Celebs as activists - Page 3 - VTXOA
 101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnOne2000 View Post
I watched the Jane Fonda video in the first link. She did what they asked her to do and she brought it to the attention of other people. I should look into it and form an opinion.

In my attached video Johnathan Pine says, "It's almost as if the political acumen of Jay-Z and Beyonce count for nothing..." around the 3 minute mark. It makes me laugh each time I hear him say it. He spends most of his time saying that people have lost the ability to discuss the issues.
If you're at work and/or offended by the "f***" word do not click this link.
Wow! Excellent points made there. One of the best responses I've heard from the left, if not THE best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:11 PM

Garage
He's not talking about a Chinook wind

I know, man! I've heard it so many times..."entertainers should just stick to entertaining"! However....most of the time I'm glad they get involved! In many instances they have the ability to bring light to situations that the media and most of us simple folks would rather ignore. Granted, this is not always the case.

Am I correct in assuming from the tone of your article and your input on the Chinook winds that you are a "climate change denier"? If so, I feel that you, along with many others are missing a huge point by arguing climate change away by citing local patterns that often change and then saying , "that's all there is to it"!

My father spent his life as a dedicated biologist, and unfortunately, so much of what he told me when I was a kid is now true. He was not an "alarmist" either. Sure, regional weather patterns change constantly as does everything on this earth. However, that in no way is sufficient to deny larger global patterns or the fact that us humans are horrible caretakers of this beautiful planet! Over the last 150 years or more with the industrialization of a large part of the planet, along with massive deforestation, pollution and population expansion at massive rates, all have significant impact on our global climate and will continue to do so-for the worst!

Cheers!
House O' Pain likes this.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwise View Post
Am I correct in assuming from the tone of your article and your input on the Chinook winds that you are a "climate change denier"? If so, I feel that you, along with many others are missing a huge point by arguing climate change away by citing local patterns that often change and then saying , "that's all there is to it"!
Thanks for your input on this.

For the record, I can neither deny or confirm global warming. There is a fairly long and detailed thread on climate change the points out that in many cases there is bad science behind the claim. I have doubts and am not 100% convinced! but know we need to be better stewards of our earth. To that end I believe we agree. And this thread really isn't about that.

The Chinook wind remark was about a celeleb who has an adjenda and is misinformed. If one were to validate a hypothesis, pointing to a recurring known phenomenon as proof, in this case is laughable and really damages the position taken. It is alarmist and is bad science, invalidating his position.

People who are misinformed and lobby against anything in particular is what I wanted this to be about. Celebs in particular, using their status to promote a misinformed position makes it worse. There are far more heinous polluting going on daily, but instead of starting where the biggest difference can be made, we see them pick the easiest targets. I would be far more impressed if they chose a larger target to affect greater change. Picking an easy target is, well just easy.

She was right about one thing though, our leader is a putz!

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:39 AM

Maybe if these "celebrities" didn't make $5 million for making pretend they are someone else for a little while or $1 million for a 30 minute tv show they might be more believable! I mean, come on people. You live in a dream world while the real people work 40 to 60 hours a week for $10 to $20 per hour, have a mortgage ( we don't spend $20 million on a house), car payment (can't afford a garage full of vehicles), a few kids to take care of (feed, clothe and raise to be respectful). It is the "normal" people that voted Trump as POTUS because we were tired of listening to the liberals tell us how we should feel and what we should do. IMHO, obummer wasn't the best POTUS but he was a long way from being a good one also! All the celebs that were leaving office if Trump won were blowing smoke because they thought their voice carried weight...WRONG! Go back in your pretend world and make more movies, tv shows, whatever it is you do and I will not support nor by anything you are in or on and I will be happy as a poor white man with very little except a clear heart and mind and the satisfaction of knowing that I am an American!

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! 01/20/2017
jammerwalker, eperk and rangers4u like this.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/soonernomo/CAM00074_zps18241eb3.jpg

'07 1800N, Ultimate Big Boy seat, USA Trailer Store fairing w/Long Ride Shields 9" windshield, Leather Lyke bags, G-Max 195/60-16 tire, MCHitch trailer hitch, Cycle Mate CM2000 trailer
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:20 AM

Garage
They are mostly all out of touch with reality. Send them all to a remote island, out of the USA..
jammerwalker and rangers4u like this.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:53 AM

right on

05 1800S, Hondaline winshield, Kury grips, Kury throttle boss, Hondaline bags, 'C' risers, Vtxexhaust pipes, Desmog, K&N, Kury floorboards, Kury brake pedal, lots of chrome, BadX memeory foam mod, Cobra Fatties, Firehouse Customs backrest,Techlusion TFI, Kury bullets, Spyker air filter cover.

