Mice or squirrels - Page 2 - VTXOA
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 11:33 AM

Garage
Even if you have squirrels, my money is on the mice. They love insulation, and I've found them in houses, dead in the walls, burned to a crisp because they were eating through live wires. The mothball idea is good, and I've seen it work.
On my last bike restoration - 1998 Yamaha Virago - the bike had been kept in a garage and not started for about 6 years. The owners manual was about 1/4 eaten, and I found about 500 sunflower seed shells in the air box. Both were the work of some busy (and industrious) mice.........

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21", Kury Engine Bar & Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Ultimate Seats, Cobra Slash-Cuts, Progressive 430 Shocks & Springs, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Show Chrome Fringe, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 03:37 PM

Funny this comes up now.
I heard some scratching around in my wall yesterday which I know from experience is an on again off again red squirrel issue. I set up a live trap as the only way in or out of the tiny opening they found in some sheet metal at ground level.

This morning I found the trap closed and instead of a pesky red squirrel (and they'll chew through anything including wall studs and wiring) I found a baby weasel! No more than 6" long.

I figured there's no way he was in the wall but I found on the internet that they have been known to go in looking for mice or squirrels to eat....could also be that he just smelled the peanut butter as he was passing by.

I set the trap up again to see if there were any more to come out before I seal it up or maybe it still was a squirrel still to be caught. Nothing yet this afternoon.
drtrider, Harkon and rangers4u like this.

VTX 1800R, QQ drop bags/fender, Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood head unit, custom seat.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineoops View Post
I use moth balls on my tractors that sit out under cover . They evaporate in about 3 weeks but mice , rats, snakes and squirrels hate moth balls.
Moths balls are ok to use but just so damn inconvenient. And the older I get the harder it is to use them.

Once you CATCH the moths, its a real pain to get their legs spread apart to harvest them.

2005 1800R (Ol' Ruby)
RIP: 2005 1300R (Ol' Silver)
Courtesy and Tolerance.........Courtesy begets Tolerance and Tolerance begets Courtesy.
AKA -- "Do Unto Others"

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wngd View Post
... I found a baby weasel! No more than 6" long...
I'm thinking you might have caught an adult female Least weasel. 6" is a typical full grown female. The timing is off by a couple months for a juvenile Long Tailed or Short Tailed weasel to be out of the den.

05 1300R -sadly sold 04 BMW K1200LT - Luxury Tourer, smooth efficient quiet power,sporty mile eater 05 BMW F650GS - rugged and elegant adventure tourer, does it all well, high speedcruising to rough dirt roads
IBA: SS1000,SS2000, SS3000, BBG1500, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, 4 Corners
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Just got done talking to the neighbor who works at a Honda dealership as a mechanic he said they had 20 cars that had wires that were chewed as stated earlier that. Cables are soy covered he mentioned that now the insurance companies are they might be suing the people that are making these wires out of got my GM truck back and it cost me $315 to fix it
PHATV likes this.

2003 c cobra floorboards-memphis windshield-roadhouse shorty
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadango View Post
Moths balls are ok to use but just so damn inconvenient. And the older I get the harder it is to use them.

Once you CATCH the moths, its a real pain to get their legs spread apart to harvest them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page