SOLVED! Broken exhaust bolt - VTXOA
 7Likes
  • 5 Post By MrAnudo
  • 1 Post By MC_G
  • 1 Post By TennX

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

SOLVED! Broken exhaust bolt

Well - I'm hoping this helps someone. I scoured what seems like hundreds of "how to's" on broken bolt removal. And it just seemed hopeless. Here's what happened...

I have been chasing decel pop in my new V&H exhaust for quite a while now. I've replaced crush gaskets, I've done the pair valve removal, I've monkey with the A/F. Nothing has worked. So while I am waiting on my air cutoff valve repair diaphragm (as suggested in another post) to arrive - I decided while the bike was HOT... that maybe it'd be a good idea to give my already washered acorn nuts on my exhaust a little tightening up.

So just a little tightening up here and there... and then I get to my back exhaust port screw and am surprised at how easy it spins.... only to realized like a dumbarsicle I snapped it off. I remove the entire exhaust and for the last 3 days I've been PBlastering it, heating, vice gripping, tapping, swearing, praying... then decided it was time to bore it out and use an extractor set. Well the idea of boring scared the bejeezus out of me... so i just kept searching.

Well I searched all over trying to find "the one" to get... and I ran across this ->

ARES 70016 - Damaged Bolt and Stud Extractor Tool - Grips and Removes 1/4-Inch to 1/2-Inch Studs - Ideal for Broken, Rounded Off, Painted Over, and Rusted Tight Bolts

I tried it the first time... and it began spinning. I thought for sure that it was the tool slipping... only to see the stud backing out, and came out clean. PTL - I cannot describe how thankful I was. So I thought to post in the hopes it helps someone else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bolt In.jpg (446.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Bolt Out.jpg (311.6 KB, 26 views)

2006 VTX1300C - Bloodstone Red (Maroon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnudo View Post
Well - I'm hoping this helps someone. I scoured what seems like hundreds of "how to's" on broken bolt removal. And it just seemed hopeless. Here's what happened...

I have been chasing decel pop in my new V&H exhaust for quite a while now. I've replaced crush gaskets, I've done the pair valve removal, I've monkey with the A/F. Nothing has worked. So while I am waiting on my air cutoff valve repair diaphragm (as suggested in another post) to arrive - I decided while the bike was HOT... that maybe it'd be a good idea to give my already washered acorn nuts on my exhaust a little tightening up.

So just a little tightening up here and there... and then I get to my back exhaust port screw and am surprised at how easy it spins.... only to realized like a dumbarsicle I snapped it off. I remove the entire exhaust and for the last 3 days I've been PBlastering it, heating, vice gripping, tapping, swearing, praying... then decided it was time to bore it out and use an extractor set. Well the idea of boring scared the bejeezus out of me... so i just kept searching.

Well I searched all over trying to find "the one" to get... and I ran across this ->

ARES 70016 - Damaged Bolt and Stud Extractor Tool - Grips and Removes 1/4-Inch to 1/2-Inch Studs - Ideal for Broken, Rounded Off, Painted Over, and Rusted Tight Bolts

I tried it the first time... and it began spinning. I thought for sure that it was the tool slipping... only to see the stud backing out, and came out clean. PTL - I cannot describe how thankful I was. So I thought to post in the hopes it helps someone else.
that same stud was broken on my VTX1800 when I purchased the bike. I welded an oversized nut to what was left of it then backed it out. Pain in the a$$.
steveroy60 likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:46 AM
Old Goat

Congrats OP....Only 17 pounds of torque required....for me is a dollop of anti seize and German torque specs....”Guden Tight”. Good luck
Blaine C likes this.

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:50 PM

Garage
MrAnudo,
Man I feel your pain! One of friends had the done the same thing to his 1300. It took us hours to finally get that thing out.

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”
― Rudyard Kipling
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 10:56 AM

Popular Mechanics did this test 30 plus years ago and I've used it for 10 years now and it makes life so much easier in my shop. Just shake well before every use. The farmers called it farmers spit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191030-094811_Gallery_1572443781136.jpg (614.9 KB, 11 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page