Does anyone remember when.... - Page 2 - VTXOA
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

I understand nothing will last forever and company's are in business to make money. But like many have stated it seems right at the 5 year Mark they die. And that would cover most extended warranty policy.

I just Wanna Ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 07:11 PM

Growing up we had one of those 8' long stereo, TV console things with 13 channels and UHF for excitement. I WAS the remote to change the channel. I had to sit next to it and adjust the antenna.

The main thing I remember was our refrigerator. Huge, heavy and it was made by General Motors! No kidding! I swear a 327 Chevy V8 was running that thing for ever!

"It's too bad we live in a world where Common Sense is considered a Super Power"
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 04:25 PM

One problem is too many Americans seem to think that manufacturing jobs are the best job in the world and too many are unable or unwilling to learn and train for other types of jobs. Therefore to maintain and even increase the number of manufacturing jobs, the US must make increasingly poor products so that they will wear out and have to be replaced.

2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 07:15 PM

The increasingly poor products are usually made overseas. There are superior quality products made here, but their costs are way above what some import is. People would rather buy Walmart than a quality mfgr. Sometimes guilty here. Harbor freight too.
VTXERR and StarrRider like this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

With all do respect to the people who ARE NOT like my father and his generation, Americans are LAZY! We want top pay, top benefits, 3 weeks vacation, sick days galore, and paid holidays for stupid things like national bird day lol. Why would a huge Corp pay all that when other countries are willing to do the same job for 1/3 pay , benefits, perks, etc. I don't agree with over sea products but when you look at the whole pic u start to understand why. NOT EVERY ONE IS LIKE THAT SO PLEASE DONT TAKE OFFENSE. But it seems the younger generation somewhat is. Just my opinion. And yes I am the younger generation.
nate6966 likes this.

I just Wanna Ride
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXERR View Post
We had 2 of those cabinet stereo's lol. One side was the tuner and 8 track, the other was the record player. U just sparked my memory lol
Man, I remember my father had a Fisher stereo system when I was a kid that lasted him forever. I also remember it had vacuum tubes. I remember having to go down to the hardware store, and comparing prong configurations and sizes for replacement tubes.
Fender60 and OUTLAW 923 like this.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 12:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
8-Track, I have a recorder/player. About everytime I play an 8T the splice falls apart.
Old 1973 Sears canister vac still sucks. (I lube motor bushings when they get noisy)
Old cheap Hoover carpet vac died a few years ago.
1983 Sears dryer expired about 3 years ago.
22 years in this house, original AC unit still in service. (Contractor unit)
Air handler blower replaced---my fault I forgot to oil it.
GE dishwasher died about 5 years ago. I replaced one motor previously.
GE microwave died, I replaced defective rectifier diode.
GE side by side fridge/freezer still going, I repaired defrost heater wiring.
I still have one of those old Sears canister vacuums!! Was trying to sell it at my garage sale this last weekend, and one guy mentioned that he remembered it from when he was a kid, but didn't even think about buying it. It's lasted probably 30-40 YEARS, and STILL WORKS! The only problem there MIGHT be with it is that you may not be able to find the "bags" for it anymore. I think @JorgeMango has it right, that they "plan" to have the newer devices "break" or "die" just about the same time that the warranty is up, so they can keep taking your money to buy new ones. It means poor quality items, but it keeps THEM in the money and jobs and such. The same thing has pretty much happened with EVERYTHING, though.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:17 PM

Garage
Anyone shop at northern tool? I used to stop by often to pick up the odds and ends tools I needed but walked in the other day after about a year and saw their prices have almost doubled on everything! I used to like shopping at NT until their price included an arm and a leg.

It almost seems as if people could shop at snap-on (or like place) and save money in the long run. I don't know what snap-on charges for different things but how much more can it be after buying two or three at retail prices, trying to return them, failing and purchasing the same tool?
Fender60 likes this.

North Texas Rider

Last edited by JorgeMango; 07-27-2016 at 05:21 PM.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:42 PM

Northern Tools isn't over price here in Appleton, WI but it is a rather small store as compaired to the one in West Allis (Milwaukee), WI. There's not much to chose from.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 11:08 AM

Garage
Chuck, I'll agree with you that Sears never made their own stuff, and that the appliances and other mechanical products probably DID go to the lowest bidder. Not the tools though (at least the hand tools). Sears has a specific contract for the Craftsman products, and that is awarded based on quality and performance, and has been made by the same company for years. I used to be one of the managers at the plant in Arkansas. Under different titles -- Mapco, Inland, Irvin and a couple of other brands were also made in the same plant. Great tools, and the only thing they don't warrant against,,,,,,, lost tools.
Fender60 likes this.

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21", Kury Engine Bar & Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Ultimate Seats, Cobra Slash-Cuts, Progressive 430 Shocks & Springs, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Show Chrome Fringe, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page