Air, Fuel, Motors, and missives. Article. (Updated 1/3/06) - Page 3 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 12:46 PM

Re: De Tuning Hell / Starved More Like it

So Tapper are you for or against the De-smog ? I was going to do the desmog got the block off plates and ten read your outstanding article now I don't know if I should do the desmog or not... Now I understand my Bike is not a race bike and splitting hairs will not make any diffrence that I can feel, but I don't want to mess up the system, but at the same time if the small change the desmog makes in sound better .... ???
THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO TO HELP US OUT !
Dave

All my life I've been over the top...
I don't know what I'm doing all I know is I dont want to stop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 05:47 AM

decel pop ... again

I have Cobra drag pipes with cobra fuel manager (came on bike when purchased). So to conclude would the majority say that to desmog, in an effort to reduce or eliminate decel pop, is not the greatest idea because; it may be better to let the fresh air in and burn off the unburnt gasses and keep the exhaust cleaner? Will this burning of gasses blue pipes faster?
I ordered the block off plates and now I'm second guessing myself on what to do!

Thanks again everyone
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Re: decel pop ... again

Quote:
Originally Posted by scongo
I have Cobra drag pipes with cobra fuel manager (came on bike when purchased). So to conclude would the majority say that to desmog, in an effort to reduce or eliminate decel pop, is not the greatest idea because; it may be better to let the fresh air in and burn off the unburnt gasses and keep the exhaust cleaner? Will this burning of gasses blue pipes faster?
I ordered the block off plates and now I'm second guessing myself on what to do!

Thanks again everyone
No, it IS better to do the desmog instead of pooring fuel at the problem with a fuel manager. The pipes won't blue because you remove the pair system.

AMA Life Member 721314

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 01:03 PM

awesome post!
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:38 PM

This post is phenomenal. I understood the concept of engines (mainly because I'm addicted to motoGP and it baffles me how those machines stick 238hp rwhp from a liter bike to the pavement) BUT I have 2 questions. "Hot rodding" the engine by adding more air and fuel will for sure reduce the engine longevity. But look at Ducati and KTM, hell even the M109r, they all run over 12:1 compression on their twins and with the proper (yet extra high maintenance factor) they run for over 100k miles producing 130hp-170hp, the vtx1800 has 9:1. I see what Honda did, mainly because I owned a civic SI and I currently work for their largest competitor (Toyota) their missive was efficient and idiot proof but yet fun, I don't think any of us are idiots so it would be like a slap to (soichiro) honda's face NOT to modify this behemoth of an engine to its full potential!

Which leads to my second question, I have been thinking about what to do to my bike since I bought it last week, I love the power but it's alllllmost where i want it, sportbike wise this vtx is allllmost there 0-60 wise. BTW I'm about to throw some numbers out there that are based on the "measured" rwhp of this machine from the factory (I only have 11,000 miles on my bike so the motor is barely broke in anyways) so I'm reading 97rwhp does that sound about right? Or is it less? Power to weight wise; me on my super sport I was achieving 1hp per 5.8lbs of mass which personally I thought was ridiculously fast. With the vtx I'm somewhere around 9lbs/hp. From what I read on the site already if you are pushing over 150rwhp you are setting the final drive up for failure. So I've set my goal to let's say 125rwhp, which is do-able and I feel I would be completely satisfied with that.

So far the bike I bought had a k/n carbon filter, kyruakyn (sp?) hypercharger, "bud" pipes and other rider friendly accessories, I'm about to do a full over haul on the engine fluids, just changed the oil to Lucas oil 10w-40 semi synthetic which made it shift way better than the supposed HP oil the previous owner had in it. So with these mods MAYBE I'm make 100rwhp? 105 if I wish reeeaaaal hard. What gains would I see from the following; stage 2 "street-strip mill/port/polish to the cylinder head and intake, PCM 3, some one mentioned aggressive cam? (Yikes that must be expensive), what about larger valves? Would I achieve 125rwhp by using a combination of these? how much would all that extra fuel and air filling the cylinder affect the compression ratio??

I see this post is ridiculously old but you guys know your stuff so help a guy out haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page