3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hans&Feet
  • 1 Post By mtbike
  • 1 Post By Engineoops

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Mild Clunk Up Front

Going to the well one more time (for now), this is a fantastic group.

Sorting continues, mostly minor stuff. Just rebuilt the carb (diaphragm had seen better days) with a mild Stage 1 jet kit (keeping stock pipes and airbox for now), and PAIR block off. The bike ran okay before, running fantastic now.

As I was riding in this morning, noticed a slight clunk up front over bumps. Make that very slight. I know the steering head bearings and rear shock bushings are an issue with these bikes, but I am not experiencing any sort of vibration. Big cruisers are fairly new to me, I noted a similar thing from my former Drifter 1500. Just a big bike thing? I should note it only has some 5500 miles on it.

As we're getting closer to the end of riding here in Michigan, if it's a big teardown, I'll save it for a winter project.

Thoughts/insights welcome, and thanks again (and in advance).

Robert
The correct amount of motorcycles to own is always N+1, N being the current number you own.
2005 Honda VTX1300S, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple,
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1992 Ducati 900SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:30 AM

Garage
Fuel tank on correctly???
When on kickstand I have trouble lining up the tank for proper tilt angle.
Rear tank bolt installed?
Speedo cluster - did you remove it from the tank???
The front horizontal holder has a rubber piece, easily knocked off.

One day I went over my X and put some RTV on side cover grommets, cyl head grommets, speedo insulator
to keep those things from falling off.
Grommet OD to the Frame..
A bit of silicone on the pin of the covers and all is well.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1300 Tank speedo cluster.png (59.0 KB, 6 views)
rwantin likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-17-2019 at 09:36 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! I've actually had the tank on and off a few times now, all proper, and fixed a minor vibration/resonance issue from the speedo/housing.

I should have been clearer - the clunk (and again, very slight), is barely audible but can be felt through the bars, and only going over bumps (which, in the Detroit area, is often).

Robert
The correct amount of motorcycles to own is always N+1, N being the current number you own.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:26 AM

With the bike off, in neutral, hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth to compress the front fork. Can you feel the clunk? is it from fork, head bearing or brake?

MikeB.

'05 VTX1300C Red 4Way Flasher, Ultimate midrider, BossBags 36, Stock 'R' floorboards, Cobra passenger floorboards, Stock 'R' handleBars, Audiocomm.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbike View Post
With the bike off, in neutral, hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth to compress the front fork. Can you feel the clunk? is it from fork, head bearing or brake?

MikeB.

Good idea. I'll give this a try shortly and report back.

Robert
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay, so went out to the parking garage. The clunk seems to be at the bottom of the fork travel (almost collapsed). Doesn't feel like the steering head, feels lower than that. Very slight movement to the caliper when I grab it and try to move it, which I think is probably normal for the slides.

Robert
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:56 PM

I can confirm the caliper. There is a little movement. Others will have a better response, but I'm thinking not enough oil in the fork???
rwantin likes this.

'05 VTX1300C Red 4Way Flasher, Ultimate midrider, BossBags 36, Stock 'R' floorboards, Cobra passenger floorboards, Stock 'R' handleBars, Audiocomm.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbike View Post
I can confirm the caliper. There is a little movement. Others will have a better response, but I'm thinking not enough oil in the fork???

Thank you, much appreciated.

Hadn't considered the fork oil level. I bought it from a friend/shop owner that changed everything before delivering it, including the fork oil. Wondering if I can check the level with the forks attached?

Robert
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:52 AM

When I got my 07r 1300 with 3k miles on it I could bottom out the forks , and there was full level of fluid in forks . stiffer race tech springs and emulators and 15w synthetic fork oil fixed the spongy stock fork spring problem . Loose steering brearings are common problem on vtx bikes too that cause wobble and handling problems .I think you can check the fork fluid level if the bike is on a frame lift , by taking off the fork caps .eo
rwantin likes this.

Last edited by Engineoops; 09-18-2019 at 09:54 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineoops View Post
When I got my 07r 1300 with 3k miles on it I could bottom out the forks , and there was full level of fluid in forks . stiffer race tech springs and emulators and 15w synthetic fork oil fixed the spongy stock fork spring problem . Loose steering brearings are common problem on vtx bikes too that cause wobble and handling problems .I think you can check the fork fluid level if the bike is on a frame lift , by taking off the fork caps .eo

Thank you, good to know. I thought it a bit odd that I could almost bottom out the forks static right there in the parking garage. Probably could bottom them if I tried a little harder. I think he used 15W at my direction (common practice for me to go +5W on oil to firm things up a bit), but I should confirm that.

I've installed cartridges (Ricor Intiminators on my Bonneville) and have done plenty of springs before on other bikes. Even before this I was contemplating progressive springs, perhaps a milder route given the nature of the bike.

Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page