Are You Old Enough To Remember...? - Page 2 - VTXOA
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:21 AM

I remember them all. Remember being sent to the store when I was 5 years old to get a loaf of bread and cigarettes for dad. Those days little kids were turned loose to play in the neighborhood all day .
RBS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:29 AM

Garage
small town... He!!... I grew up in Cleveland Ohio...

a photo from 1973.

72 CB750

City Streets made of BRICKS.
Yes my bike.. at 500 miles, installed the 850 kit and all the other work... even black cylinders.

going to store...
my first time by myself.. at 6 years old... pulled behind store and robbed at knife point.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 07-21-2017 at 08:32 AM.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:31 AM

Remember all of them. Lived down from a company owned filling station. The station guys wore uniforms, cleaned your windows, checked oil and water, checked tires and vacuumed your car. All for a dollars worth of gas.

2007 VTX 1300C Black

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBackLane View Post
Remember all of them. Lived down from a company owned filling station. The station guys wore uniforms, cleaned your windows, checked oil and water, checked tires and vacuumed your car. All for a dollars worth of gas.
that was my first Job.. still have One blue and white striped shirt.. Sunoco...
nights and Saturdays after school.

for a fill-up.(10 gallons or more). Free 6 bottles of Pepsi.. or a dinner set...
aka 1966

post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:26 AM

Yes, all the freebies gas stations used to give as perks for buying 'their' gas. All for 25 c./ gallon. I grew up with Capt. Kangaroo, Mr. Green Jeans, and Dancing Bear. BTW, my friend Bill had a Schwinn 5 sp. w/ banana and apes. I dusted his ass w/ my Hercules English style w/ 3 sp. twist grip shifter. Grandma always had those orange marshmallow peanuts. Mom had the Speed Queen wringer washer, and the Electrolux vacuum cleaner, and the old coffee pot and stovetop broiler. The oldest record store in the country, George's Song Shop, still operates here in Johnstown, Pa. Slinky was invented in nearby Hollidaysburg, Pa. I still have a DYMO label maker. I've seen the egg slicers. Nice memory jogs.
beachbumdrl, chuck_VTX F and RBS like this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

Last edited by rangers4u; 07-21-2017 at 09:37 AM.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Is this what you mean Chuck? This one now hangs on the wall in my basement bar. As far as collecting bottles, that was my first job at 6 or 7 yrs old, sorting bottles at the corner grocery store. Remembered all of 'em (I'm real old).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170721_091951.jpg (146.2 KB, 17 views)
chuck_VTX F likes this.

LETS MAKE AMERICA MISERABLE AGAIN

No matter how the media spins Islam then and now, Sharia Law and our U.S. Constitution are not compatible. Moral relativism and tolerance to the point of ignorance will result in national suicide.

Freedom Outpost op/ed

"Darkside" 3/22/11 Yokohama Avid Touring S P205/60R16
2005 1800N2
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:49 AM

Garage
I remember all of them, except we didn't have that washing machine. Had the Stingray bicycle with the banana seat and tall sissy bar, big back tire and tiny front tire, but it had a 5 speed shifter and butterfly handlebars with dual mirrors! Also, my Dad worked at the Standard gas station wearing one of those uniforms, too.

@chuck_VTX F , those steering wheel spinner knobs are making a come back! I've seen them selling on eBay, and NOT "vintage" ones, but brand NEW! And 40 pound radios? I think you must be talking about a "light" one! I remember the ones that were in a tall standing wood cabinet that weighed probably 75 pounds or more, because it was thick SOLID wood, like the one in the movie "A Christmas Story", or it was similar to the turntable stereo cabinet in the OP, but JUST a radio!

By the time I was in high school, though, we had a 9 foot satellite dish in the side yard for TV, too, that would get EVERYTHING, and it was displayed on a 36" rear projection TV screen, with a BetaMax video cassette deck hooked up to it, that was "top of the line"! I also had a TI-99 COMPUTER that used cartridges or cassette tapes for programs!

WOW! This sure has brought back some memories!!
rangers4u likes this.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:13 AM

Garage
@jimmywalker... Radio.. 40 was a guess.... it was 5 feet tall... fancy wood.. like a single 16 inch speaker... maybe 12 vacuum tubes....
took 2 of us to haul it in the wagon.. I got it working ... I was 11... drug store for testing the tubes.

it was a curb side garbage day find. just like the many bicycle parts.

it had many short wave bands....
that got me interested in electrics an ham radio.
rangers4u likes this.

post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD View Post
Is this what you mean Chuck? This one now hangs on the wall in my basement bar. As far as collecting bottles, that was my first job at 6 or 7 yrs old, sorting bottles at the corner grocery store. Remembered all of 'em (I'm real old).
Yes BobD , that's exactly what I remember. A nice 'conversation piece' to have at your bar.

Jimbo. 1800c, Drag Bars, Drag Pipes, Chrome Wheels, 31T Ring Gear, BadX Extreme Seat, SOTMC Shocks, 200 Rear Tire, Elimination of all Non-essentials, Kingdom of Kicks.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:28 AM

This was fun. Someone mentioned party line phones.

I was describing a party line phone to a group of younger engineers recently and they looked at me like I was on glue. It was hilarious. I described operation and after a great deal of discussion, there were a lot of questions, one one stood up and told me I was full of it. Such a system never would have been used. No one could heave even a private conversation. At that point I took it a step further. A small hamlet a short way from the town I grew up in, until I was a young teen anyway, still used the fence line (barbed wire) as a telephone line. If your phone went dead, you would get on your horse (anyone remember those?), or if you were really lucky your Yamaha 100 enduro, and ride to your next closest neighbor and see if they had phone service. If they did , then you rode the other way until you found a break in your fence or another neighbor. Then it was their responsibility to check their fence and notify their next neighbor. Eventually you figured out who's cows got out and who's fence needed fixing. On that he declared I was a flat out liar. I sent him to the internet and after some time got the apology I deserved. Party line communication is still used in large industrial intercom systems. That was what started the discussion.
rangers4u likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page