Yep..That's How It Was... - Page 2 - VTXOA
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilfoil View Post
i was born in 1943 and just went back to work as a machinist and am having a ball. Work 6 hours a day and put out as much work as the others do in 8 and have been complimented on it by management. And working is keeping me active and busy plus more cash coming in. Best thing I've done in 12 years since I retired.
Aaahh! How can I say this without offending anyone, especially you guilfoil. Why were you not enjoying being retired? Did you not replace your hours of work and toil with things that gave you pleasure? Here in Australia I will get the age pension at 66.5 and I am currently 63. I cant wait to retire. My parents (both in their mid 90s) go dancing three times a week and are out every day for lunch or at the senior citizens club functions and have been having the time of their lives since Dad stopped work at 60. There are so many things to do when you stop work that fill your day and should make you happy. I rode today with 17 of my retired friends who meet every Wednesday to ride and enjoy each others company.
Here the government wants to delay or get out of paying the age pension to people so there are good news stories (an oxymoron, I know) that show people that just love the fact that they are still working and plan to do so for ever (does anyone live that long?) None of them are bricklayers or furniture removalists by the way. My body is breaking down through years of hard labour and my mind is tired of other peoples ****e. I have never worked for pleasure but to earn a living to pay my way through life. Im sorry but I just don't get it, this desire to work on. To each his own, no offence meant to anyone.
RBS and rangers4u like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:26 AM

I'm all in favor of retiring when you are ready / able / and want to. I do understand guilfoils reasoning for going back to work too. Being a machinist is kind of a specialized trade and there are some jobs that people just really really enjoy doing, that sounds like his case. Also, we all spend most of our life going to work every day because we HAVE to. Going back to work after you retire is usually done because you WANT to. Big difference I think. It's his hobby but he also gets paid.
RBS and rangers4u like this.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclejohn View Post
But,

If you are born in the year 2000 wouldn't you have to wait until about the year 2085 (or so) to see what the life expectancy WAS if you were born in the year 2000?

If you are born in the year 2016 wouldn't you have to wait until about the year 2100 (or so) to see what the life expectancy WAS if you were born in the year 2016?

I guess I'm not familiar with predicting future life spans based on guessing vs. actual data. Feel free to enlighten me .

'WAS' is the past tense of 'is', meaning, the life has already been lived and the expectancy was derived from that data.

I saw Texas in your sig so I typed all of this real slow .

And Thank You for the hook-up on the definition of 'expectancy'.
Simple everyday expectations that may elude you:

If you work this week, wouldn't you expect a check next payday?
If you leave on a day trip on your motorcycle, wouldn't you expect to arrive at your destination around a certain time and then return home around a certain time?
If your girlfriend tells you she's pregnant, wouldn't you expect a baby in about 9 months? (Assuming she tells you as soon as she knows. Otherwise, subtract the lag time from 9 months)
When the new baby arrives, wouldn't you expect it to graduate from high school about 17 years into the future?
When you started working, didn't you develop and expectation as to when you will retire and what it will look like some 20 to 30 years in the future?
When you look at the ages that your grandparents and possibly your parents died, wouldn't you expect to live at least as long, if not longer given all the improvements in quality of life, nutrition, medical care?

So no, we can't actually see into the future, be we make predictions and set expectations about the future every single day based on the best available information. Sometimes we are dead on and other times not so much. But we carry those expectations until we get there.

"If you are born in the year 2000 wouldn't you have to wait until about the year 2085 (or so) to see what the life expectancy WAS if you were born in the year 2000?"
No, if you wait until they die, you will know what the life span of that individual actually was. It becomes a fact. Again, I refer you back to the definition of expectancy.
Harkon likes this.

2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler

Last edited by VTXCRZR; 09-11-2019 at 04:52 PM.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:34 AM

VTXCRZR,

I was just funnin' around with you brother.

Take care,
John
pushrod likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page