Gas Leaking Out of Air Filter - Next Steps - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Gas Leaking Out of Air Filter - Next Steps

So I finally got my 2003 1300 running well. After cleaning the carb a couple of times, I finally freed up a mesh/soggy gelatinous piece from the idle circuit and the bike ran pretty well, until Sunday.

I was on my way home, and all of a sudden the bike dead, I couldn't get it running, and all of a sudden I smelled gas, and noticed gas dripping from the air cleaner. I was on the side of the road, and only had an allen wrench, so I used that and a rock to gently tap the carb thinking the float was stuck. To my surprise, it worked. So I drove it home, around the neighborhood, let it sit, took it back out for ice cream later, everything was fine. I chalked it up to "the float/needle stuck, I've heard that happens and all is well". I've seen it happen on cars before. Even searched here and a few mentioned it happened, they tapped them, and they worked great for years more.

Today on the way to work, it died and gas dripping again. My first question, Does the 2003 have a fuel pressure regulator because it has a fuel pump?

Secondly, for those of you that have ditched the fuel pump and gone gravity fed, how did you route the line from the tank to the carb?

Looks like I'm at least taking the tank, the air cleaner body, and the bottom of the carb off, because either the float is stuck, or the gasket at the needle is ruined or the fuel pump is pumping more psi than the needle can handle. Seems like a good opportunity to ditch the fuel pump as it's 16 years old, and it's eventually going to fail and leave me stranded.

Ive found a couple threads that talk about not changing the petcock and just turning the fuel supply off at night. I'm fine with that, but do I have to change anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:15 PM

Garage
You can chose either hose on petcock to carb or carb to FP.
Carb to FP is the best choice if hoses are the same size.
Remove petcock hose, cut FP to carb hose near FP, swing it over to the petcock.
Disconnect the FP electrical connector..

NO FPR, low pressure pump or pressure relief valve inside FPR.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,635 VTX miles
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
You can chose either hose on petcock to carb or carb to FP.
Carb to FP is the best choice if hoses are the same size.
Remove petcock hose, cut FP to carb hose near FP, swing it over to the petcock.
Disconnect the FP electrical connector..

NO FPR, low pressure pump or pressure relief valve inside FPR.

You're saying there a pressure relif valve inside the fuel pressure regulator?? But there isn't a fuel pressure regulator?

And theres enough gravity pressure, to run the line from the petcock down to the pump, and back up to the carb? It's going to go downhill from the tank to the fuel pump line, then have to go uphill back to carb.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 03:13 PM

Garage
Cut the hose somewhere.

Gravity flow will not work through pump.

Pump may have bypass valve to go back to intake side when running and engine stopped.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,635 VTX miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page