Leaking Choke/Idle - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Leaking Choke/Idle

Good morning all!!

I was hoping you could enlighten me with your wisdom (as I have none) to the following issues I'm having:

1. What does it mean when I pull the choke out and I get a 3-4 drops of fuel coming out? Also, the choke wants to go back in so I have to hold it out.

- Is there a gasket I need to replace? Springs I need to replace? I read that I might have to tighten the nut behind the choke.

2. I installed a tachometer a while back and I noticed that she idled high (1000 rpm's) once she was warmed up, I lowered the RPM's to about 900 and she ran great but when I went to start it the next couple of times it was too low and she would turn off.. I adjusted it up and she started right up but idles a bit high

- Is there an ideal setting for the RPM's?

Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Garage
Where the choke knob comes out of the bracket, a rubber cover is over the friction nut. You can loosen it to slam shut or tighten it to where you have to manually close it.

Mine is a manual close. I pull it completely out, crank engine, than push it in a bit to have a decent rpm. Put helmet and gloves on. Make a left, right, left and close choke when I shift to 3rd(summer), or 4th in the winter. Probably within 3/10 of a mile.

3 or 4 drops of gas.... Check petcock or tighten nut. Gas could be leaking and running that direction from lean angle.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 10-13-2019 at 09:52 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Good Morning!

I wanted to get back to everyone and say thanks as I solved one issue:

The idle issue was solved by tightening the the nut behind the choke. The choke stays out as long as needed with no auto return!!

On further and closer inspection, the fuel leak occurs upon hitting the starter button and seems to come from the back of the petcock. How tight should the petcock assembly be as there is a tiny bit of play (left/right) ? Is there a gasket there that needs to be replaced?

Thanks again,

Endocane

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:37 PM

Large nut on petcock just gets snugged down , not real tight. There is oring there that seals pet cock to tank .eo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page