Greed - VTXOA
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Greed

Gidday guys, We recently had comic com come through town and John Travolta was paid a bag full of money to fly out here and be the main celebrity for the tour. At each city he was charging $200 Australian (about $150 your money) for an autograph. $250 for a photo with him and $500 for an autographed photo with him. It just seems somewhat greedy to me as he was already being paid appearance money. Then friends and I were discussing the "meet and greet" malarkey that goes on. I'm old fashioned but I remember when so called stars were happy to build a fan base. Sure you have to put in a lot of work to get where he is ( and I am jealous that I am not collecting royalties for work I did in the 70s and 80s) Has anyone on this forum paid money for autographs or meet the star malarkey? How much money do these people need?
LJ, RBS, Harkon and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 03:16 AM
RBS

Nope, NEVER!
The only performer I'd pay to see was Rodney Dangerfield, and he's been gone several years now.
As far as autographs, it's not my thing. .

Although, in 4th grade, I did receive an autographed pic of Richard Chamberlain. He played
Dr. Kildare, also many years later, stared in Sho-Gun.

My Grandmother knew his family.

The last Rock concert I went to was Jefferson Starship, in the mid 1970s
Ticket cost me15 bucks.

Democrats & Republicans- 2 Sides Of A Counterfeit Coin.

I'm Not Politically Correct - I'm Honest.

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty View Post
How much money do these people need?
You summed it up Greed. Most of the rich people are greedy hoarding money always wanting more. When the next stock market/housing collapse hits the U.S, it's gonna be painful for the rich, they will see their assets evaporate right before their eyes. As for as poor people paying to go see a famous person and get a autograph it's a total waste of money. Bad choices keep poor people poor.
RBS, Harkon and lofty like this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:18 AM
LJ

I sense that; Travolta was charging people because that was his way of saying; "Don't bother me!" Nevertheless, I don't doubt that he lost a lot of respect by charging so much. I'm sure it wasn't about the money...he just didn't want to be overwhelmed with hundreds of people wanting a 'free' autograph.

On the flip side of getting an autograph, there are many out there who would get the autograph, and then put it on evilbay and ask $500 for it.

I'm just playing devils advocate here with a different perspective.
RBS likes this.

This post created with 100% recycled electrons.

Take Care...and, Stay Safe!

LJ
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:21 AM

Rich people are rich because they are greedy. It's a part of the formula. There are, of course, varying degrees of such.

BUT, the math doesn't add up.
$200 = autograph
$250 = photo
$500 = autographed photo.

If we took a picture, and had him sign it, that would add up to $450. What's the extra $50 for? Anyone that paid that is, IMO, beyond stupid. Actually anyone that would pay for someone's signature is beyond stupid. I guess that's what scientology teaches ... gouge the stupid.

"If God did not want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep"

Eli Wallach as Calvera in
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
LJ and lofty like this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Last edited by Harkon; 11-16-2019 at 12:29 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Maybe the many male prostitutes that Travolta is so fond of have raised their rates?

Keeping addicktions secret probably isn’t cheap.
PHATV, Capt. Rory and lofty like this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud-57 View Post
Maybe the many male prostitutes that Travolta is so fond of have raised their rates?

Keeping addicktions secret probably isn’t cheap.
Whaaaaaa????

Scientology won't like that one bit!

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Last edited by Harkon; 11-15-2019 at 12:30 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 12:33 AM

He has private hangars on his property holding his two private jets (one is like a 737 or something) that he flies (he is a pilot of that caliber). But those things are what, $100M? He needs some money, boys. Pay up and get yourself a signed photo.

"IF YOU LOVE WEALTH GREATER THAN LIBERTY, THE TRANQUILITY OF SERVITUDE GREATER THAN THE ANIMATING CONTEST FOR FREEDOM, GO HOME FROM US IN PEACE. WE SEEK NOT YOUR CONSEL, NOR YOUR ARMS. CROUCH DOWN AND LICK THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU; MAY YOUR CHAINS SET LIGHTLY UPON YOU, AND MAY POSTERITY FORGET THAT YOU WERE OUR COUNTRYMEN!" ---SAMUEL ADAMS

"ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES! WE WON!!!"---BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA, 2012
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATV View Post
He has private hangars on his property holding his two private jets (one is like a 737 or something) that he flies (he is a pilot of that caliber). But those things are what, $100M? He needs some money, boys. Pay up and get yourself a signed photo.
The thing about being rich and famous, first when traveling you can't anywhere like anyone else in the general population. You live a confined life shielded life from people that may want to harm you or your family when your famous. All this stuff costs - the private jet or jets, properties, homes, cars, personal to upkeep and maintenance on all these things. you also have bodyguards and security systems, there are also insurance and taxes expenses owning all this stuff. You need a CPA to do your tax returns. You need a financial adviser/ money manager to oversee your money and investments to maintain/ grow your wealth to continue to live a high end lifestyle.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
The thing about being rich and famous, first when traveling you can't anywhere like anyone else in the general population. You live a confined life shielded life from people that may want to harm you or your family when your famous. All this stuff costs - the private jet or jets, properties, homes, cars, personal to upkeep and maintenance on all these things. you also have bodyguards and security systems, there are also insurance and taxes expenses owning all this stuff. You need a CPA to do your tax returns. You need a financial adviser/ money manager to oversee your money and investments to maintain/ grow your wealth to continue to live a high end lifestyle.
Yeah, it's a tough life ... eh?
PHATV, RBS and lofty like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page