Mice or squirrels - VTXOA
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Mice or squirrels

Took my truck to the dealer to find out why my radio was not receiving stations on my radio. My truck is little over a year old. So the service manager calls me back to where the mechanic found the problem. Never thought it would be that. So he had the hood open took his light and showed me inside the cowl under where my radio antenna was. Firs there was insulation pulled out and the cable was chewed through. He thought the mice did it at first but I said I have squirrels running around and they might of chewed through it. So far the cable is 47 dollars and time to replace it is 2 to 5 hrs.. So can mice chew through a hard coax cable or would it be the squirrels
Harkon likes this.

2003 c cobra floorboards-memphis windshield-roadhouse shorty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 PM

Mice can chew through a cinder block! Some coax is nothing.
LJ likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:14 PM
Senior Pirate

I’m not an expert on either although I’ve never heard of squirrels chewing things. I may be wrong.

But, I do know first hand that large rats can get into a hole about 1/2” diameter, chew through 16 gauge insulated stranded copper wire, and like to eat Burger King ketchup. I discovered this when the fuel sender on my boat quit working and I traced it to the chewed wire under a deck hatch that only had a finger sized opening. The rats skull, some fur and an opened ketchup packet was all that was left. I guess the fast food did him in.

2014 Valkyrie F6C 1800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhyMU9BG6Ao

Red Knights MC
“343

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:28 PM

Garage
I used to have flower boxes on the rails of my back deck until the squirrels ate the plants out of them & then started eating the plastic flower boxes. That was the end to flowers on the deck. Remember, squirrels are rats with fluffy tails!
Harkon and nate6966 like this.

LETS MAKE AMERICA MISERABLE AGAIN

No matter how the media spins Islam then and now, Sharia Law and our U.S. Constitution are not compatible. Moral relativism and tolerance to the point of ignorance will result in national suicide.

Freedom Outpost op/ed

"Darkside" 3/22/11 Yokohama Avid Touring S P205/60R16
2005 1800N2
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:28 AM

Around these parts we call squirrels tree rats, and yes they will eat anything including a Sweet Gum tree's seeds. Indestructible round balls about the size of a golf ball.

04 1800 C.....Candy Orange Flame....R.I.P.
07 1800 C.....Well that's what the title said
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Old Goat

Their teeth never stop growing...they chew stuff to keep teeth in check and sharp.... on a similar note ..my sister and brother in law live out in the boonies in Wyoming...they have a Lexus convertible weekend car...took in for servicing every nook,crack and cranny full of dog food...but no chewed wires...

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 04-11-2018 at 09:07 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 09:05 AM

Garage
Probably squirrels if you have them. They chewed thru my brothers under house TV cable..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 AM

In the garage - any pet food, or anything else that may be considered "food" must be kept in a metal container with a metal lid.

Any cardboard, cloth, paper towels, etc. should be removed, as these make great nesting material.

We've found air boxes filled with pecans and plenums on the climate control filled with "nests".

Mice chewed the coil wires on the riding lawnmower, and made a huge nest in the flywheel on top of the motor.

THEN, this stray cat showed up. We immediately discovered that she had "talent".

of course, one must have "backup"......
Jimbo, KeyWasted and rangers4u like this.

Last edited by Justa_Poser; 04-11-2018 at 09:47 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

New wires these days are made from a soy based plastic and the vermin can smell this coating and they try to eat it. Just google mice ate my car wiring and you'll find hundreds of first hand accounts and even some news stories about this new wave of Eco friendly crap we now have to deal with
PHATV and StarrRider like this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 11:22 AM

I use moth balls on my tractors that sit out under cover . They evaporate in about 3 weeks but mice , rats, snakes and squirrels hate moth balls.
Harkon likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page