Boom! New problem. Flanger Bearing. - Page 4 - VTXOA
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee_Oddball View Post
Now I'm paranoid, I have a 2003 1300 with 17,000 miles on it. spindle bearing went bad on my Dakota but that was obvious. should i look for metal shaving on the ground or hear grinding when I roll the bike? or do I need to remove the rear tire?
I was a bit paranoid too, wondering and waiting. But no need to be if you do your due diligence. If I were to start all over again, I would of just pulled it even while it was working and send it to Jon. Get the reworked piece and your good to go. It's very little money if I look at what else I spend money on, it's nothing. Then, you can have piece of mind and absolutely NO paranoia! Jon has a great reputation and fast to get your flange out the door. My thought is, you never know when Jon may stop doing this. If you wait for your bearing to pop and you find out he's not doing it anymore......then it's happy hunting for a machinist to do it. I would just do it now. Peace of mind. In my way of thinking, it's well worth it. I wish I had done it long ago. Get er done!

My 2004 1300C

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Now I'm paranoid, I have a 2003 1300 with 17,000 miles on it. spindle bearing went bad on my Dakota but that was obvious. should i look for metal shaving on the ground or hear grinding when I roll the bike? or do I need to remove the rear tire?
Don’t be. Very few have issues, if you want to be prepared simply get a spare off eBay, can usually be had cheap.
A kind of forum mass hysteria sometimes happens with these things, don’t take it too seriously
StarrRider likes this.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Spent the entire afternoon farting around with the X. The "new" flange is installed. New rings on the flange and below. I think I'll replace the dampers next time the wheel comes off. The new tires are mounted with Ride-on in them. Polished the wheels while they were off. Took it out for a test spin and everything appears to be OK.

Thanks gents for your help!

Now, it's time to ride after being down so long. Rain for the next 2 days.

My 2004 1300C

Last edited by Cuthbert J Twillie; 09-10-2019 at 10:53 PM.

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

Thank you for all the responses, I have what the doctor refers to as tall guy back, I'm 6' 4, so leaning over the bike working on for long periods is not doable for me so I'm going to buy a lift.
These are the 2 I'm looking at any experience or suggestions?

https://www.garageappeal.com/dannmar...leadapter.aspx

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...8892-8495.html
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all the responses, I have what the doctor refers to as tall guy back, I'm 6' 4, so leaning over the bike working on for long periods is not doable for me so I'm going to buy a lift.
These are the 2 I'm looking at any experience or suggestions?

https://www.garageappeal.com/dannmar...leadapter.aspx

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...8892-8495.html
The Danmar looks great, do you already have the $2,000 lift system that it attaches to?!

I would lean more towards the HF lift table. No experience with either one, just the HF motocycle/ATV lift
https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ugg_q=atv+lift
I used this on my ATV for years before I got back into motorcycling, although mine is the older "yellow" one

2007 1300 C Metallic Cabernet----34, 513 miles when purchased 09/2015
Now----92,365 miles
2007 1300 C Black----4,506 miles when purchased 12-31-2016
now----27,068 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in