Starting Issue. Runs, Dies, Can't Restart....But - Page 3 - VTXOA
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:57 PM

Just re-tap it to the next size. For future reference, the screws are not Phillips, you need a JIS screwdriver. Give you a bit better control over things.

PS- it's the fuel valve.
Cuthbert J Twillie likes this.

Last edited by Donnie Downer; 08-03-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

More observations from yesterday's fuel issue. The previous day I had cleaned all the jets/ports etc, inspected the float valve/needle etc. All looked great. Not anything strange going on that I could see up in the valve seat and valve/needle looked fine. Buttoned up, started fine went for a long ride. All is well. Yesterday, no start again so here's what I did. When attempting to start I choked, it ran for a couple of seconds then it flat out died.

At that point I wanted to see how much fuel was in the bowl so I drained it and there was maybe a tablespoon that I drained out. That's not much. That can't be right. But the thing is, after a successful ride. I turn off the bike and walk away. Float bowl should be full, shouldn't it? Here's where my knowledge is lacking. How much fuel should be in the bowl after a shutdown? That bowl should be "full" when shut off....shouldn't it? I know the float valve is regulating things on and off, but at shutdown, shouldn't there be more that a tablespoon of gas in the bowl?

My 2004 1300C

post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:47 AM

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Downer View Post
Yes, the way things should be. Simple. Thanks.

My 2004 1300C

post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Riviere Send a message via MSN to Earl Riviere Send a message via Yahoo to Earl Riviere
I have a nearly new Pingel fuel tap. I will let you have for 1/4th the price of new. Let me know. I still think your problem is in the float/needle set up, I bet it is hanging somewhere when on the kickstand. Try righting your bike before trying to start, and see if that works, give it a minute to fill the carb.

Earl"Tynker"Riviere
62 years behind bars
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Riviere View Post
I have a nearly new Pingel fuel tap. I will let you have for 1/4th the price of new. Let me know. I still think your problem is in the float/needle set up, I bet it is hanging somewhere when on the kickstand. Try righting your bike before trying to start, and see if that works, give it a minute to fill the carb.
It's really interesting you mention that. I wondered about that myself. On the stand it has a good lean on. Here's why I think you're probably right. On one occasion of trouble shooting, I had the bike on the stand, sitting upright, I hit the start button and it popped right off. Then you get into the cold/hot issue. It would only do it when cold. When I could get it started, when out for a ride with multiple shut downs, it would start fine on the stand. Who knows, who cares...it appears to be working now.

Thank you everyone for your input and help! I really appreciate it.

My 2004 1300C

Last edited by Cuthbert J Twillie; 08-08-2019 at 11:49 PM.
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

I've had two days with a successful cold start. The issue was so consistent I think it's fixed. This after a thorough carb cleaning. Uncertain of exactly why it was doing what it was doing, I guess it doesn't matter as long as it starts now. On start, it's a bit rough, needs a little throttle to smooth out for for a little bit, but finally settles out. I generally don't choke it unless it really needs it, that is will die out without being choked.

I've got Glens A/F adjuster on the carb. I've had it about 2 1/2 turns out. No backfires, when the throttle is blipped there's no catch up or lag back to idle, no hesitations in throttling up in any gear. I think it's set up about right.

I need to find some kind of tach to use to set idle speed. I'm not wanting to spend big bucks on it. I wonder what the shops use when bikes come in with no tach. Anyway, I think the cold start issue is fixed.
DrDolittle likes this.

My 2004 1300C

post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Riviere Send a message via MSN to Earl Riviere Send a message via Yahoo to Earl Riviere
I bought this one for my 1300 S, and it works well. It said make offer, so I offered $10.00 and seller said OK. It took 4 days to get here. Simple hook up.Mounted it to the top left riser bolt.

Earl"Tynker"Riviere
62 years behind bars

Last edited by Earl Riviere; 08-09-2019 at 09:43 PM.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthbert J Twillie View Post
Well heck, I guess it had to happen sooner or later. The last few times out I've had an issue getting the bike started. I always choke just a little, as soon as it starts I push the choke in and throttle it to warm up. The first time it died when I took it off choke. On restart it would run rough, then die out. No restart/no firing. I thought I had flooded it. I waited while the battery recharged and attempted again and got it going. Today, same scenario only after the wait....dead. Just turns over.

Here's what I've done.

1/ Checked the shut off valve/gas level. It's on and lots of gas. (I've closed it by mistake before).
2/ I took the air filter cover off. I checked to see when I blipped the throttle that I'd see a thread of gas going into the throat of the carb. Just a little spit on some blips, no stream other times. I believe I should be getting a steady stream with each blip? Correct?
3/ Tested vacuum line to shut off. Gas flow when cranked.

It appears to be a carb issue. Just guessing. Not a mechanic but learning.

I'm guessing this is as good as place to start as any. I mean, it's either no spark or no gas. It's clear that it appears to be starved for gas with the throttle test.

So now what? Is there anything else I should be checking? I'm thinking there's an issue with the throttle pump (can't remember the right term) isn't there a rubber component creating a vacuum? If It's cracked, it won't work properly. However, it's probably been 4 rides ago I had the first start issue. The bike (throttle) responded normally straight through all the rides. No hesitating etc. Clear throttle up with power. So not sure that's the issue. A bit confused at this point.

Vapor lock maybe?

Now is when I rely on the collective genius here on the forum for help. Thanks guys. Rog
My 2003 VTX1300 ran fine when I put it in storage 5 years ago

When I started it up a couple of weeks ago ,it had the same exact issue you are having

After adding new gas, a can of seafoam and taking it for a ride at WOT , mine now will only bog/stutter when the engine is cold

I'm thinking that the VTX is either still jealous of my new ride or it has a dirty jet
Harkon and Cuthbert J Twillie like this.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kn!ght View Post
My 2003 VTX1300 ran fine when I put it in storage 5 years ago

When I started it up a couple of weeks ago ,it had the same exact issue you are having

After adding new gas, a can of seafoam and taking it for a ride at WOT , mine now will only bog/stutter when the engine is cold

I'm thinking that the VTX is either still jealous of my new ride or it has a dirty jet
Likely feeling very neglected ... LOL.
Cuthbert J Twillie likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page