Don't Thread On Me
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

They are nothing more than trained monkeys on a leash. WE HOLD THAT LEASH PEOPLE! If we stop going to Meryl Streep movies, Hollywood will stop giving her scripts. She is no more than another delicate snowflake but she had a mic in front of her. I didn't watch that show, I didn't watch her speech/whine session, I will NEVER go see another one of her horrible movies. If you think that they are more than this, than you really must have a very weak constitution and can't turn a TV off or a radio off or stop buying tickets to her movies. When I want to be entertained, I turn the crank and the monkey dances for me. I stop with the handle and the monkey stops and I never think of that monkey again.

Yes, some of these monkeys do good things, but so do a lot of regular Joe's and Jane's that never get ANY press nor want any press for the good they do. Does that make these trained monkeys better than them? No, just different because they will only do this for a camera. Yes there are exceptions to this as well, Gary Sinise comes to mind as one of the good actors, as is Denzel Washington. But these other monkeys like Sue Sarandon, Fonda, Bono, Sean Penn and plenty more that do the "I am an ACTOR and I KNOW MORE THAN YOU DO, SO FOLLOW ME OR YOU SUCK..." crap and I have been sick of it for years.

These monkey WANT US to believe that they are so much better than us. Some fall for this head over heel as seen here in this thread. Others, more strong willed, know that they are just monkey's waiting for someone to turn a crank and make them dance for a few minutes. Remember, WE control that crank.
jammerwalker, RBS, Harkon and 2 others like this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Celebs as activists
I'm a conservative. I'm a liberal. I'm God. I'm the devil. I eat meat. I don't. I am greatly blessed. Life sucks. The N/S poles are melting... we are doomed. The temps are in 70's and I'm riding a lot.

Whose ideology really matters? No one but my own. We are all put here for others. If our minds and ideas are wrong, we cannot affect positive changes in the lives of others.

I take every stance with a grain of salt. My observance of celebs is that they are in positions where they can do some great things for all kinds of people everywhere if they desire. If they indulge in politics, they are wasting their time.

Danny Thomas helped found St. Jude's childrens hospital. This is the type of things celebs should strive to do.

post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 12:40 PM

Garage
They really should shut up and stick to entertaining. Face it, entertainers for the most part are dumb as stumps. Sure they can read lines and be fake (acting), but outside of that most are not highly educated and sound like total idiots when the words coming out of their mouths are their own. Hell, my parrot can speak but I sure as hell am not going to listen to her.
TennX and rangers4u like this.

'04 1300S or at least used to be.

post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Location: Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
They are nothing more than trained monkeys on a leash. WE HOLD THAT LEASH PEOPLE! If we stop going to Meryl Streep movies, Hollywood will stop giving her scripts. She is no more than another delicate snowflake but she had a mic in front of her. I didn't watch that show, I didn't watch her speech/whine session, I will NEVER go see another one of her horrible movies. If you think that they are more than this, than you really must have a very weak constitution and can't turn a TV off or a radio off or stop buying tickets to her movies. When I want to be entertained, I turn the crank and the monkey dances for me. I stop with the handle and the monkey stops and I never think of that monkey again.

Yes, some of these monkeys do good things, but so do a lot of regular Joe's and Jane's that never get ANY press nor want any press for the good they do. Does that make these trained monkeys better than them? No, just different because they will only do this for a camera. Yes there are exceptions to this as well, Gary Sinise comes to mind as one of the good actors, as is Denzel Washington. But these other monkeys like Sue Sarandon, Fonda, Bono, Sean Penn and plenty more that do the "I am an ACTOR and I KNOW MORE THAN YOU DO, SO FOLLOW ME OR YOU SUCK..." crap and I have been sick of it for years.

These monkey WANT US to believe that they are so much better than us. Some fall for this head over heel as seen here in this thread. Others, more strong willed, know that they are just monkey's waiting for someone to turn a crank and make them dance for a few minutes. Remember, WE control that crank.

Your rant does a disservice to actors in general, classifying them as "monkeys." The irony here is that these "monkeys" control and influence society probably more than anyone else on the planet. They turn the "crank" and we all dance to it. I can cite lists of examples, but if you don't get it I'll not bother.

Your projecting that actors that speak up on issues they are passionate about are trying to make people think they are better than us isn't founded on anything other than perhaps your insecurity and penchant for sweeping generalizations. There is nothing inherently self-aggrandizing about speaking up/out on a topic, be it an actor or the common man/person.

BTW óNot listening to a persons (even an actors') point of view has little to do with 'strong will' and has more to do with clinging to preconceived bias.

The only message of merit from your rant I can agree with, is one I'm reading between the lines to understand; Just because someone is extremely talented at acting, (e.g. won awards) or popular, it doesn't follow that their opinions are more expert or warrant more merit than anyone else's.
Kn!ght likes this.

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page