1954 How to dial your phone by Bell System - Page 2 - VTXOA
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:49 PM

Garage
10 November 1951: Direct Distance Dialing (DDD) first offered on trial basis at Englewood, New Jersey, to 11 selected major cities across the United States; this service grew rapidly across major cities during the 1950s

If you were on a party line you could not dial long distance. There was no way to identify which party was making the call.
Dial Operator

I believe a telephone switch using 4 or 5 digits to call local could not direct dial long distance.

I added eqpt in late 70's to the old Step by Step (SxS) switch so the calling party could be identified.
I added Touch tone (TT) receivers to the old SxS in some small offices so people could use TT phones to make calls.

http://www.telcomhistory.org/connect...cal-switching/
beachbumdrl and rangers4u like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 01-30-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
10 November 1951: Direct Distance Dialing (DDD) first offered on trial basis at Englewood, New Jersey, to 11 selected major cities across the United States; this service grew rapidly across major cities during the 1950s

If you were on a party line you could not dial long distance. There was no way to identify which party was making the call.
Dial Operator

I believe a telephone switch using 4 or 5 digits to call local could not direct dial long distance.

I added eqpt in late 70's to the old Step by Step (SxS) switch so the calling party could be identified.
I added Touch tone (TT) receivers to the old SxS in some small offices so people could use TT phones to make calls.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:44 PM

Garage
Good video.
A #5-XB switch with the guy on the ladder. Wire spring relays has platinum contacts.
When contacts wore down, new contacts could be welded on.

The paper tape that was punched was oily yellow paper 3 to 4 inches wide.
I worked in the New Orleans XBT switch, worked on the project to convert from paper tape to IBM System 7 using magnetic tape.

I also worked on the 411 "Directory Assistance" project to bill you for the service.
The good old days except for the hours, many months of 11 - 7 night work.
rangers4u likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 05:29 AM

Garage
the only thing I know about the phone system...

in the 1970's telephone interface to home alarm systems..
I installed alarm systems... We called the phone people... get appointment..

arrive at customer home.. wait, wait.. then phone people arrive...

take 3 to 4 hours for them to install a box.. an a few wires..

only people I have seen that worked slower.. where the local water department ground crews...

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:06 AM

An anecdote about the old phones: After my wife passed and the boy and I moved from the house to an apartment, we had downstairs neighbors that were very old. We soon became quite friendly with them. This was around 2008. One day they asked for a hand moving some furniture and we went into their apartment. The boy gets me on the side and says; "pop, what is that?!" He had seen their rotary dial desk phone. I couldn't help laughing out loud. I think it was like looking at a Model T to him.
rangers4u likes this.

Jimbo. 1800c, Drag Bars, Drag Pipes, Chrome Wheels, 31T Ring Gear, BadX Extreme Seat, SOTMC Shocks, 200 Rear Tire, Elimination of all Non-essentials, Kingdom of Kicks.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
I was 3..
I was two! And still remember my number Orange 7-2886, later changed to 677-2886. Rotary phone on a desk, with a six foot cord. People nowadays have no idea about the past, with all the technology.

I remember doing "fantasy baseball" with my brothers back in the early 60s. We would each pick position players for the week, then check the box scores in the paper. Best stats had bragging rights. Oh the memories!

Dan

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/soonernomo/CAM00074_zps18241eb3.jpg

'07 1800N, Ultimate Big Boy seat, USA Trailer Store fairing w/Long Ride Shields 9" windshield, Leather Lyke bags, G-Max 195/60-16 tire, MCHitch trailer hitch, Cycle Mate CM2000 trailer
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 03:36 PM

2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 10:37 AM
LJ

Technology is a wonderful thing...in the right hands. I was 3 at the time of this 'switch', and remember party lines, rotary...and finally, push button. We've come a long way.

Now...there is one number speed dial or voice command. Imagine what we'll have in another 10-20 years. You don't see many people anymore with those 'bug' looking things sticking out of their ears, walking around talking to themselves...or so it seems. I must have answered over a hundred people, thinking they were talking to me.

Personal information used to be 'private'...but now, people walk around in the stores talking on their phones so loud, you learn all about Aunt Gladis who has incontinence, had a physical exam, blood drawn and walks around half naked. Sometimes, I truly believe that 'good' technology makes people STUPID!
RBS likes this.

This post created with 100% recycled electrons.

Take Care...and, Stay Safe!

LJ
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ View Post
Technology is a wonderful thing...in the right hands. I was 3 at the time of this 'switch', and remember party lines, rotary...and finally, push button. We've come a long way.

Now...there is one number speed dial or voice command. Imagine what we'll have in another 10-20 years. You don't see many people anymore with those 'bug' looking things sticking out of their ears, walking around talking to themselves...or so it seems. I must have answered over a hundred people, thinking they were talking to me.

Personal information used to be 'private'...but now, people walk around in the stores talking on their phones so loud, you learn all about Aunt Gladis who has incontinence, had a physical exam, blood drawn and walks around half naked. Sometimes, I truly believe that 'good' technology makes people STUPID!
GLADYS was my paternal Grandma with the party line phone, lol. Who remembers Junior Samples from Hee-Haw? "The number to call....is BR-549!
LJ likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:28 PM

Garage

analog push button phones.
rangers4u likes this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page