Waving at others - VTXOA
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Waving at others

I got this from another board where we were discussing how to wave at other bikers, why and why not it's a good thing.

"In Toronto (where I currently ride a Scarabeo 200 and will soon have a Burgman 400) I wave at everyone and get waves from almost everyone except mostly scooter riders who seem strangely oblivious to the custom of waving among bikers.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass along this passage from elsewhere on the web that perfectly sums up the snobbishness among some bikers:

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community - a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half helmets - God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, do I hate those guys. I don't wave at them either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180 degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they have all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grandpa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys - I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color as long as it is red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a Desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on the top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should ever wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me, and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me. And by the way, neither will the guys in two piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at - those guys with the helmets with loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet - like I'm going to wave back at that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is like a family, a close knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special.'

This followed by another that idnetifies the writer.

"I was so impressed by this essay, I wanted to find out where it first appeared and who wrote it. I found a 2006 link to a Ninja 250 Riders Club and found the essay. It was written by Shalom Auslander, a professional writer who has published short stories, two novels and pieces for Esquire, NY Times, GQ and others. He also created Showtime's 'Happyish.' (cancelled after one season).

That's all"

I generally wave to anyone that waves at me. How about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 07:33 AM

Cool

DIDO
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 09:12 AM

Funny stuff. I don't wave at Harley guys either. I hate those cheese d***s!

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 10:29 AM

I wave at all. If they wave back, fine. If not, no big deal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
LJ, Smoke, jammerwalker and 2 others like this.

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence, and intelligence doesn't always mean there's common sense in use.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papavball View Post
I wave at all. If they wave back, fine. If not, no big deal.

Ditto here. I'm usually an out-going kinda guy. I don't try to piss people off, but it happens. If someone doesn't want to be 'friendly', it's their loss. There are others who will.
jammerwalker and papavball like this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 01:18 PM

Garage
Is this not an acceptable wave???? It always gets a wave back.

Curt E likes this.

'04 1300S or at least used to be.

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 02:33 PM

Garage
I wave at ALL 2 wheel motorized operators... ( motorcyclists )

and many bicycle riders as well. ( possible future motorcyclists )

and most Amish buggies ... or Amish walkers, and most of these wave back

and have since 1969.
jammerwalker and Oksikahl like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 02:51 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Here we go again, can you HONESTLY say that you wave to EVERY bike that passes you? Or just the ones that you see and recognize before they are gone past you? At a closure rate of just say 60 mph(that's both bikes coming at each other at 30mph ) you have a very small window to recognize a bike coming, tell your arm to start moving and wave.
Now, I have better than 20/20 vision and I can't tell what kind of bike it is most of the time. I see two wheels and I stick a hand out. I've been caught waving at scooters now that they are so popular. I also miss a lot of bikes. Why? Because my attention was elsewhere, I was focused on traffic, or listening to music, or thinking of what I need at the store, or a million other reasons why I missed a bike.
Most of teh non wavers I get are from Goldwingers. Sportbikes wave, cruisers wave, BMWs wave, but Wingers can't I guess

AMA Life Member 721314
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 03:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Folks up this way just stopped waving. There's no brotherhood or camaraderie like years ago.

If someone waves to me, I'll wave back, I stopped initiating it though.

Bub Club member #361
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Here we go again, can you HONESTLY say that you wave to EVERY bike that passes you? Or just the ones that you see and recognize before they are gone past you? At a closure rate of just say 60 mph(that's both bikes coming at each other at 30mph ) you have a very small window to recognize a bike coming, tell your arm to start moving and wave.
Now, I have better than 20/20 vision and I can't tell what kind of bike it is most of the time. I see two wheels and I stick a hand out. I've been caught waving at scooters now that they are so popular. I also miss a lot of bikes. Why? Because my attention was elsewhere, I was focused on traffic, or listening to music, or thinking of what I need at the store, or a million other reasons why I missed a bike.
Most of teh non wavers I get are from Goldwingers. Sportbikes wave, cruisers wave, BMWs wave, but Wingers can't I guess
I beg to differ. As a Goldwinger, I wave to all. Harleys are the worst non wavers.

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence, and intelligence doesn't always mean there's common sense in use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page