Boom! New problem. Flanger Bearing. - VTXOA
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Boom! New problem. Flanger Bearing.

I just solved one issue and discovered another. It's new tire time and when I pulled the rear wheel and checked the bearings, I found "the" issue. First, I noticed that the Locktite Moly Paste had turned black. When I turned the flanger bearing it was very noisy. When I pulled the flange set off there were pieces/shards of metal mixed in the moly on the underside of the flanger set. I'm thinking that this must have just exploded. Last tire change things were fine. I'm at 20,000 miles. I looked at the axel and there's no deep issues/marks there. I'm thinking it blew up not long ago.

The bearings on the brake disc side seemed fine....until....I was on the floor trying to balance the wheel, it lost balance and fell on the garage floor on the flanger set. Now, the bearings are seized, the disc side bearings seem to turn harder. Is it possible when the flanger hit the floor it threw all the bearings out of wack?

What is the current way to resolve this? I suspect all the bearings will need replacing disc side and of course flanger. I'm familiar with the tapered bearing seat issue. The reason for the failure. I know there was a guy that had cores and re-machined the flanger. Is it the flanger only that has the taper? Not the seat on the brake disc side also.

I went out for a great ride this afternoon and thought I'd pull the wheels for a tire change. I've wondered if I was going to see the issue. Sure enough. It's a 2004 and I suspected I would. Not a very nice summer with my 1300 C. If anyone can point me in a direction I'd be very appreciative. Is it as simple as ordering a new flanger set? But then I have the disc side bearing to deal with too.

My learing curve on wrenching on the 1300 C continues to climb. Thanks everyone!

My 2004 1300C

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:07 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

First, the flange bearings are 2 bearings stacked back to back on the splined end of the flange hub which is a separate piece from the wheel. The wheel, has 2 wheel bearings one on each side, these are different from the flange and flange bearings.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:10 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Part #6 is the flange hub. Part 24 are the bearings that are installed back to back

Parts 18 and 19 are the wheel bearings that take the load of the bike

AMA Life Member 721314

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:12 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Send your flange hub to Jon and get a replacement from him. Take your wheel to a bearing shop and have them press in 2 new wheel bearings while yo wait for the new flange hub

AMA Life Member 721314
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:16 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Here's Jon's profile, send him a PM https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...s1800vtxc.html

AMA Life Member 721314
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Out of curiosity, is the current OEM flange hub from the parts supplier still out of spec or did Honda fix the issue? I can't imagine it's still out of spec, but given the fact it happened in the first place and they didn't recall, who knows. The diagram of course is the exploded view, but does it come assembled or in parts?
Also,
I was just out and looked at the wheel. The spacer is tight in place, no movement from side to side and the bearings of course are seated on the spacer. If I were to attempt to replace the two bearings (not the flange hub) how would you go about that? From the vids I've watched the spacer will move from side to side to allow a drift to bite the inner race the bearing allowing the drift to unseat the bearing. Not happening here.

My 2004 1300C

Last edited by Cuthbert J Twillie; 09-03-2019 at 02:26 AM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Honda never fixed or acknowledged the problem

The bearing shop will have the ability to pull and press in bearings. Best to let those that have the correct tools do the job or you may be buying a new wheel

AMA Life Member 721314
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:01 AM

If your in doubt replace the wheel brgs. The grease may be dried out also. But I bet the spacer may be jamming them , slip the Axel through and tap on it, may realign things . I replace flange brgs with each rear tire replacement .my housing was machined properly, 2007r ,you can check yours . I get generic brgs , pop out the seals, wash out and pack with good wheel BRG grease .install with two sides of BRG open together and seals on outside . easy peasy japanesey . ... You got it right using a big drift to tap out old wheel bearings . to install new ones you can lay an old bearing on the new one and tap on the old one to get new one in . eo
Cuthbert J Twillie likes this.

Last edited by Engineoops; 09-03-2019 at 10:05 AM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Here's Jon's profile, send him a PM https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...s1800vtxc.html
Thanks! I've done it!

My 2004 1300C

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:37 AM

Garage
I am just hearing about this issue with 2004 1300c's.

Is there a thread that discusses the problem more in depth as I am not getting exactly what is going on.

Does this problem occur on all 2004 c's or is it hit or miss?

I am not a master mechanic and am learning, but this seems serious.

2004 VTX1300C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page