Boom! New problem. Flanger Bearing. - Page 2 - VTXOA
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
I am just hearing about this issue with 2004 1300c's.

Is there a thread that discusses the problem more in depth as I am not getting exactly what is going on.

Does this problem occur on all 2004 c's or is it hit or miss?

I am not a master mechanic and am learning, but this seems serious.
I'm no master mechanic either, but I've been learning. I've had the carb apart, replaced the fuel petcock valve diaphram, replaced the steering bearings, PAIR Mod etc. I'm thinking you have a better chance of having the problem, like me, since we have early models. The bearing seat has a slight taper to it. This puts undue pressure, wear and eventual failure of the bearings. I have 20,000 on mine. I changed out tires when I bought the bike at 5000 miles. I didn't detect any issue then. I had a taste of bearing replacement when I did the steering post bearings. It wasn't that bad to do. The fix here is to get the reworked flanger hub. I believe the reworked hub from Jon have the bearings installed. That's a pretty straight forward task, removing and replacing the hub. Thankfully it's available. I'm waiting to hear back from Jon.

If you have a VTX you should be checking that bearing regularly with each tire change. From what I understand, it will happen within the time frame mine failed. Most 2004 C's are well past 20K miles. How many miles on your bike? Is it hit or miss? Man, I don't know. It would be fun to know the oldest known model year bike that have the bad flange hub. How Honda got by with this one, I'll never know.

My 2004 1300C

Last edited by Cuthbert J Twillie; 09-04-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthbert J Twillie View Post
I'm no master mechanic either, but I've been learning. I've had the carb apart, replaced the fuel petcock valve diaphram, replaced the steering bearings, PAIR Mod etc. I'm thinking you have a better chance of having the problem, like me, since we have early models. The bearing seat has a slight taper to it. This puts undue pressure, wear and eventual failure of the bearings. I have 20,000 on mine. I changed out tires when I bought the bike at 5000 miles. I didn't detect any issue then. I had a taste of bearing replacement when I did the steering post bearings. It wasn't that bad to do. The fix here is to get the reworked flanger hub. Thankfully it's available. I'm waiting to hear back from Jon. If you have a 2004 you should be checking that bearing. Is it hit or miss? Man, I don't know. It would be fun to know the oldest known model year bike that had the failure.
I am getting new tires Thursday and heading to GA on Friday. This will be the second set of tires I have put on it, the original set was dry rotted when I got it.

I have just shy of 9000 miles on it, so it may or may not be showing the bearing problem now.

I really have not had to do much to mine since I got it in 2007. I have changed the oil and battery and added a little coolant to the reserve reservoir.

I did not need to do anything to the carb as Sea Foam took care of any deposits that may have been there.
Cuthbert J Twillie likes this.

2004 VTX1300C
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:40 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
I am just hearing about this issue with 2004 1300c's.

Is there a thread that discusses the problem more in depth as I am not getting exactly what is going on.

Does this problem occur on all 2004 c's or is it hit or miss?

I am not a master mechanic and am learning, but this seems serious.
It's every VTX, every year, every model 1300 and 1800 and it is just luck of the draw if yours develops this or not. Read this thread on the How To board for more;

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/73-how-...-bearings.html

AMA Life Member 721314

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:12 PM
Old Goat

Ive mentioned this before....Not everyone can/does this...but back in the day I bought several flange drives from trike conversions ...every time I do maintenance/change rear tire...I rotate out a unit.......just an idea....good luck
Cuthbert J Twillie likes this.

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 09-03-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:00 PM

Yeah, you used to be able to get them on eBay pretty cheap. Never knew anyone personally who had that issue, things tend to get overblown on forums.
TennX and Cuthbert J Twillie like this.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:00 PM

Garage
The early 1800's had the problem for the most part. Several 1300's, not many.
Check flange bearings when rear tire replaced.

I just replaced my flange bearings at 189, 518 miles.
One was notchy, the other felt ok but did not spin as nice as the new ones.

Stay calm.

I an not sure of the sequence of events of the OP, but something fell.
Flange has a snap ring that holds it on the wheel.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-03-2019 at 03:05 PM.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
....... Best to let those that have the correct tools do the job or you may be buying a new wheel
For sure. I looked at the bearings/spacer closely today. They are tight with little to no room for a drift to catch the bearing. I could not move the spacer enough to make a difference. The wheel is at the stealership. Turns out they're not bad on pricing when you bring the wheel in off the bike. I don't mind tackling something new, but I'll pass on this one. Waiting to hear back from Jon. Some more down time I'm afraid.

My 2004 1300C

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthbert J Twillie View Post
If you have a 2004 you should be checking that bearing regularly with each tire change. From what I understand, it will happen within the time frame mine failed. Most 2004 C's are well past 20K miles. How many miles on your bike? Is it hit or miss? Man, I don't know. It would be fun to know the oldest known model year bike that have the bad flange hub. How Honda got by with this one, I'll never know.
I'd say if you have any VTX, you ought to be checking bearings (wheel and flange) every time the rear wheel is off. No big deal. We are all lubing the axle and rear pumpkin at least every other year, right? As far as the issue of bearings failing... well, the replacement pair costs what... maybe $10 each? As for "how this got by Honda" - don't know what that is supposed to mean. It's not like you are stranded on the side of road if a flange bearing goes bad. Plenty of riders who never detect the progressive wear of a bad bearing have described having nothing but rust and grit left inside their bearings, and they were still riding; just removed wheel to replace tire. No one is going to purposely ride with the flange bearing failed, but it's not like your wheel is going to seize up and throw you in the ditch when a flange bearing wears out. Just my 2 cents.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud-57 View Post
I'd say if you have any VTX, you ought to be checking bearings (wheel and flange) every time the rear wheel is off.
Agreed!! Poor wording on my behalf.

My 2004 1300C

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Heres' a pic of the flange bearing. Balls exposed. Pieces of race in the grease I cleaned out. It's so strange I never noticed any grinding when pushing the bike in and out of the garage. The bearings are very hard to move. Grinding to the max.

My 2004 1300C

Last edited by Cuthbert J Twillie; 09-04-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page