Start getting ready for Winter. - VTXOA
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brimfield Twp, OH
Posts: 174
Garage
Start getting ready for Winter.

Greetings everyone,
Up here in N.E. Ohio we are rounding 3rd & heading home for the 2019 riding season. I just checked weather.com and for the next 10 days, I might have 1 more decent day for riding but that might be all she wrote.

Historically I put my bike up for the Winter in November so I’m right on schedule with that. The parts & pieces I have ordered for my bike are starting to show up (oil, filters, plugs, etc.). Outside of regular maintenance items, the only other project(s) I have to do is I want to change out the brake lines - still riding on the original rubber ones and I think it's time to retire those. I also want to get a new set of tires.

I know you folks down South have a longer riding season than we do, so take advantage of the that good riding weather.

Those of you who live up here where I do, what are your Winter plans or up-grades for your VTX/Bike?
steveroy60 and VTXArizona like this.

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”
― Rudyard Kipling
Big Al is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 07:45 AM
Member
 
rwantin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Royal Oak, MI
Posts: 45
Garage
Yep, winding down here in MI as well (I did, however, ride into the office today, nice morning and decent-looking afternoon).

I don't have much on the winter docket, as I have been sorting as much as I can in the last few months (it is a recent acquisition). I might get it a seat for Christmas. One thing on my mind, progressive fork springs (the front end is a bit on the mushy side), bearing upgrade and maybe addressing the fork finish while it is all apart, which is oxidized pretty badly. Thinking maybe sanding and working my way to polish, but all eyes and ears for what others have done in this regard.
Big Al and steveroy60 like this.

Robert
The correct amount of motorcycles to own is always N+1, N being the current number you own.
2005 Honda VTX1300S, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple,
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1992 Ducati 900SS
rwantin is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brimfield Twp, OH
Posts: 174
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwantin View Post
Yep, winding down here in MI as well (I did, however, ride into the office today, nice morning and decent-looking afternoon).

I don't have much on the winter docket, as I have been sorting as much as I can in the last few months (it is a recent acquisition). I might get it a seat for Christmas. One thing on my mind, progressive fork springs (the front end is a bit on the mushy side), bearing upgrade and maybe addressing the fork finish while it is all apart, which is oxidized pretty badly. Thinking maybe sanding and working my way to polish, but all eyes and ears for what others have done in this regard.
I bought my VTX new in 2004 and I put a set of Progresive springs in my front forks back in 2009, made a real noticeable difference in handling - they still feel great. It is not a difficult job, several have posted a procedure on the sight, I have even written my own. Last year I replaced both fork seals - didn't leak but were just getting old. I had my dealer install all new wheel bearing at the begining of last riding season, again parts getting old. Along with a new set of tires made my bike just glide down the highway.
rwantin likes this.

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”
― Rudyard Kipling
Big Al is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 09:32 AM
Member
 
rwantin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Royal Oak, MI
Posts: 45
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
I bought my VTX new in 2004 and I put a set of Progresive springs in my front forks back in 2009, made a real noticeable difference in handling - they still feel great. It is not a difficult job, several have posted a procedure on the sight, I have even written my own. Last year I replaced both fork seals - didn't leak but were just getting old. I had my dealer install all new wheel bearing at the begining of last riding season, again parts getting old. Along with a new set of tires made my bike just glide down the highway.

This is great to hear. I have installed them on four other motorcycles, and was always happy with the improvement, just have never done it on a big cruiser before.

Robert
The correct amount of motorcycles to own is always N+1, N being the current number you own.
2005 Honda VTX1300S, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple,
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1992 Ducati 900SS
rwantin is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Donnie Downer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwantin View Post
....all eyes and ears for what others have done in this regard.
I would recommend the race tech gold valve emulators over progressives. No comparison, I have had both.
rwantin likes this.
Donnie Downer is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
jackk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, Ohio
Posts: 686
Yikes!! Toledo Ohio is same way, getting cold when the sun goes down. Rode last Saturday, temp by noon was 70.

2008 VTX1300R
Ultimate Seat
National Windshield - Modified
Cobra Light Bar
Hard Krome ? Pipes - 2 1/2"
Engine Guard - 1 1/4"
jackk is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brimfield Twp, OH
Posts: 174
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Downer View Post
I would recommend the race tech gold valve emulators over progressives. No comparison, I have had both.
I have not had those on my bike so I am not sure however they are a bit more money and do require some modifications to the stock set-up on the VTX. Wonder it that might be a bit of over-kill on a big cruiser?

like I said though, i'm just not sure?

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”
― Rudyard Kipling
Big Al is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Donnie Downer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,895
Honestly, with the progressives I had zero improvement. 1300 c. maybe the r is more receptive to them.
Donnie Downer is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 08:21 PM
Senior Member
 
wngd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Burlington ON Canada
Posts: 5,816
The first guy to say the W word should be shot



VTX 1800R, QQ drop bags/fender, Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood head unit, custom seat.
wngd is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
henkvdb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Louisville CO
Posts: 258
wngd

2003 1800s, 88k miles
henkvdb is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome