C had Cobra Shorts installed.
There was a noticeable vibration around 70MPH. A couple MPH above or below the bike was pretty smooth.
A friend riding beside me said he could see the pipes vibrating.

Also please include city & state and/or country in your profile...

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Its strictly on acceleration. And from the lower rPm range. Once I hit closer to 3000 rpms or so it evens out and the vibration is mild and steady. Generally only the worst when heavily accelerating at around 1500-2000 rpms or so.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

To add,I only really feel it much in the seat and on the floor boards. Mirrors don't even shake much.

As for my profile, I can't find a place to put more info. I added a photo and changed my time zone settings but that's about all it will let me do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in