Sluggish - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Sluggish

OK, real quick. Bike started running sluggishly yesterday. I checked the ECM wires, all are good. I want to buy a spark plug tester, my question is if the plug is bad and not firing, will the tester still light up? Or do I have to take out the plug?

It's not the speed....it's that sudden stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:59 AM

I don't understand. Plug removal is easy enough, and if you're going to just 'go and buy a plug tester', just buy a new plug or several and change them.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4u View Post
I don't understand. Plug removal is easy enough, and if you're going to just 'go and buy a plug tester', just buy a new plug or several and change them.
Lol. I have the plugs already. I’m just not a mechanical kinda person so if I replace the plugs and it is still rough, I don’t know what to do next. Ok, so I’ll replace plugs first then see. Thank you for your help. I’ll be back.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:04 AM

Garage
I had a similar issue and it ended up being the battery. I took a volt meter to it and it showed proper voltage but when I took it to the dealership, they put it on a tester and the tester said replace. After it was replaced, it's been running great again. I changed the plugs prior to taking it and it helped a little but still felt like it was missing ever few rpm.
rangers4u likes this.

2005 - VTX 1800F - Silver
2008 - Shadow Aero 750
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmkehoe View Post
OK, real quick. Bike started running sluggishly yesterday. I checked the ECM wires, all are good. I want to buy a spark plug tester, my question is if the plug is bad and not firing, will the tester still light up? Or do I have to take out the plug?
If one of them won't fire, probably you won't really notice it, but you can test them one by one without a tester. In most caseses a visual check is enough, though.
Before buying a tester, I'd check grunds, battery cables, fuel delivery (because yours a 2nd generation VTX 1800). How many miles on the plugs? If not over 100k, I wouldn't waste any money on replacing them.
Edit:
Ooops, I got confused. This is the 1300 tech board and you have a VTX 1300 not 1800. So, your plugs won't last that long and it was a good idea to change them. The 1300's plugs are different and cheaper from the 1800's IR plugs...
dud-57 likes this.

VTX 1800/280

Last edited by ervin260; 08-03-2019 at 03:47 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecornwell View Post
I had a similar issue and it ended up being the battery. I took a volt meter to it and it showed proper voltage but when I took it to the dealership, they put it on a tester and the tester said replace. After it was replaced, it's been running great again. I changed the plugs prior to taking it and it helped a little but still felt like it was missing ever few rpm.
The AMPERAGE or LOAD tester is the one that confirms if a battery is good or not. Agree that would be a good place to start, but if someone has a problem with getting plugs out then they are going to be really reluctant to remove the seat to get to the battery box.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Ok. Got one plug out, then wife says “let’s go shopping “
This plug is black, kinda sooty, and a little damp looking.
I’m still in Shoprite. .. to be continued.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

OK, changed my plugs. Gapped them all to 33. Enclosed is the picture of the old plugs. They were all gapped between 34 and 36. The bike runs like a top now. None of the plugs look worse than the others. I can’t understand why it started running so poorly all at once. Thank you all for your help.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Sorry. Lol. Forget to add pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7CCD8D56-D52E-4F6E-9A4D-0DEE9A40E2EE_1564769815279.jpg (314.4 KB, 10 views)

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

****update****. My friend, a Harley rider but I like him anyway, says it looks like an over-rich situation. And then it dawned on me, when I started it up in the morning, I fully choked it, and never reset the choke. So maybe that’s what it was .?.
RBS likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in