Choke and warmup - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Choke and warmup

I'm not positive, but I may have screwed up my choke? When I start with the knob pulled OUT on a coldstart, it won't start at all. I have to push the choke knob IN to start it. That seems opposite to what I thought. Also, the tach reads about 650 when it first starts, and giving it throttle too quickly will stall it. It takes about 5-10 minutes of warm-up for the RPMs to gradually increase to 950. After that, it runs like a champ. Responds to throttle fine.
Any thoughts?

Regards,
Pete
Gaithersburg, MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoggiPJ View Post
I'm not positive, but I may have screwed up my choke? When I start with the knob pulled OUT on a coldstart, it won't start at all. I have to push the choke knob IN to start it. That seems opposite to what I thought. Also, the tach reads about 650 when it first starts, and giving it throttle too quickly will stall it. It takes about 5-10 minutes of warm-up for the RPMs to gradually increase to 950. After that, it runs like a champ. Responds to throttle fine.
Any thoughts?
The choke should be raising the idle by enriching the the air/fuel mixture, it is unusual that your bike wont start using the choke. Maybe your bike is running too rich to begin with?

I recommend a throttle-lock for any VTX 1300 owner, after starting the bike i lock my throttle in at 1000 RPM (on my tach) while i unplug the battery tender, put on my helmet, mount phone, put gloves on etc, usually 3-4 mins and i am good to go
Raising the RPM'S will obviously warm-up the bike faster. The VTX 1300's are cold-blooded bikes that wake-up a little cranky in the morning, especially when the temps are cold.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...6-img-0578.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)

Last edited by VTXArizona; 12-05-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:57 PM

Try using 1/2 choke and also make sure the choke is staying 'ON' or pulled out when your are starting the bike.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...6-img-0578.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you both
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 09:19 AM

Mine also, when its 35 degrees it take 5 - 2 second starts and cobra jet air cleaner spits out smoke. then starts, is this normal ???. i just got a 2015 fury with cobra pipes, commander, and cobra jet. yesterday i saw something dripping from air cleaner but was not gasoline, maybe condensation IDK
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 01:40 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFury15 View Post
Mine also, when its 35 degrees it take 5 - 2 second starts and cobra jet air cleaner spits out smoke. then starts, is this normal ???. i just got a 2015 fury with cobra pipes, commander, and cobra jet. yesterday i saw something dripping from air cleaner but was not gasoline, maybe condensation IDK
If you have to spray something in to get it to start, it isn't running right and I would not run it ride it until I got that fixed. And if this is on the Fury, not a VTX, you have a EFI problem as that is not a carbed bike. Also, the throttlebodies are coated in a film of molybdenum and if you clean that off with spraying starter fluid into it, your bike will need a new throttlebody for it to run properly again as it uses that moly to seal the butterflies

The Fury drip is most likely from the crankcase vent as Honda hooks that into the airbox. In both the VTX manual and Fury that is a maintenance item once a year to clean out the little catch tube on the back of the airbox. That is condensation and oil mix crud from the crankcase

AMA Life Member 721314

Last edited by Chicago-Spike; 12-08-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page