1800 Ground Fix, by Tapper - Page 2 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:51 PM

I just did my fix this weekend. Idle smoothed out nice and got the bike I love back

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Life is not a journey to end in a well preserved vessel,
rather to go in sliding sideways totally used up shouting hell yeah, what a ride

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:43 PM

I just performed this mod today and so far, so good.

Support our troops and Honor our HEROES! Fly your flag daily
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03 1800R -Memphis Shades - Hyper Chrgr - PC III - Desmog - C VTXExhaust - Lindby bar - Mustang seat - Dark Side!
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Question ground fix

Ok what if you where to put a wire from the major gound point connecking like making a ground loop usind a 8 ga wire iam thinking there would be no more ground problem ever a good wiring guy could hide these wires good all iam saying if had problem with grounding this would fix the prblem for good what do you think

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] have you smoked ur daily bowl

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 07:47 PM

Ground problem

is this a concern for the 1300 as well? I am going to do my 1800N3 this weekend but my wife has a 1300R. should i be concerned about her bike also?

2005 VTX1800N3 Brite Blue Metalic, V&H Big Shots, Hyper Charger, Cobra FI2000 fuel programer, Ultimate four pice seat w/inlaied blue ostrich, Memphis 21" windshield and Metz 200 rear 150 front.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock-x View Post
is this a concern for the 1300 as well? I am going to do my 1800N3 this weekend but my wife has a 1300R. should i be concerned about her bike also?
No, only the 1800

AMA Life Member 721314
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 PM

2002 1800c backfire

Thanks for the ground wire mod info. I am working through this now. A note to some...the re-routing of the 1st ground wire next to the oil filter is more of a "replace this wire it is now too short". That said, I started this search because when I first start the bike it runs fairly smooth, but once it warms up (and i'm guessing it goes from an open loop/full choke type of operation to a closed loop operation where the computer is trying to balance things after it sees the thermocoupler is at some temperature) it starts to skip a bit, and then starts to backfire on decceleration when slowing on engine drag, in particular. Also have some fouling of rear cylinder after a few thousand miles. Appear to have good spark and hoping that the ground fix will be the difference and the computer isnt bad. Computer self-diagnostics say all is good. Any thoughts? Air filter seems to be clear and exhaust connections to engine are not off, so no error in compression from leakage...
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:23 AM
gogo14910

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! I'm going to try this mod. I have the tools and understanding. I have very little motorcycle mechanic expirience. How long should it take? Should I try it myself?
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:17 PM

Secondary Battery Ground

I did the ground fix on my bike ('05 1800F) yesterday, and could not find the ground as pictured. So what is a secondary ground, anyway? Same thing only redundant? The only cable from the Neg battery terminal was the ground to the bottom of the engine case. Thanks for the help.

As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:15 PM

I know what I am going to do this weekend!! Thank you!!!!!

'02 1800 C Gone 10-17

2009 Victory Vision Tour
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 09:07 AM

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Did the ground fix Saturday afternoon, took her for a 430 mile ride yesterday....WOW!! What a difference!! It runs like a 1800 should now, decel pop is better, not gone, Desmog hopefully soon, getting block off plates!

Thank you gentlemen for sharing the wealth of knowledge about the X! Oh, and the gas milage is better too...gained 3mpg, its actually hitting on all 4 plugs!

I love this place!!

'02 1800 C Gone 10-17

2009 Victory Vision Tour

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page