Lane Splitting - Page 3 - VTXOA
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty View Post
Riding in Asia is fraught with danger but the code over there is You are responsible for your own safety. When holidaying in Bali as a young man I rented bikes and once you realise there are virtually no road rules, besides give way to anything larger than you it works surprisingly well. There are very few accidents, its just a case of forgetting the I am in the right, and I have right of way bull****. Mind you that was when I had the bravado of youth as I would never ride a bike over there anymore. My wife and I hire a car and driver. It is still somewhat scary when they overtake on what I consider blind corners. There are so many people on the roads it is a mindset of "just fit in"
I think you mailed it exactly, at least for around here. There is a culture of rights and entitlement as opposed to just get along. Most seem far too worried about someone else somehow screwing them out of something as opposed to just sharing the road. People tend to be very emboldened, these days, in anonymity, and people feel they have that anonymity while in a car, or on a bike, or whatever. So they can tend to act completely different than if they were not anonymous. It's almost an arrogance that comes out. Already arrogant people are even worse. As riders we need to be 100% aware 100% of the time.
vtox, Capt. Rory and lofty like this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 11:53 AM

Garage
Regarding the hdforum, first photo plenty space due to wide lanes.
Second photo I would be knocking on mirrors.
I see mirrors not the open space.
Traffic moving, I stay in lane.

If traffic is stopped I have split lanes or gone to the half lane next to center wall or shoulder to get ahead or get off.
A rare event because I make a large loop wide of Atlanta I-285 on the east side(going north).
Going west on I-285(bottom) is usually good and I can exit to 4 lane divided hwy than to 2 lane rd.

ATL traffic sucks, many drive like they stole it.
They are the dangerous ones.
Capt. Rory and estr bunny like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 02:01 PM

Garage
No thank you on the lane splitting. If I'm in that much of a hurry or that impatient... I'm no longer riding a cruiser. There is enough challenges riding in high traffic already.
RBS and skeeter69392 like this.

08 VTX1800F Cobra pipes, PC III, ROX 2"risers

"I have never been lost. I was once bewildered for three days, but I was never lost." Daniel Boone

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 02:50 PM

Garage
I do wish that it was legal / acceptable to move to the front at a stop light here in AZ. One of my biggest fears in traffic is getting rear ended. Yes I always move to the far left of my lane to not be directly behind the car in front of me and always try and have an escape route along with vigilant checking of my mirrors until a few cars are behind me. But I still get nervous sitting at lights in traffic. I MUCH prefer to be at the front.
RBS likes this.

2003 VTX 1800R - Cobra Speedster Longs - K&N w/decapped stock air box - Power Commander III, Rostra Cruise =

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page