Start getting ready for Winter. - Page 2 - VTXOA
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 10:59 AM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Downer View Post
Honestly, with the progressives I had zero improvement. 1300 c. maybe the r is more receptive to them.
Back in the day I bought a set...then read mixed reviews...sold them brand new in the box.... ....I may not be as sensitive as others...never had a bad ride on OEM....

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,DARKSIDE,foots mod.. ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 11:25 AM

New Progressives have to be better than 12yo OEM. look at it that way. New OEM's gotta be better too. New Oil, New Springs would be nice after 12-13 years. Talkin' bout my bike ya understand.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXArizona View Post
New Progressives have to be better than 12yo OEM. look at it that way. New OEM's gotta be better too. New Oil, New Springs would be nice after 12-13 years. Talkin' bout my bike ya understand.
Yea, I'd say it's about time for some new springs/oil.

We have a good 5 months of Winter or just generally lousy weather riding days. If you have a garage, it does give you the chance to get all the maintenance or up-grades you need to do.
VTXArizona likes this.

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”
― Rudyard Kipling

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXArizona View Post
Although my bike was orig sold new in Jul 2008, so really its 11 yo. Plus it was garage kept until i got it, now it is too in that speedway shelter under the carport. Keeps the bike more dust free than uncovered in a garage.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)

Last edited by VTXArizona; 10-27-2019 at 06:44 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
One of the things I was thinking when I started this thread was to encourage folks to come up with a Winter prep procedure.

Years ago, I got in the habit of giving my bike a really good going over in late Fall so when Spring comes rolling around, all I have to do is drop it off its stand, disconnect the trickle charger, air up the tires if they need it, start it up and go for a ride.

I wrote my own procedure complete with part no.'s, notes and products that I will need to use - It takes all the guess work out of this... plus I don't always remember everything from year to year.

This could be as simple or complicated as you want, but having a plan is way better than just "winging it." Saves a lot of trips back-n-forth from the store or waiting for the UPS driver to show up with parts.

Well anyway, just a thought here about Winter prep.
rwantin likes this.

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”
― Rudyard Kipling
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 08:00 AM

Garage
My winter prep is pretty straightforward. Oil change, tank topped off with stabilized fuel, a few extra pounds of air in the tires, and on the other bikes, wheels up off the ground (not seeing that with the VTX so maybe park it on multiple sheets of cardboard), and it's on a tender all winter (I have a four-port for the bikes). Every spring, they're ready to go.

This one, however, is a couple months new to me. Does everyone run the carb dry/drain? Or keep it full with the stabilized fuel? I used different procedures on the other bikes.

Oh, and for what it's worth, rode in to the office today, which, based on the weather outlook, may be the last ride of the season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VTX - Work.jpg (224.8 KB, 5 views)

Robert
The correct amount of motorcycles to own is always N+1, N being the current number you own.
2005 Honda VTX1300S, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple,
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1992 Ducati 900SS
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:48 AM

I don’t really do anything aside from running stabilized fuel once it’s getting close, and keep on top of my oil changes.
I never really know when the last ride will be. Could be now, could be December. Once the snow flies, I top off the tank and leave it on a tender until spring. Nothing complicated required.
TennX likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Now the fun begins!

Tomorrow, 11/2/19, I will be putting my bike up on the rack for some post-riding season TLC. All my parts & pieces have arrived and now it's time to start wrenching.

Besides my usual Winter prep, the only other real "project" that I will be getting into will be changing out the rubber brake lines for a set (front/back) https://spieglerusa.com/catalog/cate..._dropdown=1632

Along with a good cleaning of the calipers and a new OEM Honda brake pads.

― Rudyard Kipling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page