VTX 1300s Cant seem to get running right - VTXOA
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hans&Feet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

VTX 1300s Cant seem to get running right

I Have owned the bike for a little over a year now (2004 Honda VTX 1300s) and about two weeks ago now I was riding home and it started running rough and wanted to stall out and would idle rough. Well after much reading and research I determined I should look at the vacuum system. So I went through the process of doing so and found that the lines had dry rot and so did some of the main hoses on the pair valve system so at this point I decided it was time to remove the pair valve system entirely and replace the essential vacuum lines and I did. While I had the bike apart I decided to change spark plugs as well. After all this I put it all back together and took it for a test drive ran fine until the next day when it started to act up again stalling out. So I got it home and took it apart again and cleaned all the lines to make sure no dirt was in them and also cleaned the carburetor. At this point I discovered that the previous owner had already done the scar mod and the spring had been trimmed to 5.5" and the needle had a single shim under it. So after this I Adjusted the air fuel mixture to 2 Turns out and then played with it from their trying to get bike to run right. But I am stuck with a bike that idle well but dies as soon as you try and give it gas. If you give it gas to quick it stalls and and its strays a white mist back out of the carb and then back fires and I have adjusted the af screw up and down to try and resolve this with no luck. Oh forgot to mention that the bike has it stock pipes but with the baffles removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2019, 11:14 PM

Garage
Take a look at the slide diaphragm, where they have pleats, it could have worn thin and have a hole.
Carb/manifold clamps snug??
I read a little on the Air Cutoff Valve, check that diaphragm.

Check fuel flow from petcock, full fuel flow as large as the ID of the port.
Needs vacuum to operate.

The accelerator pump gives a squirt of gas to prevent the lean backfire.
Kind of iffy when the filter and cover are off.
Engine off you should see the squirt.

Ignition Control Module has two most forward wires that have frequent breakage at the connector.
Insulation necks down some at the break point. Black wire and a Green wire - inspect carefully.

Loose battery cables can create problems. Check battery terminal bolts. Be kind to ICM wires.
Tennx drilled holes in the ICM mount/battery cover to be able to tighten the battery bolts.
I did that mod also.

Welcome to the VTXOA!
steveroy60 likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-30-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the helps so far I inspected the diaphragm first by eye and then using a flashlight did not find any holes in the diaphragm. I checked the fuel petcock and its flowing full flow from the bore of the outlet port. I checked the green and black wires and found no cracks or nicks or cuts and seem to be in perfect shape. I checked the fuel squirter and it seems to be working fine as well. So in messing around with the carb I found that by placing something in front of the carburetor air intake and partially blocking the opening the bike would run better. Could that mean the air fuel mixture is off and could the air fuel mixture screw be bad for I know it is not the stock screw for the carb for it is a flat head screw. Again thanks for you help so far.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:29 PM

Garage
That short spring makes the vacuum slide valve open quicker. Not needed on the VTX..

Is the gas good?? Drain the fuel bowl (drain screw) and verify good flow there.
"D" head is the OEM A/F screw. Washer and o-ring in proper order??

Lights and things good???
Check voltage at battery, should have 14.0 - 14.4 volts at a few thousand RPMs.

Check Main fuse--under the Starter Relay cap... Two have had corrosion and caused melted wiring.

Go Step by Step. 1300 section. Info on charging, electrical.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles
Old 10-02-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Before all of this started the bike was running good and I had just filled it up with gas a week or so before. Then the bike started running rough and wanted to die under acceleration. So I started with replacing spark plugs on the bike which made no difference. At this point after looking closer I noticed that the vacuum line to the pet cock was partial tore just a little just enough to get fuel to flow but not well so I took the tank off and discover other cracked vacuum lines and replaced them as I mention before in my first post and ended up doing the pair mod at this point. I checked over the wires and the power out put and all the lights seem to be working fine I have to check the main fuse fuse yet.

In partially blocking the carburetor off after which it will throttle easily up with no issue should I assume I am pulling to much air into the carb and it’s running lean or am I not thinking about that right.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:00 PM
Old Goat

Just a thought...ran good..then u filled up and then it eventually ran rough...maybe bad gas...got any stabilizer...I use sea foam....good luck

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 10-03-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in