Spring sound - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Spring sound

I had my rear spring setting set on #3 at one time. When I'd get around 70mph I'd hear what sounds to me like a spring sound. Maybe like a slinky (the toy) sound that last maybe a second at the most. And mostly when I went around a curve or hit a bump on a curve.

Now I have my rear spring set on #4 and I hear it more often and don't have to be running 70mph to hear it. It sounds as if it's coming from either underneath me or behind me.

What could it be? Could it be either my rear shocks or my final drive? Anybody else hear this on theirs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 08:44 AM

Don't know if this is what you're hearing, but I get a vibration around 75-80 in 5th gear. I think it's resonance of the exhaust. Everything has a natural frequency and I think that's where the exhaust on my C does it's maximum vibration. It also happens when I rev the engine to about the same speed.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

It's not a vibration.... Just a strange sound...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Mr X

Re: Spring sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan61999
...What could it be? Could it be either my rear shocks or my final drive?...
I would suspect the coil in the shock is shifted slightly and coming in contact with the chrome shroud. Increasing the shock setting places more load against the rebound spring and can distort it if not being compressed evenly. Try compressing a spring from a ball point pen and you'll see what I mean.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 06:26 PM
VTX-Factor

Hey Nathan. I get the very same noise. To me it sounded almost like a person was taking a steel brush and rubbing it very quickly on an old metal washboard. I have my shocks set on the #2 setting. Weird, but I haven't worried about it.

Happy crusin'
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 12:49 AM
RRKR

Re: Spring sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan61999
...What could it be? Could it be either my rear shocks or my final drive?...
I would suspect the coil in the shock is shifted slightly and coming in contact with the chrome shroud. Increasing the shock setting places more load against the rebound spring and can distort it if not being compressed evenly. Try compressing a spring from a ball point pen and you'll see what I mean.

Good answer
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX-Factor
Hey Nathan. I get the very same noise. To me it sounded almost like a person was taking a steel brush and rubbing it very quickly on an old metal washboard. I have my shocks set on the #2 setting. Weird, but I haven't worried about it.

Happy crusin'
You described it perfectly. I was hoping it was as everyone seems to think, being the shocks and not something going on with the drive. That would bite.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 11:01 PM
VTX-Factor

Any ideas why it only does it at about 70? I can be riding 55 and hit a big bump and not hear the noise, yet I can be riding at 70 and hit a small bump or g-out and hear it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page