2007 vtx 1300 cold start and stumble off idle. - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2007 vtx 1300 cold start and stumble off idle.

So I just bought a new to me 2007 vtx 1300 with Vance and Hines exhaust one owner with 20k miles. Absolutely love the bike so far as my previous bike was an 05 boulevard c50. I am having issues with cold start and stumble off of idle. I have read lots of post on here and so far I have changed the plugs and (I do not use the choke), Pulled the bowl off of the carb and it was pretty clean but I went ahead and removed the jets and cleaned them thoroughly and set the A/F screw at 2 1/4 turns, and checked the accelerator pump. The previous owner has never had any carb work done. I am in northeast Alabama and right now the morning temps are lower 30s to mid 40s. I can give the throttle a couple twist and get the bike to fire up and idle but it seems to take a really long time before I can give it throttle without it dying. Once I can give it throttle it stumbles off of idle. Once the bike has ran for about 30 minutes or so it seems to run and ride great. But cant let the bike sit and run for 30 minutes before I ride it every morning. The biggest problem is when I leave my house and get on the road my first stop is on a pretty steep hill and with it stumbling off idle it makes it very difficult to take off across 4 lanes of traffic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 10:18 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Welcome, there is a "New Member Intro" board where you would have seen the Sticky thread explaining how your first 5 posts must be seen and approved by a moderator like me before they will show up for public viewing. This helps keep spammers off the board. There are only 3 of us doing this on our spare time for free so please only post once and allow us some time to find and approve your threads, thanks

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 10:39 AM

Garage
Did you make note of the jet numbers??
If you have stock jets use the choke aka cold start enrichment.

Every cold start I pull the knob out fully, crank/start, than push in the knob to reduce the the idle speed lower.

Put on gloves and helmet. I have a stop and go. Get on the road and and when I make it to 3rd or 4th gear push in the knob.
There is a slight gap between the rubber cover and the knob, about 1/8", that is normal.
A nut under the rubber cover to control the closing. If the choke closes itself, the engine will die. Too cold/too soon, no high idle.

Check vacuum hoses, they tend to crack on the interior wall.

You have V&H so probably the PAIR valve was removed.
Vacuum from manifold, a TEE, one port to petcock, the other port to carb ACO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Choke use.jpg (247.0 KB, 8 views)
RBS likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 11-22-2019 at 10:50 AM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 11:37 AM

Mine has issues with cold starts as well but all I need to do it stay lightly on the throttle so about 10-15 seconds just to get the rpm's up and once it warms slightly it will idle albeit is a bit low. But I have zero issues with it after that. Sometimes finding and repairing the gremlins is half the fun lol
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 09:53 PM

Garage
Set idle up just a few rpm's..
Perfect symptoms for Scar Mod.
Washer under Needle, top of carb. Adds just a touch more fuel at low rpm's..
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 02:59 PM

The scar mod only affects the high speed main jet. By adding the washer, it raises the needle thus allowing more gas to flow. Has nothing to do with the low speed jet. I would check for cracks in the vacuum hoses and also for pin holes in the slide diaphram.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 04:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewsifer View Post
Mine has issues with cold starts as well but all I need to do it stay lightly on the throttle so about 10-15 seconds just to get the rpm's up and once it warms slightly it will idle albeit is a bit low. But I have zero issues with it after that. Sometimes finding and repairing the gremlins is half the fun lol
Hyper-charger hose have broken frequently.
Inspect all hoses.

Choke aka cold start enrichment works great when pulled out all the way.
A poor transition at closing with no fast idle = engine dies.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I do apologize as I did not realize I had posted two times. It does have the stock jets and the pair valve is still on the bike. When I cleaned the carb the vacuum lines at the T were split internally so I replaced the vac lines while I was there. I have no issue with cold idle, it will start and idle fine but I have a dead spot/stumble off idle until the bike has been rode for a long distance and is completely warmed up. I actually have the bike torn back down right now and I am going to attempt the scar mod tomorrow. I only have a 2 mile commute to work so it is a bit aggravating that it is being so cold natured. I have read several post on here about cold starts and nobody seems to have these issues and they just get on them and go. I believe my A/F mixture is pretty close to good. When the bike is completely warm it falls right back down to idle it doesn’t settle back down or catch itself. I appreciate all of the help! This is a great forum! Just a side note, I am a Ford Tech so I do know all of the basics about engines and such but I’m new the the motorcycle world and carbs so all help is greatly appreciated.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
Try the choke, that's what it is for.
07Blackcherry likes this.

2004 VTX1300C
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 10:05 PM

no choke? why?
cold starts and warmups is what its there for.
07Blackcherry likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page