Tires; Tire Size Calc, Car Tire List, Wheels, Final Drives, Fender Rail Pic - Page 2 - VTXOA
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

This is just a list of what tires have been used. If you want/need specific information, go to the car tire message board for that please.
Click here;
http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/index.htm

AMA Life Member 721314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:00 PM

How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike

How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike
Doesn't matter make or model.

If you are going to try and switch to a wider tire or a little taller tire then you have now , and want to see if it will fit without mods try this.
Buy some kids modeling clay (dollar-tree $1.).
Roll out a 1" thick (hotdog shape) piece , about 12 " long and press it to your tire from rim to rim, tape if necessary.

Get on your bike, and your wife on the back and roll the bike back and forth , make sure you don't run over the clay.
Then get off the bike and look where the clay is dented or scraped and measure the height from the tire to the thinnest part of the clay.

Again both of you get back on and roll the bike so the clay is at the point of closest contact and jump up and down.
Then check again to see if the clay is distorted and measure the height from the tire to the thinnest part of the clay.
Lets say that you have 25"tall tire and the dent on the clay is at the top of the tire and is just over 1/2" thick, and you double it (top and bottom) and you now can go 1" taller , or a 26" tall tire.
But if you have a tire 6"wide and the dent is on the one side and is 3/4", and no dent on the other side,, you now can go to a tire just a little smaller then 7.5" wide.
I know these are not very good examples but you can get the idea of how to find your max tire measurement.

good luck,
Horse

USAF ret. ,,2006 VTX1300c Candy black cherry
May the Horse be with you young Flywalker.

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/index.htm
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 PM

Rear Tire Remova

Rear tire removal notes

2003 retro with V & H Big Shots; here's what works for me:
  1. Crack the axle nut with a 27mm. box-end wrench while the bike and tire is on the ground.
  2. Lift the bike on a stand and place a few 2x4 supports under the front tire, to keep the bike front from see-sawing once you pull the rear tire.
  3. Place an MC lift (or other support) under the rear tire so that you can move the rear tire slightly up and down to work the axle out.
  4. Loosen and tie-up the rear brake caliper so that it is out of the way and does not add undue stress on the brake-line.
  5. To undo the axle, it is best to place a 12 mm hex on the drive side to unscrew the nut. Then use a small broom handle or round to push the axle through. The spacer is uniform so it goes back either way.
  6. Move the supports out from under the wheel as you let it slide straight down and out from the left side. It will come free from the shaft drive which is closed and will not leak oil.
  7. Replacing the new tire is relatively the same procedure, backwards. Be sure to check the directional arrow on the tire to be sure you are facing the correct side forward.
  8. Be careful that you do not damage the rotor while transporting the wheel or, better yet, remove the rotor so that it does not get bent during the tire change.
  9. You might also wish to place a soda bottle cap (should fit in snugly, backwards) into the axle hole to keep debris from getting in.
  10. Lastly, you may wish to check the flange bearings while you have the rear tire off.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 03:01 PM

Removing a tire with zip ties

I came across this video on facebook.

Maybe it will help someone out there

http://moto.legendaryspeed.com/aweso...easy-zip-ties/
VTX53R likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 03:57 PM

I may throw a bag of those in my bags, just in case.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 08:39 PM

Garage
WOW!! Cool, thanks..... Me Likey!!!

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 09:11 PM

Garage
Very Cool!
I really appreciate good old fashioned ingenuity and creativity.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:34 PM

Garage
I'd be interested to see if it would work on a rear tire for the 1300. I tried it but couldn't get the sidewall to compress anywhere near enough to get the tire off. His tire looks like a lower profile. I even tried using more zip ties but no go.
Didn't try a front tire.

'05 Goldwing, '11 Ultra Classic & '03 VTX 1300S, 3" HKs, MS fairing, Harley hard bags, Glen's permanent A/F tool, LED front running lights, LED run/turn/brake strip on trunk. John 3:16
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 04:28 PM

It doesn't work real good on a car tire, I tried it late last year. I just use the 'ol tire spoons to take them off. Once the wheel/tire lays in the sun for a bit and warms up. three spoons, a little lube and good old pressure they pop right off. Same for mounting except a whole lot more lube.

Dan

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/soonernomo/CAM00074_zps18241eb3.jpg

'07 1800N, Ultimate Big Boy seat, USA Trailer Store fairing w/Long Ride Shields 9" windshield, Leather Lyke bags, G-Max 195/60-16 tire, MCHitch trailer hitch, Cycle Mate CM2000 trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page