Congregation Shames An Old Cowboy For Dressing Inappropriately... - VTXOA
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
RBS

Congregation Shames An Old Cowboy For Dressing Inappropriately...

His Response? Pure GOLD!

When most people go to a religious service of any kind, they usually wear their best clothes – which often means their most expensive attire. People believe that it’s important to look your best when entering a sacred place.
It’s such a social norm in houses of worship that people who dress more casually may get funny looks from other congregants. But is a church really the place to judge others?
Right before services began one Sunday morning, an old cowboy walked into a high-end church that was usually populated by the richest people in the city. He wore blue jeans, boots, and a denim shirt. Though the clothes had clearly gotten worn out over the years, even slightly tattered, they were perfectly clean.

Danie Van Der Merwe / Wikimedia Commons
He had taken off his old hat, which he carried in one hand, while carrying an old Bible that had clearly been used heavily over the years in the other hand. Everyone else in the church was wearing expensive clothes and jewelry, but the cowboy was more impressed by how big and beautiful the church itself was.

Quotesgram
Everyone around him moved away when the cowboy took a seat. Horrified by how he looked, nobody said a word to him to greet him or welcome him. Some people even looked at each other and chuckled. “Don’t come in here again until you have a good, long talk with God about what he thinks you should wear to worship,” the preacher whispered to him after the service ended.

Tom Armitage / Flickr
The old cowboy promised the preacher that he would do just that. Yet he arrived the next Sunday wearing the exact same thing. Once again, those who did not quietly judge or mock him outright ignored him. “I thought we agreed that you wouldn’t come in again until you spoke to God,” said the preacher, after everybody but the cowboy had left.

Pixabay
“I did speak to Him,” said the cowboy. He said that he had no idea what I should wear. He said He ain’t never been in your church.”

Democrats & Republicans- 2 Sides Of A Counterfeit Coin.

I'm Not Politically Correct - I'm Honest.

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:59 AM

I've been in a few of those.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:19 PM

Garage
That is NOT the way Christians in church should be! It's a shame that some people only look at the outside of others, and ignore the terrible darkness inside themselves!!

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 01:53 PM

Garage
Reminds me of the movie "Oh God" with John Denver and George Burns - where John goes to the TV evangelist and tells him - "God gave me a message for you. He said you should go sell shoes".....

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21", Kury Engine Bar & Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Ultimate Seats, Cobra Slash-Cuts, Progressive 430 Shocks & Springs, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Show Chrome Fringe, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 02:08 PM

Location: Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!
God had never been to any of the churches I've ever attended.

Back when I did attend Church as a believer, I was harassed for my long hair by a few of the members telling me it was "wrong" for me to have long hair (it was the 70's and my hair was shoulder length).

Christians aren't immune from being shallow, superficial, and especially from being judgmental. The sheep of any gatherings get uncomfortable with non-conformance.

What the Bible says about dress:

"A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this. (NIV, Deuteronomy 22:5)"

Women have been wearing men's jeans for years in the Christian communities and to church and nobody cares.

"Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together. (NIV, Deuteronomy 22:11) "

Mixed fibers were frowned upon, but nobody cares what "God" thinks these days, even in church.

"I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. (NIV, 1 Timothy 2:9-10)"

Even the New Testament guidelines for dress is ignored.

How many women disobey the New Testament guidelines for dress by not wearing a veil???

"Any man who prays or prophesies with something on his head disgraces his head, but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled disgraces her head--it is one and the same thing as having her head shaved. For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or to be shaved, she should wear a veil. For a man ought not to have his head veiled, since he is the image and reflection of God; but woman is the reflection of man. (NRSV, 1 Corinthians 11:4-7) "

Now, somebody will chime in with some justification for ignoring their Bible's teachings, but since it's clear that most "believers" make up their religions as they go, it would be wasted on me.

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 04:00 PM

Garage
Would they shoot there wounded?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 04:44 PM

This story is s cute, but it's just that...a story. There are surely some stuffy churches out there but they're becoming less and less common.

James 2:1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?
5Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7Are they not the ones who are blaspheming the noble name of him to whom you belong?

2006 VTX1800F1

The roads are calling and I must go!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
RBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyBiker View Post
This story is s cute, but it's just that...a story. There are surely some stuffy churches out there but they're becoming less and less common.

James 2:1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?
5Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7Are they not the ones who are blaspheming the noble name of him to whom you belong?
Yep.
Ryder and nate6966 like this.

Democrats & Republicans- 2 Sides Of A Counterfeit Coin.

I'm Not Politically Correct - I'm Honest.

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyBiker View Post

Interesting. But so seldom seen.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortround View Post
Interesting. But so seldom seen.
Maybe in your circles. Not mine!
Ryder and papavball like this.

2006 VTX1800F1

The roads are calling and I must go!

Last edited by LeftyBiker; 07-26-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page