• 1 Post By LJ
  • 4 Post By lofty
  • 2 Post By dud-57

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
RBS

A Good Man!

Florida Man Buys 100+ Generators To Send To The Bahamas
LJ, Capt. Rory and steveroy60 like this.

Democrats & Republicans- 2 Sides Of A Counterfeit Coin.

I'm Not Politically Correct - I'm Honest.

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:08 PM

First, awesome, generous human being.

For the person who did the post, why can't people simply report the actual number, he must have been standing right there to know that it was 100+, why couldn't he say the actual number? 101, 105, 150, 199?

2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:12 AM

Sorry, makes my suss-o-meter start to move off of zero. The world loves a good news story. Never let the facts get in the way. Or, maybe I'm just a cynic.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty View Post
Sorry, makes my suss-o-meter start to move off of zero. The world loves a good news story. Never let the facts get in the way. Or, maybe I'm just a cynic.
I need an interpreter. What does that mean?

As for complaints about not posting an exact number - wow, talk about missing the point!!! What kind of buttinsky would intrude on someone else’s shopping business to tally up exactly how many items the other person is buying? What a nonsensical thing to complain about.
LJ, RBS, Capt. Rory and 1 others like this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:34 PM

2003 VTX 1800R
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud-57 View Post
I need an interpreter. What does that mean?

As for complaints about not posting an exact number - wow, talk about missing the point!!! What kind of buttinsky would intrude on someone else’s shopping business to tally up exactly how many items the other person is buying? What a nonsensical thing to complain about.
A) The very first words of my response was to fully acknowledge and admire the generosity of the donor. Sorry you missed that or forgot it!

B) If your paying attention, this type of reporting has become pervasive throughout the news and social media and just points the general laziness of people.

Police chase suspect at 100+ mph speeds. The police know exactly what their maximum speed was during the chase. What's the point of saying 100+, why don't they simply say "during the chase speeds reached 112 mph?

Hurricane winds recorded at 120+ mph. If they were recording wind speed, they know exactly what the maximum recorded speed was. What's the point of saying 120+, why don't they simply say "the maxium recorded wind speed was 124 mph at some specific place at some specific time during the storm? The Weather Channel is the worst offender in this example.

Would you accept a job if the offer letter said they would pay you $10 per day? If not, why not? And why not apply that same expectation to everything else.

The list goes on and on. For me I would like for someone, anyone, to report accurate facts.

"What kind of buttinsky would intrude on someone else’s shopping business to tally up exactly how many items the other person is buying?" Well, obviously the guy who made the original post intruded enough to count to 100. But I am guessing that the generous guy making the purchase did not roll up to the cash register with 100+ generators in a cart, but probably went to the cash register (or maybe the Customer Service Counter) and said I'd like to purchase a very specific number generators. He probably did NOT say 100+ generators. So the guy how did the post not only invaded buyer privacy by listening, he was even a bigger buttinsky for posting it on social media.

But sorry, you missed my point. This post of 100+ was just being used as an example of a much bigger issue in news media who are supposed to be accurately reporting facts.
lofty and DrDolittle like this.

2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler

Last edited by VTXCRZR; 09-08-2019 at 04:02 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:19 PM
LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXCRZR View Post
A) The very first words of my response was to fully acknowledge and admire the generosity of the donor. Sorry you missed that or forgot it!

B) If your paying attention, this type of reporting has become pervasive throughout the news and social media and just points the general laziness of people.

Police chase suspect at 100+ mph speeds. The police know exactly what their maximum speed was during the chase. What's the point of saying 100+, why don't they simply say "during the chase speeds reached 112 mph?

Hurricane winds recorded at 120+ mph. If they were recording wind speed, they know exactly what the maximum recorded speed was. What's the point of saying 120+, why don't they simply say "the maxium recorded wind speed was 124 mph at some specific place at some specific time during the storm? The Weather Channel is the worst offender in this example.

Would you accept a job if the offer letter said they would pay you $10 per day? If not, why not? And why not apply that same expectation to everything else.

The list goes on and on. For me I would like for someone, anyone, to report accurate facts.

"What kind of buttinsky would intrude on someone else’s shopping business to tally up exactly how many items the other person is buying?" Well, obviously the guy who made the original post intruded enough to count to 100. But I am guessing that the generous guy making the purchase did not roll up to the cash register with 100+ generators in a cart, but probably went to the cash register (or maybe the Customer Service Counter) and said I'd like to purchase a very specific number generators. He probably did NOT say 100+ generators. So the guy how did the post not only invaded buyer privacy by listening, he was even a bigger buttinsky for posting it on social media.

But sorry, you missed my point. This post of 100+ was just being used as an example of a much bigger issue in news media who are supposed to be accurately reporting facts.
I get what you're saying and presenting. But this type of reporting is nothing new. The msm/talking heads present a lack of truth/facts to desensitize the public, to get them used to NOT hearing the full facts/truth of what is being reported. It's a manipulation on society...or possibly just a plain ol` means of continuing to dumb-down those who are not paying attention.

Nevertheless, don't let these lack of numbers control your emotions. Look at the big picture and what the context of the story is truly conveying. One man did a very heart-felt thing to help his fellow mankind, to help those in very much need at this time in their life. What I would truly like is; a followup to this story to see if his generosity helped, or did someone take advantage of his generosity and misuse his gifting for nafarious reasons.

My thoughts, anyway...
DrDolittle likes this.

This post created with 100% recycled electrons.

Take Care...and, Stay Safe!

LJ
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=dud-57;4609552]I need an interpreter. What does that mean?

Sorry Dud, I am talking Australian again and not American English. We all have a personal suss o meter. It is when you see something that makes you think it is suspect or suspicious. The news services know they need to finish a news bulletin with a good news story or you won't tune in tomorrow. Same with internet news, etc. If there is no heart warming good news story make one up! I work in the correctional services field and I believe nothing I hear and only half of what I see. Until there are fact checks or references I assume it is bull****. Yes, cynical, but it has held me in good stead.
LJ, RBS, Capt. Rory and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the explanation, Lofty. I agree that a skeptical outlook is usually quite healthy (and necessary) in today's world.
lofty and DrDolittle like this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page