Buzzing from front brake master cylinder - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Buzzing from front brake master cylinder

Several years back, I replaced the front master cylinder due to the mirror breaking off the cast Aluminium unit. Afterwards, I occasionally detected an odd buzzing noise when squeezing the lever when stopping. Never a big deal and frankly, kinda forgot about it, figuring it was merely the brake pad noise and normal. Maybe I just never realized it prior? Plus, System worked fine

Flash forward to last month after I replaced the front pads, replaced the fluid and bled the system. Ever since then, what appears to be that same sound is now a constant. Sounds like wasps in a tin can trying to escape. When I squeeze the lever though, the noise changes. Finally determined that it was coming from somewhere on or near the lever. I can pulsate it by squeezing lever gently but rapidly. Sound is altered but never goes away. Same noise when going 10-mph as with 80-mph. Brakes work fine however. Put several hundred miles with no change.

I started troubleshooting and systematically looked at whatís changed. Was able to determine that it was definitely from the braking system and not anything else such as dash panel, fairing, speakers, etc.

Thought maybe the brake light switch could be at issue. Disconnected wires but still there. Removed switch, still there. Removed brake lever from bike, still there. Carefully without a front brake lever installed, took a neighborhood ride and actually could depress the master cylinder pushrod with my finger. That is definitely where sound originates from. Came home and figured Iíd bleed the line once again for kicks and grins. Reassembled all and test drive. No change.

Looked all over the site here but couldnít find any issues concerning a buzzing sound from the brake lever. Iím thinking the master cylinder. But if so, why the noise? Air at banjo housing maybe? Iím out of ideas so turning to you for suggestions. Got a major trip planned next month so want to get this figured out. Appreciate your thoughts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2007 Titanium / VTX-1300R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:26 AM

Garage
Brake disk warped pushing fluid back to master as the wheel turns??
Lift the X off the ground, spin front wheel??
Top of brake hose, is the metal part tapping on the handlebar?

Remove mirror... Any difference..

There is a bar weight in the end of the handlebar.
Inspect it... Maybe it is loose..
Parts 4,5,6 in parts fiche.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...bar-top-bridge

Anything loose in in the Reservoir?? Check.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,834 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-13-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: More thoughts..
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Hadnít thought about a warped disc, Hans. That could explain the vibration cause. I donít have any way to check for runout. No jack or lift. Placing a straight edge on the mounted disc probably wouldnít reveal anything as minute as that likely would be.

Other lines are all tight.

Thought about reinstalling my old pads to see. Any other thoughts?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

So, over the weekend I continued troubleshooting the buzzing noise as previously described. Definitely comes from the brake master cylinder, while moving (I.e.: No sound at idle). I even shut off the engine while coasting down the street to totally isolate the sound.

As far as what is causing the buzzing, still uncertain. But...I decided to remove the recently installed new (EBC brand) brake pads, and re-install the OEM originals just to experiment. The former still had decent life left but theyíve seen 20,000 miles already. What I determined is the sound was definitely less apparent, but still there. I put the aftermarket pads back in and the noise was back again at full strength.

The design of the Honda OEM pads vs. the aftermarket EBC brand may be a factor. I know some donít care for anything other than the OEM pads. I actually didnít know what my dealer was selling me until I picked them up. The OEMs have wear strips built in whereas the others donít. This technically provides 4 smaller contact surfaces per pad instead of two on the EBC version. ( see pics) Could this affect the chattering.

Or, is the brake disc ever so slightly warped that a chatter is being generated all the way up to the master cylinder? If so, what inside - is chattering? I held a straightedge over the disc but couldnít detect anything off. Not scientific of course but best I could do. Note: My master cylinder was replaced several years ago when the mirror mount broke off the aluminum casting.

I plan on ordering a set of OEM pads and putting them on. Iíll just toss the EBCs.

Would anyone do something else? Any other ideas? Other than this noise thatís really getting the best of me, they function fine.

Iíve had warped rotors on a car before and a slight steering wheel vibration was a mere nuisance. Would you consider this a safety issue based on this, or an annoyance?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/07md...zKQlRrGzRZ6NpQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page