What Octane Gas in the VTX? By Tapper - Page 3 - VTXOA
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Owings View Post
I read and followed your technical info with photo's for correcting the ground problems. When I read you description of the symptoms I said he has been riding my 02 VTX 1800c. Last night I took the gas tank off and did all the steps in your article. I had already done the battery thing and my bike has the "correct" system ground bottom of engine near oil filter.
I installed a set of 03 heat range plugs due to all the info that says 02's had too low heat range plugs. I also bought 4 gal. of premium and poured it in the bike last night after reinstalling the gas tank. When it warms up this afternoon I am going to take it out and hopefully my problem will be fixed!
Thanks for the article which I printed out and used at the bench with photo's and all.
I will let you know if all is well after the test ride.
My name is Fred Owings by the way and I am gald to meet you.

fastfreddie

fastfreddie
Using premium will not fix the problem. You must have read the article wrong. Premium is NOT needed in the VTX. Using it only makes the oil companies happy and your VTX will run worse and get worse fuel mileage. It also will foul the plugs

AMA Life Member 721314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:53 AM

I should have checked this thread out when I first joined! I have been running 91 octane in my X. It's performed fantastic, but I will not be running anymore of it. If Honda's engineers say regular, that's all I need.

I gotta say, Chicago-Spike, I always find your posts informative, and want to say thanks for the info you share
post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:14 AM

Purchuased my '03 1800s in '05 as a leftover, and like alot of the other posts here "nothing but the best for my bike" ran 93. Then after the bike had around 1k miles on it I went on a 250mile trip and decided to save $ and run 87. Noticed the bike was running smoother at low speeds, with no loss of power. It also seemed to run cooler, but that could just be my imgination. Since then it has only had 87 in it, and now has 9k miles on it, with no plug problems. Nice to know it was not just me that found this out.

post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 08:43 PM

The manual says 87 octane. That's good enough for me. If it should act up, it needs some service, not snake oil or 100 octane aircraft grade fuel.

'03 Red 1300-s Retro.
post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 02:55 AM

So now what do I do? Just bought my VTX 1300T today and the last "tip" the salesman gives me is "Always run premium gas". Bike has 70 miles on it. Which gas?
post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1 View Post
Which gas?
87!

Salesman don't know chit usually.....maybe he was confused with a jet ski or lawnmower.

[SIGPIC]https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic173_1.gif[/SIGPIC]
'04 1300 C, black, RIP
'04 1300 C, orange, for now
shut up and ride
post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1 View Post
So now what do I do? Just bought my VTX 1300T today and the last "tip" the salesman gives me is "Always run premium gas". Bike has 70 miles on it. Which gas?
You don't listen to salesman is what you do. As said, the VTX was DESIGNED to run on the lowest octane fuel available to you.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmack View Post
That Toyota "must" run much better on higher octane !!!!

If not then WHY was Michael Waltrip and his entire Toyota team so severely punished for using OCTANE booster at the Daytona 500 ?
Cars are very differet from the VTX. Car ECU/ECM have the ability to read what fuel is in the tank and adjust the engine timing to better use any octane from lowest to premium. The VTX ECU can NOT adjust timing

AMA Life Member 721314
post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Again, if you could adjust the timing of your VTX, yes you could benefit from high octane fuels. But you can't, so it won't do a darn thing for your VTX.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 05:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to pmack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Again, if you could adjust the timing of your VTX, yes you could benefit from high octane fuels. But you can't, so it won't do a darn thing for your VTX.
Now that's the answer I was lookin' for !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page