Stranded Yesterday - VTXOA
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Stranded Yesterday

Greetings...

I was hoping it would be a while before I bothered everyone again, but had a bit of a development yesterday, and would like a few wiser minds than my own for a take.

I rode to work yesterday, it was pretty cool out here in MI. Even after the warmup, as I was pulling out noted a drop in power and then it picked up again. I chalked it up to cold bloodedness and carried on. It seemed fine. It was the ride home that became much more eventful. As I would leave a light, I noticed some light bucking, but it would clear and keep going. Finally, on a side street, it would just die with some throttle. I could restart it and it would idle, but giving it gas would just kill it. I switched to reserve a few times, even though the tank was nearly full. It's an '05 1300S, so no fuel pump.

Quick background - I rebuilt the carb and did the PAIR blockoff about three weeks ago. The carb rebuild isn't my first or even my 30th, and the bike ran downright excellent thereafter. Still, I'll recheck EVERYTHING today, vacuum lines, etc. The carb rebuild was pretty thorough, including a new diaphragm.

I have the stock vacuum petcock, which at this point, is fifteen years old (the bike, however, only has about 6K on the clock, so it sat a lot, hence the carb rebuild). Based on research here, my thinking is that could be the problem. At the very least, I'm thinking of replacing it anyway (or do the rebuild kit) as a preventative measure.

Is there anything else I should be checking? Going to tear into it today.

One other thing I found strange when I first got the bike - it would only run for about 10 seconds if the petcock was shut off (forgetting to turn it on). I would think there'd be enough in the bowl to run it longer than that. Not sure if it means anything, just pointing out.

And thanks so much (in advance).

Robert
The correct amount of motorcycles to own is always N+1, N being the current number you own.
2005 Honda VTX1300S, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple,
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1992 Ducati 900SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 09:10 AM

Garage
Check battery cables, loose connections cause problems.
Check Fuel flow at petcock, than open the carb bowl drain and check fuel flow from carb.

10 seconds of running with fuel lever Off.
I never checked it. Small fuel bowl, plus float and the low speed jet is not as low as the main jet.
With valve shut Off, Gas in hose may not flow into bowl. I cannot recall having mine in the Off position.

I have a 05 model, original petcock.
RBS and rwantin like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 10-05-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you - MUCH appreciated. Funny, I was just in the garage returning from an errand and thought about the battery cables. I did have it out at one point, thought I tightened them well, but I live on a really bumpy road. And at one point yesterday, it barely cranked when I was trying to restart, and it is a strong, recent battery.

Robert
The correct amount of motorcycles to own is always N+1, N being the current number you own.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:08 AM

Garage
There is a seat pin mod to allow quicker access to the battery.
I used 5/16" x 1" pin. I removed most of the thread.
Google search > "vtxoa: seat pin"
rwantin likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
There is a seat pin mod to allow quicker access to the battery.
I used 5/16" x 1" pin. I removed most of the thread.
Google search > "vtxoa: seat pin"
I did the same thing, one of the best things I did for maintenance! I used the 5/16 as well since I didn't want to drill the threads.

2005 - VTX 1800F - Silver
2008 - Shadow Aero 750
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm playing in the garage. Battery cables tight, fuel flow is good.

It started easy, and idles fine. One new observation, if I am very gentle and gradual with the throttle, it will hold 2-3K rpm. If I crack it, it almost dies and returns to idle. Seems like a vacuum thing, wondering if the diaphragm is out of position. In any event, returning to the garage now for further investigation.

Robert
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow. I'm no master mechanic, but at this juncture in my life, pretty decent with this sort of thing. I'm scratching my graying head.

Spent the afternoon out there double-checking everything. Manifolds are tight, lines are good, plugs look good, airbox is dry, diaphragm (a new Honda part) is seated properly, that tiny little filter in the carb looks good, 14.6V at idle, coil connections checked (recently installed a Baron tach), accelerator pump working properly as is the choke and other stuff I am probably forgetting. Again, the bike ran excellent until Friday. I buttoned everything up, it still starts instantly and idles fine, but any sort of throttle kills the engine.

Only other thing I just thought of this morning is maybe the negative ground cable (I do have that bumpy road thing going on), but doubt that's a thing.

My last resort is to tear the carb down again, maybe something is mucking it up. I'm all eyes and ears for any other suggestions.

Robert
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:29 AM

Have you checked the petcock diaphragm?

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post
Have you checked the petcock diaphragm?
Hey Smurfy,

That was my original thought early on, though the flow seems good. Still, this seems very much like a vacuum-related issue. Would a partially failing petcock diaphragm allow it to run but not throttle up perhaps?

I'm guessing that vacuum circuit is separate? Could I have a look without draining the tank, or, hell, at this juncture, could drain the tank anyway. ANYTHING to get to the bottom of this.

EDIT: I should pull the petcock anyway, that would allow me to inspect the screen at least as well.
smurfy71 likes this.

Robert

Last edited by rwantin; 10-06-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwantin View Post
Hey Smurfy,

That was my original thought early on, though the flow seems good. Still, this seems very much like a vacuum-related issue. Would a partially failing petcock diaphragm allow it to run but not throttle up perhaps?

I'm guessing that vacuum circuit is separate? Could I have a look without draining the tank, or, hell, at this juncture, could drain the tank anyway. ANYTHING to get to the bottom of this.

EDIT: I should pull the petcock anyway, that would allow me to inspect the screen at least as well.

Iím not sure if that could be the cause, but it seems like the only thing you havenít checked.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg
rwantin likes this.

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page