Starting Issue. Runs, Dies, Can't Restart....But - VTXOA
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Starting Issue. Runs, Dies, Can't Restart....But

Well heck, I guess it had to happen sooner or later. The last few times out I've had an issue getting the bike started. I always choke just a little, as soon as it starts I push the choke in and throttle it to warm up. The first time it died when I took it off choke. On restart it would run rough, then die out. No restart/no firing. I thought I had flooded it. I waited while the battery recharged and attempted again and got it going. Today, same scenario only after the wait....dead. Just turns over.

Here's what I've done.

1/ Checked the shut off valve/gas level. It's on and lots of gas. (I've closed it by mistake before).
2/ I took the air filter cover off. I checked to see when I blipped the throttle that I'd see a thread of gas going into the throat of the carb. Just a little spit on some blips, no stream other times. I believe I should be getting a steady stream with each blip? Correct?
3/ Tested vacuum line to shut off. Gas flow when cranked.

It appears to be a carb issue. Just guessing. Not a mechanic but learning.

I'm guessing this is as good as place to start as any. I mean, it's either no spark or no gas. It's clear that it appears to be starved for gas with the throttle test.

So now what? Is there anything else I should be checking? I'm thinking there's an issue with the throttle pump (can't remember the right term) isn't there a rubber component creating a vacuum? If It's cracked, it won't work properly. However, it's probably been 4 rides ago I had the first start issue. The bike (throttle) responded normally straight through all the rides. No hesitating etc. Clear throttle up with power. So not sure that's the issue. A bit confused at this point.

Vapor lock maybe?

Now is when I rely on the collective genius here on the forum for help. Thanks guys. Rog

My 2004 1300C

Last edited by Chicago-Spike; 08-02-2019 at 09:41 AM. Reason: title change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Update: Not fixed

See my post Below
DrDolittle and rwantin like this.

My 2004 1300C

Last edited by Cuthbert J Twillie; 08-02-2019 at 09:57 AM.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Riviere Send a message via MSN to Earl Riviere Send a message via Yahoo to Earl Riviere
Glad you figured it out, spray some silicone spray on the assembly, and get some riding in. ride safe, and often.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

After I thought I had found the problem, I have not. Still the same thing going on.

Here's what I'm seeing. I start it, idles few seconds and dies out. It may or may not start on a second try, but always dies and any other attempts the engine just turns. Dead, engine turns, no pop. I took the air box off to look at the carb. Just for the heck of it, I tapped the bowl. The bike starts and stays running. Normal. Throttle blips normal. I take the bike out for a long ride and have no issues with accelerating, idle or restarting if stopped. I've done this for the third time today. Always the same issue, always the same cure. The issue shows up on a cold engine. Once warmed after kicking the bowl, everything is hunky dory.

Second and third attempts are after using SeaFoam. It doesn't appear it's working. I've got 200 miles on with the SeaFoam.

Given the tapping on the bowl gets things going, I suspect a float/valve issue. Could this be possible? But only on a cold engine? Again, odd thing is, it runs great after the tapping on the bowl. No issues at all. Here's where I need your help.

FYI-When I bought the bike, the guy had a custom air box and re-jetted the carb. I brought it back to stock parts. Been running great since until now. Thanks for your help!

My 2004 1300C

Last edited by Cuthbert J Twillie; 08-02-2019 at 12:21 AM.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:06 AM

Garage
I would consider the petcock possibly. Somehow a vaccum could be holding up the float valve.. Is the problem the needle/float or the petcock.. Try the petcock mod to see if that affects the outcome.

Look up Heffly, he had same/similar issues.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,635 VTX miles
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:42 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

It's best to keep all your posts about the same problem in 1 thread. That way you, and people that are trying to help, don't have to bounce around from thread to thread looking to see what was done and suggested
Cuthbert J Twillie likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

I tested the vacuum on the petcock. Opens and moves gas freely.

My 2004 1300C

post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:56 AM

Definitely sounds like the petcock. Get rid of that vacuum actuated crap.
I use a standard on/off/reserve valve without all the nanny state safety bullcrap.

When you pull the gas line to test flow, you break the vacuum that was preventing it from starting and it appears to test fine. Next time it happens, pull the gas line then stick it back on. I bet it will start. Been there, done that.
Cuthbert J Twillie likes this.

Last edited by Donnie Downer; 08-02-2019 at 10:08 AM.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Downer View Post
Definitely sounds like the petcock. Get rid of that vacuum actuated crap.
I use a standard on/off/reserve valve without all the nanny state safety bullcrap.

When you pull the gas line to test flow, you break the vacuum that was preventing it from starting and it appears to test fine. Next time it happens, pull the gas line then stick it back on. I bet it will start. Been there, done that.
I understand what your saying about the nanny state stuff. I'll have to look into changing that over. I like that idea!

Right now though, I'm thinking it's the float/needle sticking. Because I just found a fix by tapping the float bowl. It dies, can't restart, I tap the bowl and the bike runs fine until it cools down.

My 2004 1300C

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:38 AM

What's the history of the bike, has it sat for long periods of time without use? Gas left in it unused for long periods of time? If so, i would say your a candidate for a carb cleaning (beyond Seafoam). there's a youtube video on how to do it if your handy or feel handy.

jackk likes this.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page