Sputter, cough, backfire loss of power, mistery solved! - Page 3 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

I had extended warranty yet I fixed it myself!! After a year I didn't know this was covered under warranty, go figure.
I am glad that this post has helped the vtx community.

Honda VTX 1300S 2003
No fuel pump/Tubeless tires on spoke wheels/Cobra pipes/Stebel Horn/
http://www.advlife.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 10:36 AM

I wonder if maybe if before breaking if you were to put some sealant around where the wires are breaking if that would help, what do you guys think?

Agape, Bruce
A member of Team Drew!!
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool runnins
I wonder if maybe if before breaking if you were to put some sealant around where the wires are breaking if that would help, what do you guys think?
Maybe CR Dude, but in another thread somewhere it was suggested that if the wires broke inside the sealant it might be hard to get to them.
As Always Peaceful Cruisiní
BLACK POWER

new skull bib
http://peacefulcruisin.com/db2/00183/pe ... llbib2.jpg

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 03:58 PM

Oh what fond memories this brings back...
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool runnins
Don't know if that would help. Sounds like the problem may be caused by improper crimping of the connector onto the end of the wire, damaging the strands of copper. This weak place in the wire is then stressed by the vibration and fails. Securing the ECM may be a better solution, short of replacing the harness. Adding a layer of insulation may just make it harder to find. Connector issues acount for perhaps 90% of electrical problems. And they can drive you crazy trying to troubleshoot it.

"03 1300S, Black & Chrome
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 09:39 AM

Well, well, its had been a week or so since I fired the X up. Cold and rainy up here.

Saturday it was looking real nice out so I decided to go for a spin, long story short she burped on me ten minís into the ride. Not wanting to get stuck in the middle of nowhere I turned around and headed back home. Parked and removed the seat and because of this post I new where to look. The green wire at the ECM was cut, not completely through but at least half the copper strands were severed.

Started it up and poked at the wire, it broke completely through and the X shut off.

Removed the female connector from the plug, that took a min. but I used one of the empty ones to locate the lock tab, went in at it with a big paper clip from the wire side and it slid right out.
Soldered it up put it back together and when for that ride.

Thanks Kingato for the heads up back in September.

Black 1300c (because its fastest)

There is only one sport, motorsport.
If there is no horsepower its just a game.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 10:50 AM

Yes...This sure brings back lots of bad memories...

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50819

But no more problems since.

.____________.\\ //..____________
.___________.( o o )
+-----------ooO---(_)---Ooo-----------+

"Life is all memory, except for the one present moment that goes by so quickly you hardly catch it going."
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 09:20 AM

You guys are awsome. This forum is a great thing. So...... I was sitting around the garage last night and decided to check my battery connections and ignition module, since I read about it yesterday in this thread. Sure enough.... ignition modlue loose as a goose with battery cables to match!! Thanks every one!! Problem solved before it had a chance to rear it's ugly head!!

'04 1300c,Candy Orange,Mustang seat,switchblade windshield,clayton mod,No neck trim
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 05:07 PM

This is what I would consider to be a critical item to check whenever the seat is off and fasten the ICM so it cannot move around.

Great post and contributions from all - I took the liberty of submitting this to the VTXOA Garage so that it becomes a little more visible to others.

Well done.

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 09:32 AM

Thumbs up Backfire on acceleration (COLD)

Hello,

I recently had a problem with my 05 VTX 1300c occasionally misfiring cold on acceleration and slowly worsening.
I'm currently at (Factory pro) 58 pilot,210 main jet,notch 4 on needle,1 1/2 turns out on the fuel/air mix,Pennsylvania,9500 mi.
K&N air filter and double D's.I assumed it was a fuel/air mixture issue being it was only happening in the morning.A possible lean condition?
After a couple weeks of experimenting with different jets and mixtures i had no luck.
I searched the internet and found your post. At first I thought "NO WAY" as i had not touched the
ICM on top of the battery.So for the hell of it I checked it out. I no sooner popped the module out
of its holder and the black wire broke off???,further inspection revealed chaffing on the green wire???
I got the pin connectors out using a threading needle,soldered the wires and pushed them back in.
Test drove and now the bike runs great!!!!! Thanks so much for the info. and thanks to everyone for taking the
time to post your finds. It would have been costly to pay someone to diagnose and repair this and I enjoy figuring
these things out on my own.I hope this helps out someone else as well.

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page