Coldbloodedness & Carb Fiddling - VTXOA
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Coldbloodedness & Carb Fiddling

Hi again. I think I have reached my VTX Noob Quota, so hopefully this is the last bother for a while. I love this damn bike so much (and am a bit of a perfectionist), so just trying to get it all dialed in.

I'm at the office, and just rode it this morning, so top of mind. I love riding this time of year in Michigan, and stubbornly keep at it until temps are consistently below 40. Because the VTX has a windshield, it will be a go-to and often.

I get that a big, liquid-cooled V twin is going to be coldblooded, but am wondering if it can be improved. And if my carb situation is making it better or worse.

I installed a Dynojet Stage 1 kit (stock airbox and pipes), something I have done with numerous other bikes and was always happy with the results. And that is the case here. When it's warm out, the bike runs and pulls great.

I pull the choke fully, give it a few seconds, go about halfway (maybe 1500 rpm) for another half minute, and then give it a few revs as I close it (and make sure it is off completely), and it settles into a nice idle. I gave it another five minutes or so after that. It was in the upper 40's this morning. Even after a generous warmup, I was still getting random sputters and coughs, even a few miles in. And what responded so perfectly in warm weather feels, well, laggy from the low-end in cold. This is counter to my normal experience. Most of my bikes run great on the cool, dense air.

Do you think the jetting is helping or hurting in this situation?

I'm playing with some ideas for the weekend.

-Adjust A/F another 1/4 - 1/2 turn out (from memory, it's two turns out), use the stock diaphragm spring (an inch or two longer than the kit), adjust the Dynojet needle (also from memory, 3rd position)

-Swap the entire kit out back to stock (easy enough to do, but reluctant as it runs so well otherwise).

-Shut up and just deal with it, it's cold outside.

One thing to add, this appears to be under load only - the throttle responded nicely to small inputs from one finger once I got here, but that is static in the parking garage (and well warmed up).

Again, many thanks in advance.
steveroy60 likes this.

Robert
The correct amount of motorcycles to own is always N+1, N being the current number you own.
2005 Honda VTX1300S, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple,
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1992 Ducati 900SS

Last edited by rwantin; 10-09-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 AM

Cool

These 1300's are just plain out cold natured. Good luck with getting it figured out. Personaly I would have stayed with the stock setup. You have no air upgrade's.
TennX and rwantin like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
And maybe I go back to stock to have a sound baseline. It was noticeably improved after the kit, but realistically, that could also have been the result of a thorough cleaning. Maybe a little of both.

Robert
The correct amount of motorcycles to own is always N+1, N being the current number you own.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Old Goat

I use to mess with my cars...but saw no need to do so with the X...as Ive said I admire anybody that tries to get the maxim performance from their bike..for me the V$H was all that was needed....if folks stay out of the air box ...zero need for jetting...good luck OP.....
TeepS and rwantin like this.

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,DARKSIDE,foots mod.. ..
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:05 AM
JPT

Garage
I spent $350 + jets and had my bike dyno tuned. I have a wide open airbox. My bike puts out tons of power, and runs well even in the cold. I actually removed my choke. If you do mess with the jets, my personal believe is, spending the money will get you where you need to be. I don't have an exhaust sniffer to know if it is rich/lean, and I think people can at best get it close without one.

rwantin likes this.

2009 VTX1300R
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys, this helps.

I've always had pretty good luck with mild Stage 1 kits, if only because modern (at least non-injected) bikes always seemed on the lean side. It paid nice dividends in response. That may not be the case here, at least in the cold. For now and the forseeable future, I'm going to keep the stock pipes and airbox, as I am often leaving at 6:00 am and like my neighbors for the most part (the exception being the old Duc, which has the mandatory Termis). Then again, bolt on pipes sound appealing as it were (intrigued by the V&H if they're not too loud nor need a lot of fiddling and tuning).

I'm leaning towards putting her back to stock for now. In the end, just want her running well, especially in the cold.

Robert
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:20 AM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwantin View Post
Thanks guys, this helps.

I'm leaning towards putting her back to stock for now. In the end, just want her running well, especially in the cold.
No shame in stock...all thats lost is maybe some bragging rights....
rwantin likes this.

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,DARKSIDE,foots mod.. ..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:49 AM

a stock bike is a happy bike!!
Honda is one of the top of the line engineering for power sports
no need for home made molestation or modifications.if you want a long lasting trouble free bike.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwantin View Post

Do you think the jetting is helping or hurting in this situation?
Depends entirely on if it was done right.
Personally, I would put an open breather in it if you’re going through the trouble.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtun.html

(Ignore the float height instruction)
rwantin likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:40 PM

Garage
rwantan,
I put a "Dyno-Jet", stage 1 kit on my 1300 about 3 years ago. I have stock air box and stock pipes. I live in N.E. Ohio and have the similar weather related stuff to deal with as you. Becaues it has a carb it will take a few minutes to heat up but after that it runs just fine.

The Dyno-Jet package clames 5% boost in HP, and better gas milage... My bike runs great but as for the 5%...? I did this just before a long trip I had taken (just over 800 miles), mostly all highway and got slightly (and I mean slightly) better gas milage. I still have the stage 1 kit in the bike because it did help - slightly. The stock air box and pipes do allow it to breath normally as designed, thats important.

Keep your carb fuel filter clean and keep your spark plugs cleaned & gapped often, even if they look like they don't need and attention.

The only other thing you could do is every so often, use a little Sta-Bil or some other fuel additive - I forgot which one Honda recommends. Help keep fuel moving smoothly throughout the system even during the lousy weather.
steveroy60 and rwantin like this.

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”
― Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by Big Al; 10-10-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page