What Octane Gas in the VTX? By Tapper - Page 5 - VTXOA
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 PM

I started out running Premium in my 1300. It had bunch of decel popping. I then switched to mid grade and the decel popping lessened, Now I run only regular and the bike runs great. Hardly any decel popping.

I'm sold on regular grade. Try it, you'll like it.

2007 VTX 1300 C - Mustang Touring Seat with Backrest, Pyle 600 watt Stereo, Memphis Shades Batwing Faring, Radiantz LED Taillight, Rapasomething Saddlebags with LED Run/Brake, Glen's Gas Cap Hinge, Glen's A/F screw, Vance & Hines Cruzer Exhaust, XM receiver,Kuryakan Passenger Boards and Kuryankan Mini Tour Bag, Walmart Bullet 50 watt Driving lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 12:59 PM

87 octane , 87 octane , 87 octane . water cooled = 87 octane ! get it , got it , do it !

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]" Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out a car window" and ride it like you stole it from a outlaw biker !!
post #43 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 01:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednfastvtx View Post
87 octane , 87 octane , 87 octane . water cooled = 87 octane ! get it , got it , do it !
Actually water cooled has nothing to do with it. It IS all about compression ratio.

Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, My LED, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. 4400 lumen H4 LED headlights available [email protected] "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

post #44 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 04:31 PM

and here i thought i was hurting my baby letting her run on 87 for the past 3 years...
thanks for the confirmation!

2005 VTX 1300-R, White Walls, Light Bar & Lids, Both Backrests, Both Boards, Highway Bar, Screens, Big Shots (NO quiet baffles LPSL), K&N air filter ,Speakers aka AC/DC on Tour, Chrome Chrome Chrome...
post #45 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 PM

there are a few factors that come into play on the grade of gas you use . i just picked the easiest for some to understand .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]" Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out a car window" and ride it like you stole it from a outlaw biker !!
post #46 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednfastvtx View Post
there are a few factors that come into play on the grade of gas you use . i just picked the easiest for some to understand .
This said with a smile but key factor regarding octane is the compression of the engine. Higher pressure requires higher octane to prevent spark knock aka ping. Old VWs run great on lower octane- mill the heads to make 'em 'race cars' and the ping starts.

Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, My LED, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. 4400 lumen H4 LED headlights available [email protected] "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

post #47 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 AM

Thumbs up Great Info!

Holy Smokes! This is great information all the way around (I have learned more here in a few short days than I have picked up anywhere else in years. A few immediate observations - I was religiously guilty (right up til yesterday) of pumping 91 Octane into both my X and my V Star because it certainly had to be the best....... I was just commenting to myself today on the ride home "damn....sure is a lot of decel popping!" (Stock pipes on the V Star and have never had a pop out of it - I have V&H on the X - pops like a demon while winding down from the sexy rumble of power) I'm going to finish out this tank and start putting 87 in there for all of the reasons discussed throughout this thread. Thanks Spike! Also thanks to the other folks who had experience-based input that augmented the excellent article this thread started with. Great info!

Lovin' Life....one glorious mile at a time.
~2006 VTX1300R - Candy Black Cherry~
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #48 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksterp69 View Post
That was what I was told. I've always ran premium in all my bikes. I've had all kinds and been riding 40 years. I've never seen any where where it says to use 87 and I don't know who told you that, use what you want but I'll stay with high grade.
Check your manual for the compression ration. You are pissing money away and not doing your bike any good by using ANY gas above 87 octane,
And Mother Honda is the one telling you that as well as thousands of VTX riders on both 1300 and 1800 models.

post #49 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksterp69 View Post
That was what I was told. I've always ran premium in all my bikes. I've had all kinds and been riding 40 years. I've never seen any where where it says to use 87 and I don't know who told you that, use what you want but I'll stay with high grade.
It says so right in your owners manual and the Honda factory reps and designers told me at the Honda Homecoming at the Honda plant in Marysville Ohio. "Premium" does NOT mean "Best" in fuel grades. Do some homework and become INFORMED and you can learn a LOT more about engines than your salesman. They know CRAP usually and anyone that told you to run premium in your VTX that was DESIGNED to run on the lowest octane available, is a moron. Your VTX is a low compression engine requiring low octane fuel to run properly. Using high octane will foul your combustion chambers and plugs(just go back and read all about the plug fouling on the 1800 ) and lose you money and power.

But, if you're smarter than the engineers that designed the VTX, then by all means, run racing fuel in it

AMA Life Member 721314
post #50 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
It says so right in your owners manual and the Honda factory reps and designers told me at the Honda Homecoming at the Honda plant in Marysville Ohio. "Premium" does NOT mean "Best" in fuel grades. Do some homework and become INFORMED and you can learn a LOT more about engines than your salesman. They know CRAP usually and anyone that told you to run premium in your VTX that was DESIGNED to run on the lowest octane available, is a moron. Your VTX is a low compression engine requiring low octane fuel to run properly. Using high octane will foul your combustion chambers and plugs(just go back and read all about the plug fouling on the 1800 ) and lose you money and power.

But, if you're smarter than the engineers that designed the VTX, then by all means, run racing fuel in it

Hey Spike - he might just need hi octane now. All that carbon build up will raise the compression ration and the little bits of glowing carbon WILL cause pre-ignition AKA ping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page