Question on Coolant Change / Burping / Fan - VTXOA
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hans&Feet

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Question on Coolant Change / Burping / Fan

Not an urgent item, but I have done a few searches and couldn't find an answer, so here goes another coolant question:

I did a coolant drain and refill on my 1300 a few months back. After the refill, I ran the engine a few minutes with the radiator cap off and blipped the throttle, but really didn't see any air bubbles. Overflow level is ok at the low line. I didn't think much of it, and closed it up and haven't thought about it much. Have been on many rides with no issues whatsoever. Then I recently put on some fork deflectors for buffeting, and am just now noticing how hot the engine gets near my legs, so then I got to thinking back to the coolant change and the "no air bubbles", and wondering if I could have air pockets in the system somewhere.

Just to note, my radiator fan is working fine, it turns on now and then.

My question is, since my fan is working and I have not had any overheating type issues, am I just getting paranoid about the extra heat (likely due to the new fork deflectors?). Is there a definitive way to know if there is air in the system? Does the radiator fan turn on ONLY in response to coolant in the radiator? --- or can it turn on even if there is no coolant flowing in the radiator?

I'll probably wind up doing a radiator/coolant top off and try to get some air bubbles, but just wanted to throw it out there to see what you fellas think.

Thanks,
Leeac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:03 PM

When i changed mine i ran the engine with the radiator cap off for like 10+ mins and rocked the bike up-down from the handlebars (like you were checking stem bearings) until the water started to bubble out , then refilled (a few oz) and repeated, refilled then closed her up. Fan runs when the bike is at a standstill after a full ride, like when i get home and i'm getting the bike in the chock i park it in. i.e. bike is at full temp then left to stand in place for 2-3 mins.

Last coolant change i didnt do, the dealer did it while doing the Valve/Tappet adjustment (about a year ago). Bike act the same with fan etc.

One thing i have noticed is i have NEVER had to add coolant and the level still moves from low to high in the reservoir when bike is cold/hot. Almost scary good.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)

Last edited by VTXArizona; 08-23-2019 at 04:23 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:25 PM

Garage
The only valid way to see if cooling system is full is raise the tank remove the cap, stick your finger in the thermostat housing.

Deflectors probably blowing air further back.

>>Does the radiator fan turn on ONLY in response to coolant in the radiator? --- or can it turn on even if there is no coolant flowing in the radiator?

Fan switch is at the bottom at the radiator. If it was over a fire, the fan switch would close to turn fan on, IGN On required.....
Coolant specs in attachment.

If you did not get all the air out, if the system is closed, then it would probably push air out at the top as it was heating.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1300 coolant switch-fan switch specs.png (93.2 KB, 5 views)
VTXArizona likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,834 VTX miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page