Bike been sitting - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Bike been sitting

Hello,

I just picked up a 2007 1300 that has been sitting. Iíve read through a lot of threads but would love some advice on steps moving toward getting it up and running.

From what I understand it was last started and ran about a year ago but had been siting before that for an additional year give or take. Last summer he changed out the gas and battery and had it running but said it sputtered and died with much throttle.

Where do I begin? I have read a lot to not try to start it so I havenít of course.

I know the battery and tires are a given. Obviously fresh gas. I took the tank and air box off and the carb looks like it needs a good cleaning. Best to take it off completely or follow the YT videos Two Wheel Rocco has on cleaning it on the bike? If I take it off completely Iím confused on if I have to drain coolant first or not-if not do I still expect some spillage?

Iíll try not too continue being too long winded. Really appreciate any advice and direction, Iím sure Iíll have plenty of follow up questions and reading to do.

May be worth mentioning I had an X until about 5 years ago but never did much mechanical beyond oil and brakes etc. Iím thrilled to have one again!

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (414.2 KB, 11 views)
Curt E likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:31 PM

Garage
Remove the tank.
Remove the petcock.
Clean and rinse as needed.
Check or replace vacuum hoses.
Vaccuum Hose cracks/split on the inside.

Remove carb bowl drain screw.
Shoot carb cleaner into carb gas hose a few times.
Verify something is flowing out.
Install drain screw, shoot more cleaner into carb hose. Put gas in tank, connect vacuum hoses.
Reconnect tank vent at right rear of tank.
Pull choke knob out fully, see what happens.

Give it a crank.. Worse case you try carb cleaner again or tear down the carb. Look up MR VTX CARB 101. Google search "vtxoa: carb101" The Carb101 link> https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/7-vtx-1...ing-101-a.html
Good luck! Welcome to the VTXOA!

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,834 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-19-2019 at 08:25 AM. Reason: added link
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:51 PM

Garage
Seafoam works wonders, it did on mine that had sat for years before I got it.

2004 VTX1300C

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:20 AM

Cool

Welcome from Daytona Beach, enjoy and ride safely.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:24 AM

Welcome. Good luck with that X. Sounds like a carb cleaning is required.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:15 AM

Garage
Failing the other wise suggestions presented above, don't be intimidated by removing the carb and giving it a good go-through, something I just performed last weekend and was a downright pleasure compared to, say, my ZRX. This will afford you the opportunity to inspect things as well, for example, the diaphragm in mine had clearly seen better days.

Good luck, and welcome!

Robert
The correct amount of motorcycles to own is always N+1, N being the current number you own.
2005 Honda VTX1300S, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple,
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1992 Ducati 900SS
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Really appreciate the help and ideas. I went ahead and grabbed some carb cleaner and decided to at least clean the jets thoroughly with a wire brush as I don’t have to take the carb off to do so. Imagine my surprise when I couldn’t get my flathead to catch on the pilot jet...got under there to look and the top is broken so the flathead has nothing to grab (see pic). Obviously I know I’m now replacing that, assuming I can get it out? I’m open to suggestions on that. Mrvtx carb clean 101 is going to be a huge help, appreciate that link hans&feet!

rwantin did you drain your coolant before you removed the carb? If not should I expect a mess when I disconnect the lines from the back of the carb?

Once again really appreciate the advice and well wishes, y’all will have me on the road in no time!

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3D87E151-AE9C-4A12-9541-B738CEBF853F_1568911881624.jpg (296.9 KB, 11 views)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:37 PM

Garage
A/F screw with a "D" head.
Every 2 cycle engine has been using that for years.
A tool can be purchased. Or get a longer A/F screw.

Main jet sticks out the longest.
Low speed jet within the column.
Easy to spray carb cleaner into the jets with the straw that is taped to all the aerosol cans.

An artist paint brush could be tempy plug.
Or quickly wrap some tape around it..

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,834 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-19-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker8 View Post
rwantin did you drain your coolant before you removed the carb? If not should I expect a mess when I disconnect the lines from the back of the carb?

No, nothing came out at all - I just disconnected them. In fact, I didn't even know they were coolant lines until I read another post here somewhere.

Robert
The correct amount of motorcycles to own is always N+1, N being the current number you own.
2005 Honda VTX1300S, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple,
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1992 Ducati 900SS
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:21 AM

I followed Rocco's carb cleaning video and got mine running great. Drain gas, remove tank, remove breather, drop float bowl, pull needles, run wire through all of the holes and shoot with carb cleaner, wipe off with clean rag, shoot carb cleaner into where the jets go and put the jets back in, reassemble everything, pour in fresh gas with a good cleaner ( i used chevron) and start. If it doesn't want to idle without choke on don't panic like i did. There is an idle adjuster that needed adjusted on mine,right side black knob.(Mine runs great now after it sat with bad gas for 3yrs)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page