Nash.VTX's Relay / Fuse block schematic - Page 2 - VTXOA
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 PM

I'm about to mount a stereo to my bike in a fairing, and also a 12v power outlet for my GPS. I want to run a fuse block, to run everything

I'm also going to be adding a lightbar, and LED's down the road.

I come off the battery to the fuse block. then out to the relays?

You show coming off the battery right to a relay, then 30/51 , then 87 over to the fuse block. 85 is ground , and 86 is I'm gussing the + wire to the item you want to feed correct?

2005 Retro 1300. XR Fairing,Tsukayu Jumbo Hardbags, Scootworks Super Trunk III, Ultimate Seat, V&H Big Shots, HID Headlight and more !
Visit my website for pictures of my X : http://www.flickr.com/photos/fltekdiver/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 01:59 PM

what is the purpose of coming off the battery to a relay first, then back over to the fuse block?

wouldn't you want to power the fuse block with a 30amp inline fuse, dirrectley to the battery?

2005 Retro 1300. XR Fairing,Tsukayu Jumbo Hardbags, Scootworks Super Trunk III, Ultimate Seat, V&H Big Shots, HID Headlight and more !
Visit my website for pictures of my X : http://www.flickr.com/photos/fltekdiver/
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-VTX-Rider View Post
what is the purpose of coming off the battery to a relay first, then back over to the fuse block?

wouldn't you want to power the fuse block with a 30amp inline fuse, dirrectley to the battery?
So it will be live only with the key on.
If you went straight though, it would be live all the time.

[SIGPIC]https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic173_1.gif[/SIGPIC]
'04 1300 C, black, RIP
'04 1300 C, orange, for now
shut up and ride

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 04:16 PM

Ok, that makes sense somewhat, but then aren't you putting all the amperage through the first relay for everything?

Also, some things may be on all the time, such as LED's
Which would be connected to the fuse box also.

Whats the difference if you have a in-line fuse straight to the fuse box, then out to everything vs running straight off the fuse-box, then using the trigger wire when you turn the key on, then that feeds power through the relay to the item you want powered.

Reason I'm asking, I'm wiring everything up tonight, fuse box, etc for the radio, GPS, LED's and Light-bar

Don't mean to high jack the thread sorry

Also, on a 2005 1300R, is there any other wire to use as the trigger wire other than in the can?

I looked under the seat, and I don't have the 4th wire coming out of the harness plug

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 04:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to elwray
Yes, you are putting everything through the first relay, but it's okay since it's a relay. Either you switch it all to "key on" in the first place with a relay (AND FUSE!) to the fuse box, or you can switch each individual thing hooked up with its own relay.

For instance, when I just installed MY fuse block, I already had everything wired on it's own relay. so my fuse block, for the time being at least, it just wired straight to the battery with a fuse. it is "hot" all the time, but each individual item (running lights, gps, etc) are all on their own relay so they aren't on all the time.

2007 VTX1300C Pearl White
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
Yes, you are putting everything through the first relay, but it's okay since it's a relay. Either you switch it all to "key on" in the first place with a relay (AND FUSE!) to the fuse box, or you can switch each individual thing hooked up with its own relay.

For instance, when I just installed MY fuse block, I already had everything wired on it's own relay. so my fuse block, for the time being at least, it just wired straight to the battery with a fuse. it is "hot" all the time, but each individual item (running lights, gps, etc) are all on their own relay so they aren't on all the time.

Ok, that sounds the way i want to do it.

Now I plan on running everything through a relay, each item. So that means everything item, such as the stereo , then the GPS, will all use the same trigger wire for the " Key On " for the power to trigger the relays?

I just bought 3 relays from Autozone, so I should use the following 3's on the relay in this order:
  1. Power from battery right to fuse block with 30amp inline fuse.
  2. Power from fuse block to realy # 30/51
  3. #86 off relay goes to trigger wire
  4. #87 power the item your hooking up
  5. #85 Is ground

Such as this from rattlebars:

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 04:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to elwray
You're right on the relay terminal wiring.

But, just a thought:

Since you'll be hooking up the stereo and gps both to "key on" trigger, why not just use ONE relay to trigger the fuse block to "key on" and then go straight to the fuse block with the power for the stereo and gps? It will save a lot of wiring and hassle IMO..

That's how I would have done it in the first place if I didn't already have it already wired.

2007 VTX1300C Pearl White
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 PM

I understand the simple method , by wiring each thing up as I go.

I understand his schematic on top, but not sure how to sure how to wire everything , because he has extra stuff in there, such as switch's , etc.

I was going to run the GPS straight to the block with no relay, because it pulls so little, and also because it's not hard wired, so I'll be wiring up a 12v power outlet, and running the GPS through that.

Also, I want to run LED's etc, off the block, which I'll be leaving on during the night for a few hours when we go out

So I'll need constant power for those

What do you think?

Thanks for your help

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205902
Guys, please read this before posting on here. Ask your questions and figure it out on the 1300 board so that only posts that are either a "How To" or a "Step-by-Step" are here for people to navigate easier.
Thanks

AMA Life Member 721314
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:20 AM

Fuse Block

Greetings Tenn X'r,

I am adding a stebel horn and a power outlet before a trip coming up, I am not much on wiring, wife wants me to get help..dawg has volunterred to give me a hand...so the fuse block is the way to go..and can I get this from any electrical shoppe??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page