Starting Issue. Runs, Dies, Can't Restart....But - Page 5 - VTXOA
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:04 PM

Also check the plastic nut on the backside of your choke, to make sure that it is not loose
Cuthbert J Twillie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Riviere Send a message via MSN to Earl Riviere Send a message via Yahoo to Earl Riviere
Just for fun, and giggles, next time you ride, and get back home,remove the air cleaner housing, .When it gets cold, remove the float bowl, very carefully, not to disturb the float, and see if it is stuck in the up position, if it is, you found your problem. If that is the case, find out why it is stuck, and fix it.

Earl"Tynker"Riviere
62 years behind bars
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Riviere View Post
Just for fun, and giggles, next time you ride, and get back home,remove the air cleaner housing, .When it gets cold, remove the float bowl, very carefully, not to disturb the float, and see if it is stuck in the up position, if it is, you found your problem. If that is the case, find out why it is stuck, and fix it.
Related to your post.......
Parts should be here soon. Until then, I've been watching some vids on youtube from good sources (actual techs) and they talk about polishing the Float Valve Needle Seat. They both used Q tips chucked in a drill. One used PB Blaster to clean. Shane Conley had an actual set of various sized brushes for aggressive cleaning. I noticed when I had the carb apart, and looked at the seat, it looked "dirty" for lack of a better term or maybe marked. It wasn't shiny. I sometimes wonder if I should attempt to clean it. Anyone here ever done that??

Am I correct that the float valve needle seat is not replaceable? I saw somewhere a VTX Carb Kit online . It appeared to have a seat with an O ring. Is there a fuel strainer tied into this as well? So I'm wondering if it is replaceable. I was up to Partzilla but didn't see a seat or strainer.

Having said all this, I'm wondering if a dirty seat is part of the problem I'm having. As long as I have it apart, maybe attempt to clean it.

My 2004 1300C

post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
Keep the Q-tip away from the carb.

Someone within 6 weeks found a cotton ball in their 1300.
Fibers came off while rubbing probably.

Wire, spray or air only.

Read past threads.

Look at MR VTX CARB 101

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,882 VTX miles
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:30 PM

post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Keep the Q-tip away from the carb.

Someone within 6 weeks found a cotton ball in their 1300.
Fibers came off while rubbing probably.

Wire, spray or air only.

Read past threads.

Look at MR VTX CARB 101
Just found the Carb 101 yesterday, thanks. I did clean the seat with a Qtip chucked in a drill with some cleaner. Shane Conley teaches his tech students this method so I felt confident in doing it coupled with the fact I was very careful in blowing it out with air from both sides, inlet and seat side coupled with a lots of carb cleaner and more air. Lots of air. I let it dry and blew it out some more. Fibers aren't so small you can't see them where you can, if you take the time to look. I was concerned about fibers from the onset, but if Conley has done this for years I thought I'd try anyway with careful follow up cleaning. If he was having issues with fibers, I think he'd discover that years ago and stop doing it. If a person is careless in follow up cleaning after using them, sure I imagine you could run into trouble. I did get crap off and the seat is as shiney as ever. Looks much better than before. When I get the parts, I'll blow it out some more and see what happens. If I blow cotton balls out the tail pipe I'll have learned a lesson. Had I read your post before I did it, it would have given me pause to reconsider. But, it's done and I'm hoping for the best! Hopefully being extra diligent in followup cleaning will be the key. I would not use Qtips anywhere else on the carb. But a wet Qtip in that seat area only seems safe enough. We will see.

My 2004 1300C

Last edited by Cuthbert J Twillie; 08-15-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:56 AM

I canít help but think you are not on the right track. Iím no expert, just a backyard wrencher like yourself. But the float needle allows gas into the bowl, correct? Even if the needle was stuck closed, shouldnít there be enough fuel in the bowl from your last ride to start the bike?

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post
I can’t help but think you are not on the right track. I’m no expert, just a backyard wrencher like yourself. But the float needle allows gas into the bowl, correct? Even if the needle was stuck closed, shouldn’t there be enough fuel in the bowl from your last ride to start the bike?

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg
You would think so. I pulled the bowl off before I cold started it one time and there was just a tablespoon that drained out. Not much. Then I think, vacuum on the fuel valve but once the bike does start (after much fidgeting) there's no issue with fuel flow. It always reverts to the bike sitting and getting cold.

My 2004 1300C

post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

No go! New float/float needle.......Same old issue. I'm at a total loss at this point.

It started. Rough. Died. Gave it a little choke. Started. Throttled, rough, die, no restart.

I took the top of the carb apart yesterday when putting in new parts and the boot/rubber is fine, needle fine. Everything in the carb is either new or freshly clean and looking good. It strictly a cold start issue. When I got it together yesterday, it ran great as I mentioned above.

I just don't get it. Runs great once I can get it started. But a big no go on cold start.

What is it in cold starting that is doing this? Choke assbly issue?

I've got the A/F turned out 2 turns from 2 1/2. Leaned out. Is it choking on too much fuel? But runs OK when hot. Crank it down to 1 1/2?

Right now I feel pretty defeated. Dang!

My 2004 1300C

post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:23 PM

Garage
Since I bought my 1300C with the exception of a few weeks one summer, I have always pulled out the choke fully..

Never a problem. After it is running then I push it in where the choke is still providing high idle. Take off then after hitting 3rd or 4th gear push knob in..

Read the owner's manual?

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,882 VTX miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page