Headlight supplements - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Headlight supplements

So I opted to get a vtx daymaker to replace my stock headlight which is a vast improvement to the stock light, at least for low beams. Unfortunately the model I chose has a very anemic high beam and so I'm looking for something that I can add to the existing turn signal bar below the headlamp to wire in to my high beams that will just demolish the darkness for far beyond what I'm even capable of seeing. I'm talking KC daylighters here. Intense spotlights. But something that is chrome and looks like it belongs on a motorcycle. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:38 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:00 AM

For automotive purposes, If $ was no problem, I'd choose Hella over KC anyday. For MC purposes, there are a myriad of choices for your $.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:48 AM

Garage
Honda and Cobra light bars had 25 watt Halogens and a relay.
Some power management..
Do not wire anything but a relay to the headlights or high beam.
The Starter Switch is involved, less headlight current, the longer the Starter switch will live.
It still needs a cleaning once in awhile from dust and crud.
There are some Daymaker Aux lights that some have gone to.

Google "vtxoa: aux lights" Google vtxoa: driving lights
Many responses.
Last two years leds, before that halogens.

I have 8 - 3 watt leds with shallow 10 degree lens.. They see me in the daytime.. I dim them at night.
Two 15 watt T6 led spots with a deep reflector, my long range lighting. Also can be dimmed.
DrDolittle likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 08-26-2019 at 10:58 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Honda and Cobra light bars had 25 watt Halogens and a relay.
Some power management..
Do not wire anything but a relay to the headlights or high beam.
The Starter Switch is involved, less headlight current, the longer the Starter switch will live.
It still needs a cleaning once in awhile from dust and crud.
There are some Daymaker Aux lights that some have gone to.

Google "vtxoa: aux lights" Google vtxoa: driving lights
Many responses.
Last two years leds, before that halogens.

I have 8 - 3 watt leds with shallow 10 degree lens.. They see me in the daytime.. I dim them at night.
Two 15 watt T6 led spots with a deep reflector, my long range lighting. Also can be dimmed.
Yea I was concerned with power but not so much starting as running. But with the main headlamp going from halogen down to LED I have to imagine the load on the electrical system in general has decreased a fair bit. As for wiring in to the high beams affecting starting, wouldn't it only affect starting if I actually had the high beams on while starting? I can and generally do shut my highs down when I don't need them. Wouldn't be too big of a deal to make sure they were off before starting. As it goes right now I never really use my high beams because of how generally useless they are. My lows are crazy bright.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion on hella. I actually found one that may work if I use the KC clamp mounts. They're small as hell too so they wouldn't be as obnoxious looking. Only about 900 lumens per light but very low wattage and with 2 of them I think I may get all I need out of em. For under $100 total investment? Not a bad gig.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:43 PM

Garage
How is your headlight aim?

If the low beam is level than the high beam could be above the road which would be dark.
The old headlight aim pattern was 3" down at 25 feet. Due to lack of space 1" down at 8 ft or 2" down at 17 feet will work.

I dislike modifying the OEM wiring.
The lamp load is much less with leds.
The "optional fog light" 3 pin connector in the headlight bucket can be used. It has a trigger wire from the high beam.
Honda method (Halogen bulbs) - The relay is operated when high beam is ON, but the contacts Honda/Cobra used are OPEN.
Aux lights only on Low beam. I would do a manual switch to have full control.
Using led aux lights than use the Blue wire in the connector for high beam only if you want.
DrDolittle likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:54 PM
Old Goat

Headlight supplements

I give mine a centrum silver once a week...seems to help .... ...sorry couldn’t resist..
RBS and DrDolittle like this.

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger1776 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on hella. I actually found one that may work if I use the KC clamp mounts. They're small as hell too so they wouldn't be as obnoxious looking. Only about 900 lumens per light but very low wattage and with 2 of them I think I may get all I need out of em. For under $100 total investment? Not a bad gig.

There was a thread a while back from someone from Australia that installed a light bar like they use on trucks for night driving. It was extremely bright and didn't look half bad. If I remember right, they linked to something on ebay but you could easily wire something like that in with a relay like mentioned.

If you don't mind, post what you've found. I'd love to see it!

2005 - VTX 1800F - Silver
2008 - Shadow Aero 750
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:12 PM

Garage
Slim light bar, about 6" wide, many with 6 - 3 watt leds. Floods, spots and combo. Amazon
You want "Spots".
The deeper the reflector the smaller the beam, that way you can put most of it forward.
18 watts and probably running at 50% - 70% power due to small heatsink, about 1 amp current.
Example:
Specifications
1.LED power: 6"18W
2.Operating Voltage: DC 10V~30V
3.Color temperature: HID White (6000K)
4.Angle beam: Spot (30 degree)

7" Slim Off-Road LED Light Bars - 12W - 1,650 Lumens - Spot Light
Part Number: ORBM7-18WS-SP

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 08-26-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page