2003 VTX Cut out - Can't Fathom a Reason - VTXOA
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

2003 VTX Cut out - Can't Fathom a Reason

Hi All,

A couple weeks ago, I was riding to work and the bike shut off. Was dripping gas out of the carb. Would run, but only 1/4 throttle or above.

I tore it apart, and replaced the needle/seat with an All Balls racing one. New gasket, etc. I decided, given mine is a 2003, this would be a good opportunity to ditch the fuel pump. So I bought a new 3/" fuel line, took one of the thin heat shields off the other lines and ran it from the petcock, across the top of the motor to the carb inlet. Used about 18" of fuel line. I'm a little worried about the fuel flow when I get down to reserve level, but we'll see.

Well I took it for a ride, it was fine for about 10 minutes, then it started cutting out and actually died. I was doing about 70mph, when I pulled the clutch in, it died, I let it out, and obviusly it would bump start again. I pulled over, and all I could find was the vent hose from the right side of the tank was unplugged. I plugged it back in and decided I'd try and limp it home (about 10 miles). It ran fine. So I then went for broke, got back on the highway for 10/15 miles and kept the rpms up (trying to burn fuel in case the bowl was going dry). Never hiccuped.

There is about a mile long steep grade and I went Wide Open in 5th from before the hill through the top, she runs out of steam at about 105/110, but she didn't buck, sputter, or cut out in the least. It was a solid mile WOT, and if there was a restriction

Could the unplugged vent from the back right of the tank caused some sort of positive pressure or something in the tank causing fuel to not flow with gravity? I can't explain why it did what it did, looking for some insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:15 AM

Garage
Vent plugged or unplugged should not cause any issue unless a bug went into it.
Verify the vent is functional.

18" hose over the engine.?!??

It is 10" from the fuel petcock to the back of the air box.
From petcock due east aka right then dropping to carb inlet.

It would seem that you took the long route.
Try the more direct route.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,834 VTX miles
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Vent plugged or unplugged should not cause any issue unless a bug went into it.
Verify the vent is functional.

18" hose over the engine.?!??

It is 10" from the fuel petcock to the back of the air box.
From petcock due east aka right then dropping to carb inlet.

It would seem that you took the long route.
Try the more direct route.

Thanks for the help. I'll remeasure just to be sure. Is this how the fuel line was routed from the factory on 2004+ bikes?

How can I verify the vent is functional?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:39 AM

Garage
More than likely it is functional or you would not have ridden that long after..

Put a piece of hose on the vent tube and then:: blown into it or suck fumes from it.

Look at the 2004 parts fiche for the fuel hose. The fuel port faces to the back so a 90 degree turn there.
Since 2003 fuel port faces engine it should go across and downward to the carb.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,834 VTX miles
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
More than likely it is functional or you would not have ridden that long after..

Put a piece of hose on the vent tube and then:: blown into it or suck fumes from it.

Look at the 2004 parts fiche for the fuel hose. The fuel port faces to the back so a 90 degree turn there.
Since 2003 fuel port faces engine it should go across and downward to the carb.

That's how mine is routed, but I'm definitely running out of fuel. I can almost repeatably get the bike to bog out and die, if I'm in 5th gear and go WOT for more than 10 seconds, it's like the bike is pulling more fuel than gravity can fill the bowl.

This is a theory, because it only repeatably does it in 5th gear with a long throttle open. I can run 15 miles on the highway in 3rd gear doing 75/80mph and it doesn't phase it.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:12 PM

Garage
I did a fuel flow check once many years ago on the vacuum petcock. The gasoline stream was as large as the ID of the fuel port.
IF you have a good fuel flow than vent should be good. Fuel cap latched in place. Test it!

I had limited top end when my slide valve diaphragm had too many holes in it.

Has the fuel tank been sealed/coated??

Did you disconnect the FP relay???

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I did a fuel flow check once many years ago on the vacuum petcock. The gasoline stream was as large as the ID of the fuel port.
IF you have a good fuel flow than vent should be good. Fuel cap latched in place. Test it!

I had limited top end when my slide valve diaphragm had too many holes in it.

Has the fuel tank been sealed/coated??

Did you disconnect the FP relay???

I don't have a vacuum petcock. The 2003 came factory with a fuel pump and a standard petcock. So I routed a new line from the standard petcock, straight to the carb.

There is a vent on the back side of the tank where it tapers down, on the right side. How would you like me to test it?

I don't think the tank has been sealed or coated. It was a brand new tank from Honda 3-4 years ago. I didn't have this problem when the fuel pump was connected. I saw many people talk about getting stranded with them when they died, and for the $300-$400 replacement and the pain in the as* they are to change out, I figured while I had everything apart it's good preventative measure.

I traced the two wires coming from the fuel pump, and I disconnected one of them. I figured that would prevent it from running.

I've had the diagpram off a couple of times in the past few months, there wasn't a single hole/tear/slit it in.

I don't have a limited top end. If I hold the throttle open in 5th for a 1/2 mile or so, (even if I start at 60mph and let it slowly wind up, the bike get to a point where it just spits and sputters. Its the same thing if you turn the petcock off and run the gas out. There's some restriction or "vacuum/pressure/blockage" from the change of the new fuel line causing it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Garage
I know about the FP and manual petcock.
I have been telling every 2003 1300 owner about this for years.
Just saying what my fuel flow looks like.
Did you ever remove the petcock?

Remove the fuel filter.
It has been proven that some fuel filters do not work on gravity flow.
Thinking about this last night and remembered someone tried a fuel filter. It did not work on gravity flow.
A filter made for gravity flow is suggested, not one used on a FP.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/7-vtx-1...ml#post3773706

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-17-2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: >>added a link
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know about the FP and manual petcock.
I have been telling every 2003 1300 owner about this for years.
Just saying what my fuel flow looks like.
Did you ever remove the petcock?

Remove the fuel filter.
It has been proven that some fuel filters do not work on gravity flow.
Thinking about this last night and remembered someone tried a fuel filter. It did not work on gravity flow.
A filter made for gravity flow is suggested, not one used on a FP.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/7-vtx-1...ml#post3773706
I don't have the fuel filter connected. I had bought a 3/8"line from the store, and ran 12/13" from the 2003 petcock to the carb. Last night, I took it all apart and checked for a kink in the hose. While I didn't find one, it's a softer type of rubber hose than the factory style hose. I could pinch it with my fingers. So I took one of the hard rubber factory lines, cut it to length and ran it direct from the petcock to the tank.

It seemed better, but bike does buck a little WOT in 5th, but there's definitely an improvement. Obviously it's kind of hard to test WOT in 5th gear on public roads safely, but I coudn't get it to do it on reserve, and it only happened last night on On.

So maybe there's a problem with the fuel filter in the petcock, or maybe it's a pressure thing. I'm not sure.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:38 AM

Replace the gas tank petcock. There is a screen inside and when I removed mine it was corroded and falling apart. With the new petcock the motor has more pep. That was my fix.

G

2003 VTX1300S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page