Are You Old Enough To Remember...? - Page 3 - VTXOA
 74Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
chuck_VTX F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: RGV. Texas, Former N.E. Ohio
Posts: 8,608
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD View Post
Is this what you mean Chuck? This one now hangs on the wall in my basement bar. As far as collecting bottles, that was my first job at 6 or 7 yrs old, sorting bottles at the corner grocery store. Remembered all of 'em (I'm real old).
I took the liberty to rotate and enlarge your photo.. display Proud..


YES.

bottles.. the bigger boy's always got them..
I did lots of mowing grass.. shovel snow...
.
Harkon likes this.



2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 88,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 07-21-2017 at 10:33 AM.
chuck_VTX F is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
House O' Pain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!
Posts: 5,870
Lotta old farts

I think some time ago it was established (with a polling) that most of us on this site qualify as old farts.


I always enjoy a stroll down the memory lane of my youth. I honestly didn't see anything in the link I don't recall from my youth.


Collecting pop bottles was a Summer long daily ritual for us kids that grew up too poor to get an 'allowance'. The reward at the end of a long day of hunting was candy and soda pop, depending on the 'haul'. I remember one old guy gave me and my brothers his entire collection of returnable pop bottles and the treasure was so bountiful we had to haul it off in our red flyer wagon. We felt like it was Christmas, and I think we made ourselves sick off of candy.


I remember the days of gas station attendants, who would pump mom's gas, & wash the car windows. It is a prime example of how corporate America is giving us less and less while charging us more and more for it.


I'm old enough to remember penny candies, nickel and dime candy bars and .25 cent McDonald's burgers with .10 cent cokes.


Remember Blue Chip and Green Chip stamps?


My earliest memory is me riding in the back of my mom's 50's Chevy (?) standing on the drive shaft 'hump' that used to run along the middle of those old cars, as I hung onto the top/back of the front seat (no seatbelts then) to see through the front windshield. The car had one of those driver's search 'spotlights' and one of those plastic 'suicide' knobs on the steering wheel.


I have a fond memory of eating at a Woolworths' lunch counter with my Mom and eating a cherry pie ala mode. It was a very, very rare treat as we were really poor. I think it only happened that one time. The few times we ate at the A&W Root beer stand, it was a dream come true to down one of their icy cold root beer soda's delivered to us to our car window by girls on roller skates.

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry
_______________________________________________

Last edited by House O' Pain; 07-21-2017 at 01:43 PM.
House O' Pain is offline  
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Senior Member
 
drtrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: illinois
Posts: 6,148
Also remember all of them even a outhouse??
drtrider is offline  
 
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
 
vtox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Great PNWet
Posts: 5,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by House O' Pain View Post
I think some time ago it was established (with a polling) that most of us on this site qualify as old farts.


I always enjoy a stroll down the memory lane of my youth. I honestly didn't see anything in the link I don't recall from my youth.


Collecting pop bottles was a Summer long daily ritual for us kids that grew up too poor to get an 'allowance'. The reward at the end of a long day of hunting was candy and soda pop, depending on the 'haul'. I remember one old guy gave me and my brothers his entire collection of returnable pop bottles and the treasure was so bountiful we had to haul it off in our red flyer wagon. We felt like it was Christmas, and I think we made ourselves sick off of candy.


I remember the days of gas station attendants, who would pump mom's gas, & wash the car windows. It is a prime example of how corporate America is giving us less and less while charging us more and more for it.


I'm old enough to remember penny candies, nickel and dime candy bars and .25 cent McDonald's burgers with .10 cent cokes.


Remember Blue Chip and Green Chip stamps?


My earliest memory is me riding in the back of my mom's 50's Chevy (?) standing on the drive shaft 'hump' that used to run along the middle of those old cars, as I hung onto the top/back of the front seat (no seatbelts then) to see through the front windshield. The car had one of those driver's search 'spotlights' and one of those plastic 'suicide' knobs on the steering wheel.


I have a fond memory of eating at a Woolworths' lunch counter with my Mom and eating a cherry pie ala mode. It was a very, very rare treat as we were really poor. I think it only happened that one time. The few times we ate at the A&W Root beer stand, it was a dream come true to down one of their icy cold root beer soda's delivered to us to our car window by girls on roller skates.
Good post HOP, it's clear to see that we share humble beginnings. Collecting pop bottles was a big part of my early years, 2 cents for the little ones, a nickle for the big ones, and 25 cents worth of penny candy would set you up for an entire day back then.

My Mom was a waitress for several years then and worked at more than one Woolworth's lunch counter in the towns we lived in. She sometimes had two or three waitressing jobs at the same time and often it was food she would bring home from the restaurants that would fill the holes in our hungry bellies. We took care of ourselves from an early age given my Mom's work schedules and did things that I never felt comfortable letting my kids do when they were growing up. Before I was 8 we were riding our bikes when we had them or walking when we didn't, all the way across the towns we lived in. Sometimes with my Mom's knowledge and sometimes without. We knew where every apple and pear tree was within walking and riding distance and relied on them too to fill our bellies.
chuck_VTX F, RBS and rangers4u like this.

Last edited by vtox; 07-21-2017 at 06:38 PM.
vtox is online now  
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: oregon
Posts: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveroy60 View Post
I remeber all except the red head. I must have been drunk that night.
Same here but I won't forget the redhead.
rangers4u likes this.
guilfoil is offline  
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
RBS
Senior Member
 
RBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Corrupticut
Posts: 24,770
I remember the milk Man delivering milk to my grandmother's house.
There was an insulated cooler provided by the company on the front stoop.

When the milk bottle was empty, it got washed out & put back into the cooler & the milk man would pick them up the next time he delivered.


'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

'05 1300 S. BAK Slimline, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles, Ultimate Big Boy, Saddlemen Drifter Bags. 6,700 Miles. Sold.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.
RBS is online now  
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 05:35 AM
Senior Member
 
chuck_VTX F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: RGV. Texas, Former N.E. Ohio
Posts: 8,608
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS View Post
I remember the milk Man delivering milk to my grandmother's house.
There was an insulated cooler provided by the company on the front stoop.

When the milk bottle was empty, it got washed out & put back into the cooler & the milk man would pick them up the next time he delivered.


YES, same here.... and ICE COLD
RBS likes this.



2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 88,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
chuck_VTX F is online now  
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
rangers4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salix, Pa.
Posts: 5,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS View Post
I remember the milk Man delivering milk to my grandmother's house.
There was an insulated cooler provided by the company on the front stoop.

When the milk bottle was empty, it got washed out & put back into the cooler & the milk man would pick them up the next time he delivered.

And once in awhile, a kid would call him 'Daddy"!

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
rangers4u is offline  
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
RBS
Senior Member
 
RBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Corrupticut
Posts: 24,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4u View Post
And once in awhile, a kid would call him 'Daddy"!
I don't doubt that!

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

'05 1300 S. BAK Slimline, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles, Ultimate Big Boy, Saddlemen Drifter Bags. 6,700 Miles. Sold.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.
RBS is online now  
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Harkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,666
I remember the milk man. In our town we also had a bread man. We never bought our bread from the bread man because Mom always made her own, but some kids had to eat bought bread.


'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Harkon is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome