Video doorbells??????? - VTXOA
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Video doorbells???????

OK, video doorbells, who has them, what kind and what do you like and dislike about them?? We are looking at Consumer Reports best rated Nest and the runner up Ring

AMA Life Member 721314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:06 PM

Cafe member Maddog22 lives near Toronto, and installs security cameras as his business. Maybe contact him w/ a PM there and ask him.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:55 PM

We have the Ring spot light cam, would highly recommend it but make sure you have fast wifi. Only $3 a month to have storage to play back.
Chicago-Spike likes this.

Red 2004 1800N

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:53 PM

I did hear just recently that ring had some privacy issues. Amazon is reportedly trying to fix it if they haven't already, but food for thought.
Chicago-Spike likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
I did hear just recently that ring had some privacy issues. Amazon is reportedly trying to fix it if they haven't already, but food for thought.
Agreed.

However, they are not the only ones with issues.

The playing field is pretty level when it comes to spying on customers. EVERY network camera I've ever installed always tried to immediately report stuff to Chinese servers as soon as connected to them Ynterwebs. The only way around it is to put it on a secluded network or behind a firewall that doesn't let anything out unless you approve it. (like the live stream)

VTX 1800C
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_VTX View Post
Agreed.

However, they are not the only ones with issues.

The playing field is pretty level when it comes to spying on customers. EVERY network camera I've ever installed always tried to immediately report stuff to Chinese servers as soon as connected to them Ynterwebs. The only way around it is to put it on a secluded network or behind a firewall that doesn't let anything out unless you approve it. (like the live stream)
Good to know. This is the problem with a lot of this new stuff on our typical dynamic IP networks. You need a man in the middle to provide access because you never know what your public IP is going to be. No interwebs, no iPhone app to see who's at your door.
Sometimes old school is better for these things. A security cam server is really easy to set up. DynaDNS gets you a good web interface that can be secured behind a good router. Only downside, no push notifications. If you want the fancy phone app, you risk sharing your feed. I suppose it wouldn't be impossible to set up the home server to SMS alerts.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:35 PM

If they hack into mine they can stare at the veiw out my front porch 😉

Red 2004 1800N
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrider43 View Post
If they hack into mine they can stare at the veiw out my front porch 😉
That might not be a problem for you, but consider that if someone were targeting, saw an Amazon delivery at 9:30AM (doorbell cam), took a cruise by at 12:30PM, parcel still there, no one is home. AND, they know they need to conceal themselves as they know the camera view.

It may not be a big deal to some, I get that, but even to watch and establish some routine you have. You can take the position that "who would care?" but I think you'd be thinking differently if you were the one targeted. Not everyone's doorbell cam is going to be accessible, and not everyone has one, so with that, you can consider yourself on the short list.

This isn't intended to scare anyone, only just that people with such attitudes regarding their own security and privacy rarely realize that the criminal element will go to far greater lengths than most realize or would like to admit. It is almost better to not have one, than it is to make yourself a vector for intrusion.

Again, not to scare anyone, but I think it's important to not leave this topic understated.
LJ likes this.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:13 PM

I've always found it funny that if you ask someone if the government can put a listening device in their homes, the answer is always a vehement "No!"

Yet if you sell them a device that listens to every word you say, and tell them it will make their lives more convenient, they will spend $100's of dollars on that........
LJ, Harkon, lofty and 1 others like this.

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 02:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post
I've always found it funny that if you ask someone if the government can put a listening device in their homes, the answer is always a vehement "No!"

Yet if you sell them a device that listens to every word you say, and tell them it will make their lives more convenient, they will spend $100's of dollars on that........
It is called "progress" and is only for "progressive" people.

I like to screw with these people. I have been known to walk into meetings and say out loud "Hey Siri, look up foo". Substitute anything you like. Say "herpes", "how to build a pipe bomb" or "child p*rn" or whatever you fancy and watch the looks on all the idiot's faces while they're trying to comprehend WTF is about to happen.

Someone made a joke about Alexa too. Walk into someone's house and say out loud "Alexa, order a palette of popcorn. Confirm order".
PHATV, Harkon and lofty like this.

VTX 1800C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page