Lane Splitting - Page 2 - VTXOA
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 07:39 AM

Garage
agreed Lofty

the Mind Set,
public road manners .

I always work to get out front... and stay there..

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 10:11 AM

Garage
Non riders just do not understand why lane splitting should be legal and why there is a reason for it. Ever been stuck in bumper to bummer crawling traffic? Even better yet on inclines. Got arthritic hands? Believe me it's a joy. Another is the fact air cooled bikes have got to move.

A lot of my riding is in situations as above, and splitting is not legal here. I have done a tiny bit of it really bad traffic messes, but my nerves can't take much of it. As others have said it would take many years for drivers to get accustomed to it.
RBS, Harkon, lofty and 1 others like this.

'04 1300S or at least used to be.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Rory View Post
Non riders just do not understand why lane splitting should be legal and why there is a reason for it. Ever been stuck in bumper to bummer crawling traffic? Even better yet on inclines. Got arthritic hands? Believe me it's a joy. Another is the fact air cooled bikes have got to move.

A lot of my riding is in situations as above, and splitting is not legal here. I have done a tiny bit of it really bad traffic messes, but my nerves can't take much of it. As others have said it would take many years for drivers to get accustomed to it.
I agree. Arthritic hands and air cooled bikes don't necessarily make a legal argument, but all of it does help road congestion. People having to shut down their bikes, even if only because the right leg is frying, or because you aren't forever in and out of gear because holding the clutch is a challenge, which isn't necessarily limited to only those with arthritis, these things all help expedite forward movement as a whole.

Yet as you mentioned, there are far too many people out there would resent that one moves ahead while others do not, and would use their vehicle as a weapon to enforce their own "justice". We have more than enough of that already to worry about, and that is what scares me the most about it.

I have, on occasion, found better ways around traffic, essentially lane splitting to avoid a mess, but only with the greatest of caution and with all senses on high alert.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 12:03 PM
JPT

Garage
I live in Long Island, NY. So VERY congested. Vehicles ride bumpers to make sure no one cuts in. Because of this, riding in the normal spot of a lane is dangerous, especially in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

So, what I do is, when traffic is stopped, I ride between cars, but as soon as the traffic moves, I jump back into the lane. If I get pulled over, I will take the ticket, but at least I will be safer.
RBS, Capt. Rory and lofty like this.

2009 VTX1300R
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 12:45 PM

Garage
Agreed, culture has to do with it a lot.
Look at Asia. 1-track vehicles are the norm there and their crash rates are much lower than in the US. They move whole families on a single bike.

Also, I hate to admit it but my old-lady-mother, for example, surprised me with "hell no" when I mentioned lane splitting (for some reason). She had that mindset that nobody can "cheat" and go faster than stopped traffic. The typical "if I can't, nobody can" thinking.
I told her that I might be on an air-cooled bike or it might be 100F outside and the boiling hot air from all the cars running A/C around me is cooking me. So moving fwd slowly helps me cool and get out of the jam so that I can get home and not die from dehydration. She said that she never thought of it that way. She learned something new that day.

So as we all agree, it is in the mindset and culture. Until people accept it as a way of life, we are in danger.
RBS, Capt. Rory and Harkon like this.

VTX 1800C
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_VTX View Post
Agreed, culture has to do with it a lot.
Look at Asia. 1-track vehicles are the norm there and their crash rates are much lower than in the US. They move whole families on a single bike.

Also, I hate to admit it but my old-lady-mother, for example, surprised me with "hell no" when I mentioned lane splitting (for some reason). She had that mindset that nobody can "cheat" and go faster than stopped traffic. The typical "if I can't, nobody can" thinking.
I told her that I might be on an air-cooled bike or it might be 100F outside and the boiling hot air from all the cars running A/C around me is cooking me. So moving fwd slowly helps me cool and get out of the jam so that I can get home and not die from dehydration. She said that she never thought of it that way. She learned something new that day.

So as we all agree, it is in the mindset and culture. Until people accept it as a way of life, we are in danger.
Interesting. I'm not sure I believe the crash rates citation though. From a culture where automobile accidents and motorcycle incidents are largely unreported and undocumented, I'm not sure I'd bank on that. I am, however, only speaking from what I've read about in motorcycling magazines from people who have rented and ridden there. I have no first hand experience regarding that.
skeeter69392 likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 07:14 PM

yep lane splitting and no helmet law.
that's the way to ride a motorcycle...lol
PHATV, PCX and RBS like this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
Just saw and interesting blurb on HD forums regarding lane splitting.

https://www.hdforums.com/articles/la...-for-everyone/

As a rider I think it's a great idea, but I'm not sure the mentality of the drivers in my area are at all conducive to safety while lane splitting. In the lower mainland (ie, Greater Vancouver, BC), I think it would work much better than it would here, unless there was a distinct shift in the mentality of the drivers. We have some snow on the ground here now, and the most selfish of drivers make themselves all the more obvious in such driving conditions. Those drivers don't seem to understand that they are sharing the road with others. Around here there seems to be a lot of these drivers.

I remember, some time back, before I got my VTX, I was several years without a bike and there was a rider that always lane split on our drive to work. I remember thinking that this was incredibly irresponsible and he was looking to get hurt. I would never ... EVER ... put anyone in harms way due to their acting, what was in my mind, irresponsible, but many others might. It's,. in the mind of many, unfair that someone on a motorcycle should be able to circumvent the traffic everyone else is stuck in. "How dare they!". Yet as a motorcyclist, I can see how getting bikes, that use up almost as much space as a small car, through lights and bottlenecks faster, does nothing but reduce the amount of time angry cagers need to spend waiting.

What are your thoughts on the local cager population, and would you feel safe lane splitting in your area? Should it be universally adopted?
I am not comfortable to have many drivers around me in insulated cars of metal wishing something horrible happens to me!
RBS likes this.

Maurice
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 12:55 AM

I try not to split but sometimes you just have to go for it. For some of the reasons mentioned. But! It is still an unwise move. What do you think all the drivers of cars and pickups are doing when they are just kinda moving. Texting. When they mess up and have to avoid the vehicle in front of them, where do they go? They instinctively swerve to the right or left. Mostly right.

And here comes little, lane splitter dude . . . well zesting hurts and I'll leave it at that.

Bikes are not in control of that situation. No way, no how.

When you are young you want what everyone else has . . when you are old you want what everyone else had.
D. Lee Schulte I ride a Honda because Toyota doesn't make motorcycles. 2005 VTX 1800N3 (black)

Last edited by Xerothermic; 11-23-2019 at 08:53 AM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 02:01 AM

Riding in Asia is fraught with danger but the code over there is You are responsible for your own safety. When holidaying in Bali as a young man I rented bikes and once you realise there are virtually no road rules, besides give way to anything larger than you it works surprisingly well. There are very few accidents, its just a case of forgetting the I am in the right, and I have right of way bull****. Mind you that was when I had the bravado of youth as I would never ride a bike over there anymore. My wife and I hire a car and driver. It is still somewhat scary when they overtake on what I consider blind corners. There are so many people on the roads it is a mindset of "just fit in"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page