Exhaust seating problem - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust seating problem

So i took my pipes off to rewrap my baffles and I've had nothing but problems trying to seat the pipes again properly. Had 2 exhaust studs come out and for the life of me i can't get the front pipe tightened down enough. I can hear it sucking air and I've taken them off a few times and never had any issues. Also the bottom exhaust nut on the front pipe is only possible to turn with an open end wrench which still fits awkwardly and kind of strips the head of the nut slowly. Any tips? I don't have the heat shields on either makes it even more awkward to tighten the exhaust nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:34 AM
RBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
So i took my pipes off to rewrap my baffles and I've had nothing but problems trying to seat the pipes again properly. Had 2 exhaust studs come out and for the life of me i can't get the front pipe tightened down enough. I can hear it sucking air and I've taken them off a few times and never had any issues. Also the bottom exhaust nut on the front pipe is only possible to turn with an open end wrench which still fits awkwardly and kind of strips the head of the nut slowly. Any tips? I don't have the heat shields on either makes it even more awkward to tighten the exhaust nuts.
Put a washer (Or 2) on the studs on top of the pipe before you put the nut on.
I think, though I may be wrong, I had to buy a Thin Wall socket for the bottom bolt.

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

'05 1300 S. BAK Slimline, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles, Ultimate Big Boy, Saddlemen Drifter Bags. 6,700 Miles. Sold.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:07 AM

I second using washers on the stud.2 usually will do it . Those nuts tend to bottom out before they clamp the pipe down . Did have some success using a short 3/8 drive socket with universal joint extension on it for that lower front ex nut . try to tighten the ex pipe nuts down evenly and use new gasket on each pipe . eo

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:50 AM

Garage
Are you using the OEM head pipes?
There is the "UP" on RR OEM pipe I looked at.
You wrapped too close to the flanges IMO.
Leave a gap and it should be easy to tighten.
Using the OEM acorn nuts? Use regular nuts!!!

Exhaust gasket - using old or new??

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Not oem pipes Vance and Hines big shots. I'm talking about wrapping the quiet baffles inside the pipes not heat wrapping the actual pipes. Yes to oem acorn nuts and i did order a new set of 4 because that one in particular was stripped. I admittedly didn't replace the gaskets but had never been an issue before. Use regular nuts? What size would fit on the exhaust studs.

Last edited by Zeek; 08-22-2019 at 10:34 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:48 AM
JPT

Garage
Quote:
Not oem pipes Vance and Hines big shots. I'm talking about wrapping the quiet baffles inside the pipes not heat wrapping the actual pipes. Yes to oem acorn nuts and i did order a new set of 4 because that one in particular was stripped. I admittedly didn't replace the gaskets but had never been an issue before. Use regular nuts? What size would fit on the exhaust studs.
M8 (8mm) X 1.25. I got open ended nuts (no one can see them but you).
RBS likes this.

2009 VTX1300R
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah that totally doesn't bother me about the look with regular nuts Thanks for the info on nut and thread type. I just find it bizarre that this time which is about the 4th time I've had the exhaust off that i can't seem to get the nuts tightened down properly. Always worked before. Go figure.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:27 AM

Garage
Are the studs seated completely??
An un-threaded area between the threaded ends.

Stud in soft aluminum, get it in as far as possible with minimal torque.
Do not strip threads on the aluminum.
Anti-seize or moly paste, I use them on the threads.

An acorn nut fell off many years ago, the de-cel explosions were loud!

On a late Sunday, got home, considered the possibilities, found a 5/16" nut.
Drilled and tapped it to metric.. 1/2" socket or wrench to tighten.. Its works well, this after many years on lower front cylinder exhaust stud.
DrDolittle likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:40 AM
JPT

Garage
Quote:
Oh yeah that totally doesn't bother me about the look with regular nuts Thanks for the info on nut and thread type. I just find it bizarre that this time which is about the 4th time I've had the exhaust off that i can't seem to get the nuts tightened down properly. Always worked before. Go figure.
The exhaust gaskets are single use, did you change them each time? They are going to apply the correct amount of resistance on the flanges, so that the 17 ft lbs torque is the keeps everything nice and tight.

I would imagine that if you didn't change the gaskets, it would require more torque to keep the nuts in place, which is an issue because you can strip the studs or worse damage the engine case where the studs attach.
VTXArizona likes this.

2009 VTX1300R
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i guess I'll order a couple sets of gaskets and just have spares. No i didn't change them so good chance that's what's causing that gap allowing air in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page