Bike just stopped - Page 2 - VTXOA
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for everyone's responses, I ask again for everyone's forgiveness as I have not worked on any engine in over 10 years and have forgot even the basic troubleshooting.

It turned out to be the 10 amp ignition starter fuse, I replaced it with the spare hit the start button the bike turned over after that I proceeded to put everything back together.
Once everything was assembled I hit the start button go for a ride and nothing... The fuse was blown again.

Took the 10 amp fuse out for the headlight put it in started the bike Let it run for a few minutes turned it off and started it again.
Not sure what I'm dealing with here, when I ever hit the start button the headlight goes out as it should.

Am I looking at badd starter switch assembly that's causing the starter Ignition fuse to blow?

Last edited by Thee_Oddball; 09-05-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:11 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Take the starter button apart and clean it up and grease it again
Thee_Oddball likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:12 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

From the How To board;
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/73-how-...itch-mtce.html
Thee_Oddball likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:36 PM

Garage
>>> Let it run for a few minutes turned it off and started it again.<<<< IT cranked/ran or fuse blew again???

Not much on the starter switch that can short out.

Any mods?? Handlebars??

Yellow/Red wire from Starter switch to 9 pin RED connector to Starter Relay terminal.

Shunt slides from Headlight contacts(+12v and wire to Dimmer switch) to Starter Relay contacts (+12v and wire to starter relay).

Black/White wire feeds the Starter Switch and the Ignition coils.

Black wire from fuse feeds Kill switch and Ignition Control Module(ICM) AND 2003 ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP.. <<<PRIME SUSPECT<<<
All the wires mentioned here are on the 9 pin RED connector fed by IGN/Start fuse.

Inspect wiring, look for loose or exposed wire,move it while IGN ON not running.
Turn the HB full travel..

Fuel pump also has a relay.. Disconnect it to see if fuse trouble goes away.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rattlebars Honda Starter Switch mtce.pdf (598.5 KB, 1 views)

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-05-2019 at 10:47 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
>>> Let it run for a few minutes turned it off and started it again.<<<< IT cranked/ran or fuse blew again???

Not much on the starter switch that can short out.

Any mods?? Handlebars??

Yellow/Red wire from Starter switch to 9 pin RED connector to Starter Relay terminal.

Shunt slides from Headlight contacts(+12v and wire to Dimmer switch) to Starter Relay contacts (+12v and wire to starter relay).

Black/White wire feeds the Starter Switch and the Ignition coils.

Black wire from fuse feeds Kill switch and Ignition Control Module(ICM) AND 2003 ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP.. <<<PRIME SUSPECT<<<
All the wires mentioned here are on the 9 pin RED connector fed by IGN/Start fuse.

Inspect wiring, look for loose or exposed wire,move it while IGN ON not running.
Turn the HB full travel..

Fuel pump also has a relay.. Disconnect it to see if fuse trouble goes away.

Went for a ride tonight no problems, stopped for dinner got back on the bike and continued our trip, stopped in a parking lot and was talking to my girlfriend and the bike died...ignition fuse was blown again, I had 4 extra fuses with me, every time the bike was about to start the fuse blow.

1 time the bike started and I got 20 feet and the motor died...because I can see no exposed wires and there is no repeatable conditions I am leaning towards the fuel pump as the culprit via advice above.

As soon as I find the issue I will post all related info to help the next person, thanks again guys for your help
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Today, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

is this guy bypassing the fuel relay? can some one explain what he has done?

I am trying to find any way to fix my bike so I dont have to load the monster on a trailer again (still sitting in the parking lot where it died) I am on my way now to see if the relay is in fact the problem, I will also take fuel line with me and see if i can by pass the fuel pump.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Today, 12:12 PM

Garage
It is a video of an 1800 with no fuel pump prime. I had to look up the poster to verify 1800.

Remove the FP power connector.

Remove hose from the petcock to the fuel pump.

Cut the hose from fuel pump to carb far enough back to swing the cut end to the petcock.

You should now have a hose from petcock to carb.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2003 1300 VTX Fuel Pump location.png (110.6 KB, 5 views)

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; Today at 12:27 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Today, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
It is a video of an 1800 with no fuel pump prime. I had to look up the poster to verify 1800.

Remove the FP power connector.

Remove hose from the petcock to the fuel pump.

Cut the hose from fuel pump to carb far enough back to swing the cut end to the petcock.

You should now have a hose from petcock to carb.
Put a new fuse and tried to start the bike fuse blew immediately, disconnected fuel Relay bike started up immediately ran until fuel in the bowl went empty.

I'm going to try and bypass The fuel pump.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Today, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Bypass is complete, Bike started up I let it idle for a bit and revved it a few times it seems be getting adequate fuel so hopefully I am done &#x1f601;&#x1f601;
I'm just guessing that the fuel pump was going badd and drawing too much voltage and/or the relay.

Thanks again for everyone's help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190915_123505_1568569085902.jpg (311.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190915_123443_1568569103751.jpg (137.3 KB, 5 views)
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Today, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Lol I drive the bike to a gas station top off the tank drive home turn the bike off for 5 minutes while waiting for my girlfriend and now I'm not getting any fuel.
I suspect the fuel line might be level with the petcock.
At least the original problem has been dealt with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page